cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rover.ebay.rover.com

What is this program? It has completely blocked my win 10 Dell laptop, by installing itself and becoming a process which can't be ended - now my desktop has disappeared; earlier it blocked all programs and prevented access to Start, or any aspect of the computer, effectively making it useless. How can I get rid of this strangling program?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

rover.ebay.rover.com

@siubhal

rover.ebay.com  is an eBay address that allows populated links to be opened from a browser or from email (also from the thumbnail images on eBay search pages). The rover url carries more information than the normal eBay URL.  I have found that opening a rover link from my email will often hang my browser on my older XP machine, but it is not malicious, it just doesn't play well with older devices or machines with inadequate memory.

eBay's rover does not install itself, it simply launches in a browser window, but it does carry a payload of data that must be supplied to the eBay site when the browser window launches.  If your entire system is hung up, I would check whether you have some adware protection that is partially clobbering the payload and preventing the browser from bringing up the page.

When mine hangs up (frequently), I have to open the Windows "Task Manager" and end the process (it is actually a browser process). I run the Firefox browser on my old XP machine, so I must end the Firefox process that is hung.

Your post mentions a site called ...rover.com. That is not an eBay site, that is a dog sitting and pet supply site. I doubt that site would carry any malware, but I didn't check because I suspect your post is really about rover.ebay.com and not about the dog site. If the link is not ...ebay.com, then check for malware on your computer.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

rover.ebay.rover.com

Ctrl+Alt+Del, then select "Task Manager". When Task Manager opens, select more details. Sort your processes by Memory and CPU Usage. Kill the resource hog. Click on File>Run New Task. Type "explorer" your Desktop will reappear. Once you get back to normal, remove the program in question, Reboot. E-Mail me if you have issues that exceed your skill set. I'll be glad to help.
The TInker Tech
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

rover.ebay.rover.com

Thanks, cleared up problem.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

rover.ebay.rover.com

Thanks, very helpful.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply