cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I AM ANGRY

Sykes, I am not angry, I am very very angry, why do I have to flip the news daily to school shootings? How did an expelled student enter a school, even at workplaces a worker who has been fired is never let back in right at the gate. We have to admit that schools have become dangerous grounds, I would like my kids to mingle in school freely but that’s not possible, we need airtight security at schools, the kind where they even take off their shoes and an arm or two even a leg or head to be slid under the X-ray. I know DACA matters right now but our children matter more. This needs to take top priority in Congress and a budget needs to be put aside for security measures in our schools!!!! I am tired of sending thoughts and prayers every 5 seconds

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I AM ANGRY

From the nonstop coverage I watched last night:

The kid got back in the school by setting the fire alarm and then mingled with other students to return to the building (after the code red alert had been sounded).  Supposedly he was in some type of mental health treatment (whether he attended or not, we'll know later).

His (adoptive) father died 13-14 years ago and his (adoptive) mother died in November.  Since he was over the age of 18, he was on his own.  He did have a job at a Dollar Store or something like that.

The most revealing "oops" statements came from interviews with other students who haven't learned to talk but say nothing.  One said the shooter was bullied in middle school; one said he was expelled from the high school for firearms.

He posted lots of social media stuff and I have to admit I don't know how it works.  If you don't have any friends, who sees your facebook posts?  Random "I want to shoot someone" videos on youtube - who sees those ? since there are zillions of them.  And aren't they all posted under pseudonyms?

I am not defending this kid; not in any way.  I am saying that he carefully thought this out and nothing could have been done to prevent it.     I flew in and out of Reagan (National) airport last week; anyone could have stood in the ticketing area and fired willy nilly into the concourses below.  You aren't checked for weapons before entering the building.

Learned something last night; you have to be 21 in this country to buy a handgun but only 18 to buy an assault rifle.  Oh ah hah, therein lies the answer.  Sales of assault rifles.  This kid passed the background check in 20 minutes and bought one legally. 

I could go on but one of the most upsetting facts I heard was that 150,000 children have been directly exposed to this type of situation.  All schools now practice lock down and shooter drills.  I remember being terrified of thunderstorms for years after all of those tornado drills and it took me decades to get over thinking about nuclear war after all of those air raid drills in school.  But I never, ever had to go to school and worry about someone bursting into my classroom and killing me and all of my friends.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I AM ANGRY

I know it isn't 1954 anymore but do you think any amount of security will help, or even cut down? 
Who will pay, how would it be paid, think how many schools there are!

I took each of my kids out of school after 6th grade; that would be 1985, 1986, 1991, because of concerns over school violence. 

I was beatup in middle school; 1965-1966. Violence is not new, it is the reaction(s).

The reason WHY people, youths especially, have anger and vicious thoughts and deeds needs to be addressed rather than put all the rest of the kids under a prison atmosphere.

People have access to  weapons that are unseen by metal detectors; ceramic knives, glass knives, slate knives, plastic guns, poisons, etc..

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

Any amount of security would help at least for my piece of mind,... when I drop my kids at school after working the grave shift hour I would know that every potential shooter has been sorted security wise

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

This thread will probably be removed as being off topic as far as the contents - but I agree with the above poster. Guns and drugs are prohibited in prisons but it doesn't stop the inmates from fashioning new weapons and getting drugs smuggled in.

My opinion is that kids are medicated and labeled at an early age. I knew of one person with an allergy in the whole time I was in school - now everyone has them and many are on medications for psychological problems - are these medications in the long run doing more harm than good? Were they neccesary to begin with? Are these children being misdiagnosed and actually just a phase they will grow out of without being medicated.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

“People have access to weapons that are unseen by metal detectors; ceramic knives, glass knives, slate knives, plastic guns, poisons, etc..”... so you just give up and let it be?... we will still search, metal detectors or not we don’t give up!!!

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

What contents make this thread removed?

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

Back in the day gun safety classes, with real guns, were taught in middle school. Children brought their rifles to school. They had shooting competitions. They brought their pocket knives to school. Nobody was shot or stabbed in school back then, when weapons safety was TAUGHT IN THE CLASSROOM.

The problem is NOT guns or the availability of guns.

Just sayin'

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

VIOLENCE AND NEGATIVITY.  IT IS EVERYWHERE.  IT IS GLAMOURIZED IN VIDEO GAMES.  STOP THE VIOLENCE.  PUT THE BLAME ON THE PARENTS.   MONEY AND WORTHLESS LAWS CANNOT STOP THIS.  IT HAS TO COME FROM WITHIN AND THE LESSONS START WHEN KIDS ARE BABIES.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

@bingesuwrote:

What contents make this thread removed?

It will be moved to Ebay Cafe (or whatever they call the off topic area now) since it's not Ebay selling related.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

I would love to have those posts where I reply and my reply is directly after the OP but I don’t know how to do that, so my reply is always at the end of a long thread, and then I seem like a goldfish fighting for life in the toilet while it’s flushing 

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

We need to fortify where our kids go to school 

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

At my grandsons school you cannot get in the building

unless someone buzzes you in.

The door locks automatically when it shuts.

If they don't know you, you don't get in.

Gun control laws will never stop someone with evil intent from getting a gun.

If it were up to me every teacher, principal, administrator, etc.

would be required to carry a gun at school, & be well trained in the use of it.

As the saying goes,

" The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun ".

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

I am not soothed by a false sense of security.
When my kids go to school I am to put my trust in whatever rinky-dink set-up each individual school deems appropriate? No.
Plus schools do not have money, "reliable" reports tell us so. That huge push for the Lottery to pay for better schools was a lot of hot air and someone's pockets got lined with greenbacks.

I agree youth violence must be addressed and immediately, that is not up for debate. But the "how" is the crux. Yeah, yeah, it all starts with the parents, that is clear.

@bingesuwrote:

Any amount of security would help at least for my piece of mind,... when I drop my kids at school after working the grave shift hour I would know that every potential shooter has been sorted security wise

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

@hollysfindswrote:

At my grandsons school you cannot get in the building

unless someone buzzes you in.

The door locks automatically when it shuts.

If they don't know you, you don't get in.

That is great for lower grade schools but jr high and high school is a preparation for 'real' life where there are no buzzers to let you in.  

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

I AM ANGRY

My youngest is a Junior in High School. So this is a subject we've discussed too many times.

It's a fairly large school. Her class has nearly 600 kids.

Just recently, The school system formed their own Police dept, and have hired 2 full time, fully trained, experienced officers to work every day within the school system.

Last week they hired a third officer and are now raising funds to purchase a Police K9

That's all well and good. But we have a high school, A Junior high, a middle school, and four Elementary schools. Thousands of students and Hundreds of employees within the system.

How can you protect 100% of the kids and employees 100% of the time?

Message 15 of 43
latest reply