cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** eBay Users Stamp Club *** Meeting 27th -29th April

Please join us for our monthly meeting which runs from Friday 27th midnight until Sunday 29th whatever part of the World you are in.

The theme is " Births, Weddings and Memorials" (Sheryll's idea but may have been influenced slightly by her trip to Australia).

So anything goes and all are welcome to post on any or all of the subjects.

It is rumoured that Sheryll will attend having recovered from Jetlag perhaps because Anne has been feeding her "Anzac biscuits" (from the balcony) to help recover from the journey.

The KIng Albert memorial fund stamps will kick the proceeding off.

1938-King-Albert-memorial-fund.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

For the "memorials" category.

I am not much of a 'stampless' postal history guy.  But, I picked these (and a couple of others) up from a guy at a small local show several years back.  I had seen them in his stock before because he was pretty much just a stamp guy with very few envelopes or postal history type things.  He owned the last physical stamp and coin shop in Cedar Rapids and was always a pretty pleasant person to talk to.  I offered to buy the group and he was very happy to sell them to me, saying he was hoping I would come over and purchase them.  He looked wistful when he said, "I really wish I'd given postal history more of a chance.  It really seems like it could be interesting."

Of course, I suggested that I could help him get started if he wanted.  Stupid me, I should have read between the lines.

Dave Vaughn was fighting terminal cancer and had recently been told he had weeks to live.  He didn't tell anyone in the stamp community, so his death came as a bit of a shock.  But, the clues were there, if I'd listened.

Last weekend, I showed a 'for fun' exhibit at the Cedar Rapids Stamp Show.  The first four pages featured the items I purchased from Dave at his last show.  He was a good man and I am sorry he had to leave so soon.

UK4dstamplesspage.jpg

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

For the "Weddings" category.

My lovely bride grew up in a family that always (as far as I know) had a garden.  I grew up in a family that did not always have a garden, but we did plant things around the edge of our house.  Each child was given a section to plant whatever they wanted.  A flower, a veggie...etc.  I typically chose to grow green beans.

After we were married, it did not take us long to seek out a rental property that had some yard space and an opportunity to start our own garden.   I recall spending time in January and February with forms not too unlike this one from J Monnier and Co in France.  This sort of form was normally an insert in catalogs listing all of the temptations for the next season's garden.

We would sprawl out on the floor and circle all of the things we thought we wanted to grow.  Then, we would whittle the list down and enter them on the order form.

Now, we "garden" on a grander scale.  The 20 foot by 30 foot garden is now 5 acres.  And I still look at a seed catalog order form and think how lucky I am to have shared quality time with her in the garden.  I guess its a good thing we got married....

FranceBureaudePassePage.jpg

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

In memory of King George V a mourning letter from the Foreign Office from Sir Athony Eden then Foreign Secretary thanking Mrs Tidball for the condolences sent to Queen Mary. I picked this up in a large lot of GV covers about 4 months ago, the best part is the letter inside but Eden had initialled the cover.1936-FO-mourning-cover.jpg

1936-FO-mourning-cover-contents.jpg

Cheers
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

America has a tradition of honoring its murdered presidents (as well as those who merely died in office) with special mourning stamps.  In the case of McKinley, he was first honored on postal cards.  Only later did they squeeze him onto the high value of the Louisiana centennial set.

The stamps below are:

1. Mourning issue for Abraham Lincoln
  2. Mourning issue for James Garfield
  3. First appearance of McKinley on a stamp
  4. Mourning issue for Warren Harding
  5. Mourning set of four for FDR
  6. Mourning issue for JFK
  7. Lincoln’s birth centennial, featuring the head of Daniel Chester French’s Lincoln Memorial statue

Having been trained in etching/engraving myself I have to say that the portrait engraving of the Garfield stamp, the Harding stamp, and the Lincoln centennial are brilliant examples of this kind of work.

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

cat4.jpg

cat5.jpg

cat6.jpg

cat7.jpg

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I recently had access to the book in which this was printed. Can anyone tell me the title?

OSS_2017_p016.jpg

His late Majesty, King George VI.

This page was prepared as part of our award-winning club exhibit for last year's  PIPEX show.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Many stamps commemorate the birth of some tradition, activity or event. Here is a 1959 Aussie stamp commemorating the birth of the post office 150 years earlier.

australia_birth_of_post_office_004.jpg

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Celebrating 100 years since the birth of Winston Churchill
1974 Churchill-Centenary-.jpg

Cheers
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Typical Queen Victoria era mourning cover.
1862 QV-mourning1.jpg

Cheers
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Some of the British Commonwealth omnibus issues fit the meetingh theme such as:

The 1948 Siver Wedding commemoration for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

nborneo_351.jpg

and the memorial issue at the passing of Winston Churchill

Dominica_Churchill.jpg

Regards,

dkru

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Since the meeting began I have run across a few covers which fit the theme.

One such is this naval cover of the USS Ranger, commemorating the death of President Rutherford B. Hayes.

us-cv-naval-uss-ranger-hayes-1934_cinderella_a__010.jpg

The president died on 17 Jan 1893, and this cover is dated 17 Jan 1935.  That makes 42 years in my view but the cachet stated 58 years. Am I missing something?

Nice cinderella on the back.

us-cv-naval-uss-ranger-hayes-1934_cinderella_d_013.jpg

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks to all who posted. We had a variety of items and some nice stamps in there.

Not to mention postal history, which I really wish I'd given more of a chance.  It really seems like it could be interesting...

🙂

I will close the meeting now but you may keep posting if you find something that pertains to the topic.

The next meeting will be 25-27 May and the topic with be "By the Numbers".

The first poster must start by posting something philatelic relating to the number 1 in some form or other.

The next poster must post something philatelic relating to a number greater than the previous one.

It could be fractional, integral, exponential, etc.

Small jumps in numbers will be rewarded with more points than larger jumps so that we do not have to start from scratch again during the meeting, but we may need to anyway if there is a flurry of posts.

Ideally at least each integer between 1 and 10 will be covered with some possible fractions (three halfpence springs to mind, or Professor Julius Sumner Miller's glass and a half of fresh full cream milk...).

Please allow at least half an hour between posts if you wish to post consecutively, to allow others to put up their posts.

I hope you have fun with it, and show us all some "out of the sequence" thinking.

Here is an example of 11:

ger-cv-germania_11-11-11_hamburg11_032.jpg

Sheryll

Message 12 of 12
latest reply