cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to coin world. Frankin half dollar, toned? Certify?

Hello all. I am newish to the coin world, been collecting and selling coins for about 2 years now.  I am curious if this 1957 franklin half dollar is considered toned? The coin slip it was in was falling apart, but it had unc written on it. If it's toned and uncirculated then I can make some profit on it. Is it worth getting it certified? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Seems the protective "slip" let in air and the silver oxidized around the perimenter. It's still uncirculated but not BU (brilliant unc.) Someone looking for BU would locate another one. Personally, I wouldn't get it certified, but that's just me.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

in regard to coinage only-would suggest you join a few numismatic clubs and also go to coin shows, or big antique-collectible venues where there might be coin dealers there also.go see a local coin expert in your area. ask various coin dealers who they recommend for rating. sign up for online coin auctions. from this you will get a base of definitions for brilliant/uncirculated/toned etc and how to rate coins. note that the words like brilliant/uncirculated/toned differ throughout the coin world, and at times they don't mean squat to value to coin collectors who are looking for other qualities. and last but not least , look up this coin on eBay and google to get an idea of general value, and any minute special details to this coin that would add higher value.
hope this helps 🙂
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

great ideas! I'm in Portland Oregon and there are always some sort of coin or antique  expo going on. There seem to be less and less coin shops open around here as time goes on unfortunately.

If it were your coin, would you certify it?

I appreciate your recommendations!  Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply