cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to get instant alerts for a couple things I've been wanting to buy and found some advice on this forum suggesting IM Alerts.. so I tried it in both Firefox and Chome.. neither one worked, any ideas guys?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@phrostbyt- this came up on another post.

I've asked an internal eBay team to look into it.

Unless you got it to work somehow?

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

nope still not working

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It works fine in Firefox 3.6.24, but is blank as shown in the screenshot in FF31 and FF52.

Spoofing the user-agent in FF31 to be FF3.6.29 or FF2.0.20 did not work. Page components loaded by FF3.6.24 differ from those loaded by FF31 - suspect it's one of the scripts (or maybe CSS files) loading for newer versions causing the issue.

Workaround: Use Firefox 3.6.28* or maybe some other older browser for that particular task.

*FF3.6.28 was the last version update for that FF browser series. Portable version can be installed in 1 minute and is standalone, doesn't touch the Windows registry, and can be installed on a flashdrive if desired.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./Mozilla%20...

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Followup. Firefox 11, 21, and 22 work too. FF 25 failed.

Another note:
Noticed that the only IM options are Yahoo IM and AOL IM. Yahoo Messenger was discontinued 7/17/18 and AOL IM was discontinued 12/15/17 (both Yahoo and AOL are now brands under Oath owned by Verizon).

So unless I'm missing something, there is in point in trying anyway.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@berserkerplanet- Thanks for all the good info on this - that's what I'm hearing now too about AOL & Yahoo.

Still waiting to hear back from eBay if it will be removed  or...?

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Sure thing.

I actually got a warning email about Yahoo messenger a little while back saying "we noticed you used messenger recently, but it is going away soon". Which is funny, because I've never used it. (account not hacked - likely just more Yahoo fail).

eBay could scrounge up some other IM services (Google Allo is probably dead, Whatsapp? iMessage?), they could shift to text notifications, they could be moving towards the RCS thing, or they could drop the whole alternate notification concept.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/19/google-changes-its-messaging-strategy-again-goodbye-to-allo-double...

Since the services eBay shows as options are currently available, I doubt fixing the code bugaboo resulting in that empty popup is a high priority.

Let us know how it plays out.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

This is still not fixed! HAHA!  😄

How is it a company that makes mega millions in profit every year hasn't got around to fixing this?  If I owned eBay I'd probably have to fire some people for being lackadaisical. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Yeah I'm flabbergasted on this one.  Kinda like if YouTube didn't provide a way for its users to comment on posts.  Epic fail, eBay.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Hello, so does your app no longer exist?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Evidently eBay doesn't care if bidders receive notifications on their smart phones so buyers don't miss bidding on an item before they end.   They can only receive notifications if their phones are synced to their email accounts.  Then, they have to receive email notifications all day on their phones even if they don't want to be bothered by them.  Kind of sucks doesn't it?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Hello,

My Name Is Sawsen Enas

I need Some One to teach me haw to be a great seller on eBay.

Thank You.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

This problem persists, 07feb2020, and it is serious -- "IM" is used also to notify of Account changes, such as password, email, etc changes.

I just yesterday dealt with a Paypal credit card fraudulently obtained in my name, and only found out when I received paper mail acknowledgement.

It is of critical importance to receive login/password/contact changes immediately!

Firefox 72.0.2 (64 bit) in OS X Catalina 10.15.3.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Still not working 18 moths after the original post was made with Google Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Just ran into this today also. Completely worthless to even have it there in the first place.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply