Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to everyone?

Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

It's been going on for about 6 years. People, slowly but surely, have been leaving, and virtually no new posters have showed up.

T.S. was once a vibrant, thriving place. No more. Only a very few diehards are left.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I chalk it up to the improving economy. 

When the economy sucked, why not spend a bunch of time spouting off on eBay chat boards?

Now more people have real lives. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Actually, when you have lost your job and your home, and are living in a cardboard box out by the railroad tracks, you find that WiFi reception is spotty at best.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

mass shootings don't get a thread anymore

no point in starting a political thread ... they are the same in the end

we've seen everyone's favourite music

what's left?

do you think the facination with the internet for discussion groups will last forever?

I don't

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

do you think the facination with the internet for discussion groups will last forever?

It actually might.Some people on the exiles board think that most people just post stuff on facebook these days, so there's less need to topic specific chat boards.

And Twitter, of course.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I think that your initial answer was the closest.

Ten or fifteen years ago, when Town Square was jumping, there were only a relative handful of boards on eBay.  TS, The Soapbox, The Park... were among them and all got new posters almost daily.  Since eBay added "Groups", there are now far more boards to choose from.  TS is no longer promoted by eBay and has lost its' place in the "short list" that no longer exists.  

It's just too hard for new folks to find.

"Finger Painter Extraordinaire"
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

TS became automated gain saying

people with intelligence grew annoyed

wise crackers needed a new audience

If Trump could not revive TS, nothing can

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

In its' heyday, TS was far from being populated solely by "people of intelligence".  

Rather, there were any number of diverse individuals and cliques.  This board even had it's own moderator, or "Pink", as she was called, who went by "Maeve".  There were several "wars" between battling sides that ended in suspensions, expulsions and general hard feelings on the part of those involved.

It wasn't all about politics, either.  There was a very large religious group here, as well as many others who seemed to just want to chat and pass the time.  

There were also lots of new folks stopping by who, believe it or not, wanted to ask a question about the workings of eBay... sometimes they even got answers.

I think of that time as the "Wild West" days of TS.  Never dull, that's for sure.

"Finger Painter Extraordinaire"
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@chl_only wrote:

mass shootings don't get a thread anymore

no point in starting a political thread ... they are the same in the end

we've seen everyone's favourite music

what's left?

I don't

I think it's got a while to run.

Some people like to listen to the sound of their own voice (hmm ... like to read their own words?  There, that's better).

Some people like to argue.

Some people are lonely and want to connect on some topic they have in common with others (or not).

And some of those people don't like Facebook, which takes away that platform.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

I think you will find that the majority of posters on these boards were regular sellers (albeit with some using different ID's) so we spent a lot of time on the site. I believe the drop-off of posters reflects the loss of regular sellers overall. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I believe the drop-off of posters reflects the loss of regular sellers overall. 

Could be. Heck, even the great john wade was a seller. Or maybe THEY finally got him.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

I actually bought a number of things from wade (using my other ID). Always wondered how someone who seemed to have so many... um.. issues...could run a successful business. Lent credence to my suspicion he was just yanking our chains. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Lent credence to my suspicion he was just yanking our chains. 

Could be. Then again, some people can live very compartmentalized lives. They can be a successful business person in the public eye, yet be all kinds of other things when elsewhere.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

You got that right about being hard to find. I used to be a regular here, but joined up with one of the many breakaway groups years ago. This used to be the place to be for all things fun exciting edgey and a darned good place to brawl.

Always laugh when you can. It is the cheapest medicine.
Message 15 of 31
latest reply