cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info Needed Please On Antique European Made (?) Bisque Little Red Riding Hood Doll

This doll was a recent garage sale find. Although I don't collect dolls or know anything about them, I decided to take a chance on it. The doll is about 5" tall and is made of porcelain (bisque?). The arms and legs are pinned, and therefore move. The eyes look very detailed, the hair looks and feels real, and the doll overall looks to be very well made. I did not see any markings on it, although I don't know where to look. The clothing is quite fragile in some areas, so I didn't try to remove them to see if there were any markings. The lady that I bought it from said that it was her mothers and she thought that it was made in Czechoslovakia. Can anyone tell me how old this doll is, who perhaps made it, and what country it was made in? Any help is appreciated!

IMG_1765.JPGIMG_1766.JPGIMG_1767.JPGIMG_1768.JPGIMG_1769.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Info Needed Please On Antique European Made (?) Bisque Little Red Riding Hood Doll

That is a wonderul little antique doll you've found! Looks like it's all bisque, stationary blue glass eyes,  closed mouth, human or mohair wig, probably over a pate (that's a rounded cardboard covering over the open top of the head), pin-jointed limbs, clothes look to be original. If you could very carefully untie the hood and see what markings are on the back of the neck/head, even up under the wig--carefully--as you noted, the clothes are fragile. I doubt the doll was made in Czechoslovakia--it is most likely German but could be French. Write back and let us know what markings you find.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I attempted to remove the hood, but the black lace tie is very fragile, and I wan't able to remove it without risking tearing it. I did try to look at the neck area the way it is but was not able to see very much. The clothing and hair of the doll really obscures the whole neck area. The top of the head is open like you said. Since the hair is tucked down under the hood, I wasn't able push it out of the way to view the back of the head either. I'd probably would have to take it to a collector who specializes antique dolls to have them look it over better and see what they thought.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Any idea how old it may be? I would guess that this doll was made around the turn of the century to early 1900s. Perhaps the pinned armed and facial/head features may help in dating it?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi, Yes, your doll was made in the late 1800's, just as you thought.  The antique clothing on it increases its value significantly, so you are wise not to damage it. The dolll may have some marking on its back like "Germany" and a model/size number. It will be hard to check for that due to the clothing. I assumed that the eyes do not open and close but are stationary. Take a look at similar dolls using search terms such as "antique, all-bisque, glass eyes, closed mouth, wig, original clothing, migonette, 5 in." and see what you find. The "wrestler" dolls you might see are particularly valuable--look at the differences in those from yours (the boots for one). The dolls that are going for far less may have a "stick" body--not a full bisque one like I think yours has. Your doll is a real little gem for a whole lot of reasons and has value points not found on others. I wonder if her outfit is like an elf? Girls did not wear pants at that time. I will keep looking for more info about your doll.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply