cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Turn On The Audio On The Message Notification Bell

Hello everyone! Anyone know how to turn on the audio on the message notification bell located between My Ebay and the shopping cart in the upper-right corner of the webpage? Upon a notification the bell lights up but there's no bell sound (like on a cellphone). Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As far as I know, that has never been a feature of the desktop version of the website.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If you have the official eBay addon for FireFox, then the bell will sound and a message will appear in the bottom right corner. I remember sales being shown and other activity like bids. I no longer sell so I have the addon disabled.

I believe there are similar official eBay extensions for other browsers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Good to know.

That info prevented me from wasting any more time thinking about planning to look into writing a script to ring the bell as needed that nobody else would ever use and I certainly wouldn't use. The notification bell had a stake driven though its heart here years ago to prevent the stream of background activity it engages in continuously*

*my browsers don't make or maintain any outbound connections at all due to defanging of scripts, domain blocks, filters, Internal browser settings etc. Nothing updates. If I want to see changes, I refresh the page. My primary eBay browser can sit with 20 tabs open to various eBay pages (activeselling, sold, selling manager, search pages, item pages, craigslist searches, etc) for 24 hours without a single peep. Most others would see thousands of outbounds from eBay scripts phoning home and obtaining status updates, and the browser safebrowsing and browser metrics phoning home day and night. (I can't comfortably browse without the software firewall monitor window, the router firewall log monitor window, and the IP blocker window open on my left monitor. grin )

As much as I'm a fan of addons (56 in this FF31 browser and 80 in my primary FF3.6.24 eBay browser), I only use "raw tool" type addons (Text, HTML, CSS, JS editors and tools, debuggers, print preview/editors, etc). No banking apps, eBay apps, or other website browser addons (don't want unwanted connections or "phoning home" activity that most of those entail)

Message 4 of 4
latest reply