cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting Dec 18-20 “We remember them”

*** eBay Users’ Stamp Club ***

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on We remember them” from any time Friday Dec 18 till midnight PDT on Sunday Dec 20.

We remember them

1. Take this opportunity to share memories (including scans of items) of philatelic friends who are no longer with us (including non-board friends and colleagues). I will post an incomplete list in the next post.
  2. This also a chance to remember those eBay IDs who used to post but are now MIA from the eBay boards. If anyone knows what they’re up to these days, let us know. I will post an incomplete list in the next post.
  3. *** All eUSC eBay IDs are requested to check in if at all possible. ***

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Anne will put up a display in the balcony of classic stamps previously shown by Bruce Campbell (classicbruce), some of which have been expertized by Bill Weiss (wrw1943).
  • I will be showing bridge and nude items that Bob Lodge (rclwa) has shared with me. Also some Bill Amonette color cards by year of the 3c 1851-57 issue.
  • There will be scans of bananas in the balcony, in remembrance of George Lipscomb (776).
  • These will be placed beside the chaise longue that sneeky37 (Dan) used to frequent in the balcony, in the hope that he’s well enough to join us.
  • A “shell your own peanuts” area will be set up. Peel extra for knuden (Knud-Erik), in case he drops in.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

RIP

776 (7-12-2009, age 60)
classicbruce (2007-2009?)
ed845 (2007-2009?)
rclwa (12-21-2008, age 68)
tycophil
(9-4-2006, age 64)

eBay IDs that have not been seen around the boards (possibly NARU'd in eBay's cleanups?)

as_is

ioloonie

schuylercrap

fillatellick

don_de_drain

t.nitpicker

rocketscientist

retorix

evicon

sassy-vixen

sveiki!

caveatemptor2002

smudger_the_ink

tukulkah

beigecakes

knerik

000rw

philatelic.communist

paolo_ba

ultraplinian

elizabeth*r

jnluff

coronation37

deebee

members who haven't posted here for ages

vonbag

iomoon

mendelbrot

dcderoo

underhi2p

horadam1

miekiemuis

cwhutch

mrsamoa

wrd3

tallan.ent

margozim

kathmoon

coverwiz

thurgoona

tidbinbilla11

charlietuna619

pertinax

jfr

ddetr

duncan_doenitz

blangoren

due2cents

g.1

cableguy52

knuden

claghorn1p

sneeky37

stampmad

jim_lawler

magnolia_stamps

ccmouse

postalviews

trianglemaarten

sarge

cobbie10

kmichael

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Not sure how accurate this is, but I heard that Sarge died.  He was suffering last I heard from a massive tumor in his chest.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Beigecakes is still here, although the dog she was named for isn't.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I met a gentleman some years ago via the old rec-collecting-stamps discussion board.  I had recently inherited my wife's grandfather's accumulation and I had found a few nice things where I had some duplication.  This fellow had decided he was interested in classic US material and was having a good time accumulating things via auction.  But, he wasn't terribly careful about his bids and had come up with some extras of certain items - such as the 1847 5 cent stamp (Scott #1).

We worked out a trade where I got his pen canceled 1847 and I traded him a $2 Columbian that I was lucky enough to have a duplicate of (no, there were no other $ Columbians in the accumulation).  He insisted that he got the better end of the deal.  And, I suppose he did.  But, I wasn't too worried about it since I had acquired an item I'd always wanted without spending any of my own money (so to speak).  We corresponded semi-frequently and I found Wayne Leonard to be a pleasant and positive individual who was enjoying exploring  the hobby.

Sadly, it wasn't too long before he let me know that he was suffering from throat cancer and he was going to have to divest himself of his collection.  Frankly, I only heard the first part and he had to repeat the second part.  As he put it, he wanted to offer me his better copy at his buying price.  And, he would let me pay in whatever way I was able.

In the end, he let me set terms to pay for both his Scott 1 and 2 over an extended period of time.  Pretty much shot the stamp budget for a couple of years at that time.  But, I wasn't going to get a better opportunity any time soon to buy them.  And, these copies meant more to me than what they were.

It was more about who they were from.

Now, these stamps reside on their own page in my collection.  When I view them, I think of the kind man with the pleasant voice who was respectful and honest.

us1.JPG

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I suspect several people on this board will have Bill Weiss stories.  I had only a few instants where I had cause to be in touch with Bill, but they were always positive and I always came away feeling that he heard me when I talked to him.  Bill sent me a note some years back that he had a cover I really should bid on in his auctions because it would be a fabulous addition.  At that time, I wasn't sure if I could afford anything "fabulous" but I was grateful to receive the notice and I put what was an obnormally large (for me) bid on this item.  I was completely shocked and very pleased to receive the notice that I had landed it at a couple of ticks below my maximum bid. 

And, here it is - one of my favorite items in my 24 cent postal history exhibit.  And, I do remember Bill when I look at it. 

I am realizing, now that Sheryll and Anne have put this topic up, that there are many items in my collections that have ties to people I know or have known.  And, I find that I like it.  I hope others will share similar things.

Rob

frame1page3.jpg

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Last one from me.  I think.

I mentioned my wife's grandfather.  He was proud of his German heritage and had significant German material that I was tasked with going through after his death.  Some of it I sold on behalf of his spouse and some I inherited.  One item I held onto is below.  I always had some idea about the German zeppelins, but I didn't really do much research on it until last Winter. 

Bill Zenk was gracious in sharing what he had with me and having his, and his wife, Sylvia's, approval went a ways towards helping me integrate into the family.  I remember that he gave me a box of used US stamps one day and told me I could take what I wanted out of it.  I found some used Columbian stamps (1ct-15ct) and was absolutely floored.  I remember asking him more than once if he was serious.  The highest catalog item in my collection at the time was the 10 cent National Parks stamp.  It amused and, I think, pleased him to see my genuine excitement in going through that box. 

Tammy and I have maintained a Germany collection in his honor. 

Thanks for the topic.

Rob

GermSAZeppflightpage.jpg

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Well, let's get started. Sorry to hear about Sarge. Maybe sneeky can confirm. There is nothing on the web that I could find.

I didn't have much to do with Bill Weiss but as others elsewhere have said, he was one for ethics. I appreciated his zeal and the work he put in to make eBay a safer venue.

as_is and t.nitpicker disappeared from eBay's records, as did (gasp!) elizabeth*r .

Also struck out of  the database were evicon, fillatellick and jnluff.

Probably just as well, as they were troublemakers...

Rob - beautiful page and great stories!

-------------------------------------------

I present to you once again the Ed Druce Tribute Cover. This well-known Australian philatelist passed away sudddenly less than 24 houors after had sent him the link to it on eBay for his "Tonga  - the Philatelically Sticky Period" exhibit.

tonga-cv-tcm-1970-banana_a_small.jpg

I bought it in memory of him, as he was a mentor and treated me like an exhibitor before I had anything worthy of exhibiting. He believed I could do it!

And... he was responsible for my coming to the chat board in the way that I did. But that is another story...

This cover resides in my Greetings to America, by Letter display, under the letter T.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I still stop by here couple times a week. I am a bit tech challenged so can't share much. I try to stay in touch with Mitch who I have great respect for. Some of you probably know Huckles.Mac. and I Love Stamps from other boards.All passed this last year. Yes some big names disappeared and they will be missed.It's the little unknowns that comprise the majority and that's what really hurts , when they pass without notice.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I see Bill Weiss’s name mentioned here a couple times.  After a cursory internet check I saw that he retired in August of this year from expertizing...then found that he died in November.

Bob Lodge was born exactly ten years (minus one day) from me. He arrived in the world on October 6, 1940. He sure kept his wits and humor about him until the very end, posting on the old chatboard I think two days before he died.

Anyway, the single most glaring reason for the “missing in action” is—eBay. First they disabled using one’s email address for a user ID, then they brought in the Church Lady to tut-tut and yank away from the chatboard anything she thought was vulgar (such as “the pen is mightier than the sword”—she wasn’t very bright). Then they kept monkeying with the board until they did away with it altogether, and saddled everyone with the current fragmented diaspora of commentary. It’s too much of a pain in the neck to follow ten thousand different discussions, each of which has to be opened, then rearranged so it can be read coherently.  This is the reason I rarely if ever visit these boards, except for when the gemina imperatrices Anne/Sheryll host their delightful monthly Users’ Club meeting. I don’t always contribute, but I always read them all the way through.

In other news, sold the item below a couple months ago only to have the buyer go deadbeat on me, so have listed it again.

1x.jpg

If it doesn’t sell this time I will leave it for my heirs to fight over—

tda.jpg

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I'm still lurking here, but most of my stamp chatting these days is on Stampboards. 

Cheers,

Greg (g.1)

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Also—last year I sent a Christmas card to Milenko Oblinovic in Santiago Chile and six months later it was returned, stamped “no forwarding address”, so I have no idea where he went. I don’t think he was very old. He sure was/is a nice guy.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I'm here.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

Retorix is around but buys on Delcampe. I know for certain. The ID is saved on eBay for emergencies such as getting kicked off eBay Chat Boards. LOL

The old eBay Chat was great and once it went to discussion threads the atmosphere was lost. I agree witht he above comment about coming and looking into every different topic to see if its worth reading. So I don't read the Stamp Boards here - answering questions continually is not conversation.

THE book is finally finished, everything you ever wanted to know about Razor Cancels. 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Meeting hasn't even started and a few MIA's have surfaced already .  Think it's a great idea for a meeting, hopefully the word was received by most. and we can have a nice stamp family reunion.   Maarten and Greg good to see you guys are still kickiing.

Here's a card I picked up the other day at auction.  I haven't really got into covers but I sometimes pick them up when they add something meanigful to the collection.  I think this one fitd the bill.  It the first offically authorized air mail stamp to be issued.

It's a first day as well as first flight cover.  I quite surprised to win it for $45.00 as it cats for $1,250.

This week I aslo picked up this"top key" from Croatia.  I've wanted one for a long time but thought I would probablyt never get one.

Catalogs for 1,500 but got it for only $35.00.  Been pretty consistant with getting deals like this, so the collection is  growing nicely.

I have the feeling my pics aren't going to show up.  So here are URL's to each item

http://mitch.seymourfamily.com/mward/collection/europe/italy/italyc01a.jpg

http://mitch.seymourfamily.com/mward/collection/europe/croatia/croatiab09a.jpg

Message 15 of 32
latest reply