cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning coins and care

In the many years I have spent collecting I found hanging around the old timers shops I acquired a font off knowledge and made some great friends. I love to dive in the dumpsters around my complex because of the treasures that through negligence or just no interest. I buy double eagles just to feel in my pocket. The feel of a precious metal coin in my hands is awesome.
Anyway, I learned that cleaning a coin other than wiping hand oil off is discouraged and hurts their value. I don't listen some times just because I love the look and feel of the precious metal in my hands. Also I want to do my part cause other coins to appreciate in value.
I also love breaking sets. Oh, plastic cases and celllo fitted holders allow them to be handled without damaging them. Like collector cards its all about how they are stored and handled. Get kids started with plastic cases that keep finger prints and oils, accidentally dropping or just plain air and Light.
Stamps and jewelry follow suit as do my guitars and fine wood instruments.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Cleaning coins and care

@themarlonbandos wrote:
In the many years I have spent collecting I found hanging around the old timers shops I acquired a font off knowledge and made some great friends. I love to dive in the dumpsters around my complex because of the treasures that through negligence or just no interest. I buy double eagles just to feel in my pocket. The feel of a precious metal coin in my hands is awesome.
Anyway, I learned that cleaning a coin other than wiping hand oil off is discouraged and hurts their value. I don't listen some times just because I love the look and feel of the precious metal in my hands. Also I want to do my part cause other coins to appreciate in value.
I also love breaking sets. Oh, plastic cases and celllo fitted holders allow them to be handled without damaging them. Like collector cards its all about how they are stored and handled. Get kids started with plastic cases that keep finger prints and oils, accidentally dropping or just plain air and Light.
Stamps and jewelry follow suit as do my guitars and fine wood instruments.

You have something seriously wrong with you. Smiley Very Happy

You destroy the value when you clean coins AND when you break open sets. To most collectors, it is a terrible idea.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Cleaning coins and care

If you do buy gold coins or coins at all then you know what you are saying is a bunch of junk. They on the other hand are your coins and you can do whatever you wish to do with them! 

This message is from someone that is just wanting to get a rise out of people. If you believe what this person says he does you may be more of a dope then he is! Lol 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Cleaning coins and care

If the coin has any collector value, I would NOT clean them. If they are face value or near face value I see no problem cleaning them.  Placing multiple coins in your pocket will cause contact marks which will devalue the coins. Gold coins are "softer"  and pocket marks and wear will accumulate easier. I would absolutely not carry gold or collectible coins in my pocket....except maybe Kennedy Halves and Eisenhower Dollars for the "feel".

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Cleaning coins and care

The person that started this post is only trying to get people going! Don't give them the satisfaction, of course unless you just have Nothing more to do. 

If you read their post they don't listen anyway

Message 5 of 5
latest reply