cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1839 P Capped Bust. Look Kosher?

Just bought from a dealer I don't know, and I'm a relative newbie anyway. Does it look kosher? Noting the scratch on reverse, still seemed a little cheap at $39. Any opinions?

IMG_0554.JPGIMG_0558.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hi, @nanapong1.

You bought that on eBay?

That coin doesn't 'look right' to me. Collectors can't explain it, but there is just a look to some coins that makes them look 'fake.' It could be cleaned, and I could be wrong though.

I'd take it out of the flip and weigh it first. It should weigh exactly 13.36 grams. If it weighs more or less, it is not real.

Next, consider the price...The 2016 Red Book says that this coin in G-4 condition is worth $65.

Looking at the pics you provided, that looks like it could be a solid AU, valued at $425, according to the 2016 Red Book.

If you bought it on eBay, was is a BIN or auction? If it was  BIN, I would be VERY suspicous.

You can also take it down to a local dealer and have them check it out or send it in to PCGS or NGC to have it graded if it is worth that much.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Not ebay, another site (Bo***za). Another strange thing, I ordered an 1839 Seated Liberty and got this.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@nanapong1wrote:

Not ebay, another site (Bo***za). Another strange thing, I ordered an 1839 Seated Liberty and got this.

It was probably a scam then, especially since they sent the wrong one. Did it come from China or another foreign country?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No, not directly anyway. I think it was Minnesota.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Nope....not kosher. My immediate reaction upon seeing the obverse. It just isn't right. Reverse image is too fuzzy to diagnose.  It obviously not Seated. If it was real, the condition would command a much greater price as mentioned. COPY should be stamped on it....not real.  Try to return if possible. It saddens me to see fakes getting passed off to good people. Sorry.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Confirmed today to be fake. I took it to a local dealer (Rockford Coin and Stamp) who says it is a casting. The weight checked out OK, but not the silver content.

We live and learn.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@nanapong1wrote:

Confirmed today to be fake. I took it to a local dealer (Rockford Coin and Stamp) who says it is a casting. The weight checked out OK, but not the silver content.

We live and learn.

Cool...you live in IL? I grew up in northern IL, and was in Rockford Coin & Stamp a few times after the coin dealer in my nearby town closed and moved to Florida.

Make sure that you destroy the coin or do something so that nobody will mistake it for a real coin.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I would destroy it, but somehow I was able to convince him to give me my money back. I feel ethically bound to return it per his request, but it's a tough call.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@nanapong1wrote:

I would destroy it, but somehow I was able to convince him to give me my money back. I feel ethically bound to return it per his request, but it's a tough call.

Don't return it! He will just sell it again and scam someone else. I don't know how that website works, but you could probably call them and explain or do something to not have to return it and get your money back.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Take a picture and post it on cointalk. This site has to many v lueless people in it
Message 11 of 11
latest reply