cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting gold coins below spot

I would like your opinion on the following,all comments welcome-

I come across a company.selling gold at $750 per ounce,20 ounce minimum.

This is what the salesman said-

They mine gold in South America and it costs them $300 per ounce,they wil ship them to US,and the US office will ship to you,personal check or wiretransfer are acceptable payment methods.

Your choice is either 20 rounds (.999 pure) or 2 ten ounces bars.

Now if you prefer, you can have 20 Maples leaves or Gold Eagle or 2 assay 10 unces gold bars , it will cost them $50 to ship their .999 gold to their dealers in exchange for the gold coins or assay bars,since their cost is $300,$50 extra is not going to kill them.

It could take up to 90 days to get your gold as their refinery capacity is small although they are expanding.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think you are going to get RIPPED OFF.

NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE will sell gold at that price.

The 90 days is to give them time to disappear with your $15,000.

@tippyalway

Come back and let us know about this...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Wait a minute.  Do you mean the email I got from that Nigerian Prince..........OH MAN!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

thanks for your response, it is so UNlike ebay, no PAYPAL or credit card payment so no chargeback.

No upload tracking within 24 hours and take up to 30 days to deliver.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@tippyalway wrote:

thanks for your response, it is so UNlike ebay, no PAYPAL or credit card payment so no chargeback.

No upload tracking within 24 hours and take up to 30 days to deliver.

You said "I come across a company".  Was this on eBay?

If so, is the listing still active?

@tippyalway

Did you buy some?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

No, not on Ebay, I saw it in the Wall Street Journal ad page.

They are supposed to send me some brochure, I am still waiting.

The $750 is from the Columbian mine and the Nevada mine price is much higher, like whatever the spot price is.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

They cant list on Ebay as they dont take credit card and you have to be a qualified buyer.

The ad they run is a one incher. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

As a seller I like to complain about eBays fees & policies when the don't suit me. I am sure everyone gripes about it from time to time. But thet give you more for that 6% or whatever they take when they "plunder" our paypal accounts each months. They alsso give us a safetty net from predators that, all in all, works pretty well. Eventhe WSJ will run an ad placed by a predator if the predator pays their rates.  But with eBay, things like that never see the light of day. Because you cannot sella promise oneBay and  get away with it.  You cannot even sell a service. You have to sell a physical item.  That is the difference. If you sent these people check or money order for $15K, your chances of ever seeing it again would be very slim.  But would eBay, ifyou did not get your gold, at least youwould eventually getyour $ back.

A few months ago, I found some coins that were obviously fake, being sold on eBay for ridiculous prices.  The one Ibought was a trade dollar that hd the reverse froma seated liberty. They wanted $20 for it. They claimed it was silver. For me just the novelty of having the coin was worth $20 s Ibought one, and it shipped just before eBay shut the site down. Since they claimed it was silver but the customs form declared brass when it arrived, I had a case. Iopened it and got my $20 back. It was a case of me using eBay's buyer protection to put one over on a scammer !  That felt good! There have been other cases of eBay saving me from predators, especially when I first started. But it does not happen very often because the predators are usually gone before we even see them. And that is part of what I pay eBay for.

As a seller, I am a nobody. Most of us are. There are a few big name retailers on eBay who are known and trusted. Most of us are as unknown the predator  whoplaced that ad in the WSJ. But people buy my stuff. Why? Because if I don't deliver they know they are covered. My buyers do not have to know and trust me personally because they know I would not be selling on eBay very long if I don;t come through. And if I want to remain a TopRated SEller I have to come through cosistently. I think buyers & sellers think of eBay as a place for people to market things to a large audience. But they do more than that. They protect us both as buyers and as sellers from those who want something for nothing. Though they donot do it perfectly, they do a fairy good job. IfI sold my coins by placing an ad ona site that did not make sure I delivered what I was paid for, I would not sell anything. 

Conversely as a buyer, without that level of protection, you are vulnerable to the "send me a check for $1000 dollars and I will tell you how you can make $100,000 without any effort at all, from the comfort of your home" types. If it is too good to be true, it most likely is. Sometimes you can find things that are terrific bargains on eBay. Otherwise people would not shop there. You will also run into predators on eBay, But as a seller, itis just as important to me that eBay by & large keeps them out & by association gives me a reputation as it is that they present my stuff to a large audience.

Buy your gold here or from a trusted bullion dealer, not fromsome guy in colombia whopromises it for less than spot but wants a bundle of cash up front.

OK I have babbled long enough.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Sorry for the Typos. I should proof before I post!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply