cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this group -- question about a 1922 silver dollar

I just acquired this silver dollar and was wondering if I should attempt to clean it in any way before selling. Would using a polishing cloth for silver jewelry be appropriate, or should I just leave it alone and sell as-is?

dollar 002.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The rule of thumb is to NEVER clean coins or paper money. I won't tell you that I wouldn't use very soft detergent and a very soft tooth brush. I will say that if you use a silver polishing cloth it will harm it, I would have to say if you want to get top money for your coin to leave it alone, but if the price is going to be harmed by leaving it like this it may not hurt to use detergent and a very mild tooth brush.
I dont think that cleaning any coin is a good idea for any reason but that is only a decision you can make. 90% of the time noatter how a coin is cleaned a good eye will see it.

I hope this helps you! Again I don't think cleaning a coin is a good idea! Good luck
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the detailed response. I guess my question is: how do I know if the price is going to be harmed by leaving it the way I got it? As you can see, it looks very dark and tarnished.  It's quite hard to make out any of the beautiful details on the coin.  Here's a photo of the other side.  Any further thoughts?  Thanks again for your input.

dollar 002.JPG

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well I don't know how long you have been collecting but you need to know what the coin is worth to begin with. I'm not trying g to be mean but if.you don't k ow what the coin is worth you may have already paid too much. I don't know if you know much about grading but it all has a part in it. If the coin is only worth (example) say$20.00 and you pay $25 you have already lost. If you paid $15 for it well now you need to kown what grade you think it is. Is it still a $20 coin?
If you paid spot (the cost it would be to scrap it) and if a light cleaning would help it then you may choose to lightly clean it and it may help the price of the coin.
It takes time to get to know all of this. What I can tell you is that Generally cleaning a coin will bring the price of the coin down especially if you don't know how to do it. I don't suggest anyone but an experienced person clean a coin. If you want it for a belt buckle or jewelry of some sort then the grade doesn't matter. If you want it as a coin and for the grade Don't clean it!
The coin you have seems to have some scratches on the reverse( the back) and hopefully you didn't pay much for it. It doesn't look like a bad coin! Good grade coins are worth a premium and the mint mark also has a lot to play in it. Many factors that influence the actual price that can be realized from a coin. This coin from i can tell is probably worth around (a guess only) $18.00 to $20.00 onlyy opinion! I hope I have helped in some way, but it is your choice to Clean or Not to Clean.

Good luck
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

That Coin is worth around $15.36 if sold as scrap.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I don't know about the other responders, and this is not a matter of opinion, any Numismatist will tell you: never, ever, under ANY circumstances clean, wipe, wash or attempt to "polish up" a coin in ANY WAY. Period. This coin is worth more uncleaned, any day, hands down. Now. On to value. The other responders are telling you about "spot price". That's the price of "melt" or silver by the ounce. Although your coin is not particularly rare, in fact it's quite common, it's still a COLLECTOR COIN, and therefore not usually purchased for "spot price". It's generally purchased by a collector. Most collectors would pay about $18-22 for your coin in its current condition. However... That being said, if you have never sold coins on eBuyer before, please do not try selling this one here, you won't have a good end result, trust me! Try taking it to a local flea market, coin show or shop. You'll at least get a couple dollars more than what you paid for it. Happy collecting!
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I think that is what I told them? Your price is about the same as mine. Not sure if what I said is a problem? Anyway I stand behind everything I said! Hope I was helpful! Thank you
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

due diligence on research. there is a very very long story and extreme difference of values on peace dollars.also many commemoratives etc were made. have a coin dealer look at it. most coins shops will give you info. go to more than one place.look up and compare pictures and pricing of authentic 1922 issue 90% silver peace dollars. etc.. agree with animater9.. if you do not know what you have, and if there is a possibility that cleaning might hurt and or detract from a higher value , then do not clean.
🙂
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@animater9, yes it was, my apologies, I did not see your comment. My main issue was with the posters recommending that the coin should be cleaned or wiped. (:
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you, everyone, for the great information.  Lucky for me, I was given this coin by a friend, so anything I get for it will be on the plus side.  Naturally I was hoping it would be very rare and valuable , even in its present condition, but a quick eBay search told me that there are many of them out there, and most appear to be in much better condition. Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply