cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Barbie Prices Dropping

Has anyone else observed a trend for vintage Barbie prices dropping? Dolls such as short flip Francie would always garner $150, a Black Malibu Christie was a sure $100--now unless a Ponytail 1-4, Color Magic, American Girl or mint Mod TNT--it's hard to get more than $45 a doll. Clothes and sets that used to be gold--like Barbie Babysits--seem humdrum and of little interest. Has our customer base who grew up in the 60s and 70s been satiated with the basics and now only need Japanese and catalog exclusives?

Poor Ken, Skipper, Midge, Alan, and Bubblecuts  have been thrown under the bus. You may have better luck giving them away and taking a tax write off.

Of course, mint items are as desirable as ever.

I have to bite my tongue a bit each time I see dirty Kens in a broken latch case filled with Mommy-made clothes being listed for hundreds of dollars. Somehow the public associates old Barbies as gold regardless of the item or condition.

Are others struggling to get their money back that they have invested in vintage Barbie items, because they are just selling for less?

Also, do you notice any selling trends--such as that summer sales are generally lower?

Thanks for your comments:)))

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

This is a supply and demand problem.  As more closets are cleaned out there are more vintage Barbies available and therefore lower value for these items.  More Baby Boomers are loosing their collectibles to hit the road.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Not at all!  Vintage Barbie is still hot! Long term Ebay sellers (Auction or Buy It Now) and the random estate sellers offer the good stuff( good description & lot's of pics MAYBE!) Also on ebay it's a hit or miss with Vintage Barbie, some stuff goes for high some low. Ken ,Skipper and Midge not to popular but it depends on the buyer, seasoned collector or new collector Check Ebay SOLD listings.Usually the outragious asking prices for Buy It Now is by NEW sellers or sellers who have no clue about what they have and think they have gold! Yes I would DIE for  the Japenese stuff and MIB American girls but they are still big bucks and most folks can't afford them. Check out Goodwill auctions, JUNK going for BIG Bucks

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Actually - I came here for that exact reason to see about the Barbie "craze"  I remember in the late 1990's the radio announcer stating Barbie was the #1 Selling item STILL for Girls - and just a year or so ago - that was reported AGAIN (Perhaps to encourage more people to buy them) - But in reality - I have had poor sales for the ones in the boxes (recent 1990-2000's) - the place I go to see odd things still has a shelf of them and I tried in my antique mall - I see the Barbie's (in box)  Sit and Sit - they are not going at $50, not at $30, not for $25 or $12.00 or Even $8.00.  I do believe the dolls will cycle - but in my opinion - like the other's mentioned - the Vintage Pre-1975 Barbie will probably hold their worth - the ones flooding in the market after 2003 (China helping) that are poorly made - the hands look like flatten pancakes and the bodies do not wear well with children playing - my sister still has a skipper from 1970 - which we played heavily with and it is still kicking - the one my neice got to play with had body problems from dress up  - parts did not hold up well.  Plus since the market changes for generations with Monster High, Spin Master Liv, and Big Headed Disney Dolls - different generations are shown other types of dolls to collect.  Not sure where Barbie is headed - as her move to Contempory, Jello, Olympic, Office, NASCAR, Doctor etc.  is not the future.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply