cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Piece...Please Help ID

Thank you for any information you can provide. What it is, era, maker, value, etc.

Is this piece victorian? The handle and plate beneath the handle are made of metal. Could be tin because the piece is very lightweight. The metal has a brass finish over a silver metal. The brass finish has very ornate flowers and scrolls. The handle has what looks like a "crest" design on both sides. The 
plate is attached to a wood base with two very small tack nails; one on each end. Note: the handle does not turn and it looks like the handle and plate are one piece.

Peeking out from under the plate (at each end) is what looks like very old fragile discolored paper?

I posted this in the Antiques category, too. One person thought it might be an ink blotter. Another provided input that all "Victorian" ink blotters have curved bottoms, which is what I've seen with most vintage blotters in my research. A third thought it could be a tobacco weight. It is so lightweight that I can't imagine it being a weight. It weighs 1.5 oz. Is it possible it could be a weight?

Measurements: 4.75 inches long x 1.5 inches wide x 0.75 inches high (without the handle); 1.75 inches high (with the handle) 

Is this a blotter? Weight? Or what is it?

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Greetings frm Philadelphia. Looks like a nail buffer to me - part of a manicure set.

DD

FineLinesandFleaFinds

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you for such a quick reply. Yes, it does look like it could be a nail buffer. It's about the right size 5" x 3.5" x 1".

I will dig deeper.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply