cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you feel about Mattel Barbie club members buying up exclusives to sell on Ebay?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How do you feel about Mattel Barbie club members buying up exclusives to sell on Ebay?

Members pay a yearly fee to be able to access special items from the club. Most are limited. I think over buying is greedy and unfair and should be limited to one per member. I preordered an item via special invitation email only to find out the item was sold out first day, first thing in the morning. But low and behold several showed up on ebay (club exclusive advanced pre orders) for 2-3 times the price. Its "exclusive" for a reason. Greed, Karma, paybacks.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think you summed it up very well and I totally agree with what you said.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shouldn't your issue be more with Mattel than Ebay?

Well since there are 100s of these specific items being sold on ebay with many members of both Mattel Barbie Club & Ebay buyers and sellers looking at said items...its a good place to get feedback from both. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way and it's nice to see how others feel.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Karma is often quick - if most people buy them to resell then the market will be flooded and the price will be driven down. But alas it is capitalism they are risking an investment and it may or may not pay off. I doubt they will make it rich cornering the Barbie market though,
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The exclusive platinum dolls sell out in less than 15 minutes and they are limited to one doll per membership and there is no way to beat that.  You have to be signed in and in the waiting room 15 minutes before the sale even starts and even then you are not guaranteed to get one.  Its first come first serve. A lot of the people who are able to buy the doll decide to sell it on ebay so that they can use the money to buy several other dolls.  The other club only exclusive dolls are available for months even going on sale after awhile because not enough people want them.  Mattel limits the sale to 2 per membership.  Most of these dolls sell on ebay to people who cannot order from Barbie Collector because they won't ship to their country.  Don't assume people are being greedy, most are just interested in expanding their own collection and using the extra money they get from selling one of these dolls to fund something they want more.  The same goes for the convention dolls, if I don't like it I don't keep it, I sell mine mainly because I overspent at convention!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It's not greed. It's free enterprise. Nobody needs a Barbie to survive, therefore the issue of price gouging is moot. Sellers can charge whatever they want and if they make a princely profit then more power to them. It's the American way.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I totally agree with you, the same happened with Hatchimals last year. You couldn't find one on the shelf that sold for $50 and they were on Ebay for $200 plus if you were lucky.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I fell the same way. I mark up my items to what I want for them and have been told that my price was to high.
I then say that it is worth what ever some one is willing to pay for it. I sometimes buy something because I want it and can afford it and don't care what the price is.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply