cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Meeting 22-24 June: "Scavenger Hunt"

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting which runs from Friday 22nd June until midnight Sunday 24th in whatever part of the world you are in.

The topic will be “Scavenger Hunt.”

Scavenger Hunt guidelines

Below is a list of 24 philatelic items to try to find.

You must own them or have owned them in the past.

The first poster gets to post any one of the 24 items listed, then nominates the number of the next item to be posted.

The second poster posts whatever was requested, then chooses the next number. It could be the same as the preceding item, but not the same as what s/he is currently posting.

Posters cannot post consecutively.

* Extra option for posters:

A poster may post the same topic as the previous poster if s/he can post a similar item (as though s/he was beaten to the punch). Then s/he must choose a topic of his/her choice (not one of the 24) for the next poster, who will then have two different topic ideas to post an item on. The topic not posted on is ignored, except that it cannot be chosen by the current poster as the next topic.

Scoring - Posters score 12 points for each topic posted on with a reasonable item.

Winning - The winner is the first poster to post on 12 different topics, or who has posted on the most topics by the time I close the meeting.

Winner gets a prize (will be one of the topics covered, be it on the posted list or a "post-in" topic (see * above).

- - - - - - -- - -

List of 24 items to find in Scavenger Hunt

Part A -  Stamp characteristics (5 items)

A1. A stamp with at least 3 different perforation sizes.

A2. A stamp which has some unique aspect but is otherwise a common stamp.

A3. Perfin that isn't all alpha characters.

A4. Postal forgery.

A5. A stamp issued before 1940 designed by a woman.

Part B - what’s on the stamp (10 items)

B1. A stamp with your last name on it. It can be a maiden name or name from a previous marriage.

B2. US stamp with a camel on it

B3. A stamp with more than 10 languages on it.

B4. A stamp with a palindrome on it (has to be at least 3 letters/numbers long)

B5. A stamp with more than 100 words on it.

B6  A stamp with the most number of camels....

B7  A stamp with a peahen on it

B8  A stamp with a plate number coil with more than 6 digits (alphas don't count)

B9. The Sphinx on a stamp from a country other than Egypt?

B10. A stamp featuring someone who was living at the time of issue (no monarchs, presidents or other heads of state)

Part C not only stamps but other philatelic items  (9 items)

C1. Cover with postmark from town you were born in/near.

C2. Cover with markings from 4 or more countries.

C3. Cover with receiving (not franking or transit) mark on your birthday (need not be exact year).

C4. Cover with a cinderella tied to it

C5. Diplomatic pouch mail

C6. Same day delivery cover or card

C7. Cover postmarked 25 December...

C8. Postal reply card actually replied.

C9. registered return receipt

- - - - - -- -

Anne will be displaying a rare US stamp featuring the “desert postman” and possibly sphinx covers PhotoShopped to remove any reference to Egypt.

I will be showing my collection of diplomatic pouch mail, if I can find it…

The leftovers from last meeting will be available in the balcony, for all the food scavengers.

The workshop area will have laptops with graphics manipulation programs, and a color laser printer for printing the results.

See you there!

eUSC co-presidents (Anne in NJ, Sheryll in OR)

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Ok, I will start the ball rolling with

This stamp from the New Hebrides issued for the coronation of Elizabeth II was the only deliberate unilateral issue of the Condominium. First day of issue: June 2nd, 1953

nh_QEII_coronation_007.jpg

I'm tagging the next poster with

C7. Cover postmarked 25 December.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

[... not to be confused with this impulsive omnibus issue ...]

nh_QEII_coronation_nh_iomoon_200dpi_012_perfs.jpg

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Ok, extra rule, if there have been no posts for 2 hours, anyone can post on any topic on the list, except the topic just posted. 

Hoping for some interaction, but will settle for just action...

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Ok, I will post for A3 - a perfin that is not all alpha characters.  Below is a page from my Barbados collection showing the perfin "L & Co" for Laurie and Company.

A3.jpg

How about B4 - Palindrome next?

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Thanks, BWI! Very nice page!!

I'm invoking the * clause, i.e., the "beat me to the punch" clause. I have a similar item.

This is a perfin for Interocean Export Corporation of New York City. It has the letters T&Co, which indicates to me that the company began under another name which I haven't found yet. It is listed as active 1922-1940 something but I have found a reference to it in 1920.

pd006.jpg

I used PhotoShop to draw the dots and change the colors once I had discovered a possible letter.

us-ppc-nyyw_perfin_4448-x-xz_c005.jpg

Here is a postcard with two Prexies perfinned. As this card is obviously personal, I'd say that the sender is being a naughty boy!

us-ppc-nyyw_perfin_4448-x-xy_a003.jpg

Reverse shows World's Fair amusement area.

I nominate a new topic  as an extra option for the next poster - X1: the smallest stamp.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Forwarding Liverpool to Geneva forwarded within to the Rue du Stand Office, Geneva.

Christmas Day 1902.6.04_1902_12_25.jpg

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

C2. Cover with markings from 4 or more countries.

This post card originated in Rio de Janiero, transited Funchal, Madeira, then transited Las Palmas, then Lagos, South Nigeria, destination Harrah, Ethiopia.

BTW - Harrah is a palindrome.heath-foreign-13 copy.jpg

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Lower left stamp has major retouching in oval area surrounding Helvetia. The stamp to its right shows a normal background. There is also some retouching in the upper left stamp.73e_major_retouch_block copy.jpg

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Hi Roger,

Neat items!  It would be nice to see a large scan of the retooled stamp.  The image posted to the board can't be enlarged enough to see any difference.  Perhaps a link to an off-eBay big scan?

I think the city in Ethiopia is Harar (Harrar) not Harrah.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Since there hasn't been a post in over 2 hours, here is an example of C6 - same day delivery of a cover.  The cover below went from Port Antonio, Jamaica to May Pen, Jamaica on May 24, 1902.  Sender used the Jamaica Government Railway mail system as seen by the blue double-ring datestamps applied at Port Antonio, Spanish Town and May Pen.  At May Pen, the cover was transferred to the regular post office where a black May Pen arrival postmark of May 24 was applied on the reverse.

How about C5 - Diplomatic pouch mail example for the next poster?

C6.jpg

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Can you believe it was in the first place  I looked?

Here's a diplomatic pouch cover sent to Ivo Lovincic, the acting Chief of UNPA after Robert Maxwell resigned in November 1970.

c5_dip_pouch_mail_034.jpg

Does anyone have A5, a stamp issued before 1940 designed by a woman?

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

BTW, the palindrome needs to be part of the stamp, not a postmark, sender's name or addresss of recipient. I remembered where one was after Roger's and Jim's posts.

Thanks for playing, guys, esp on a Friday when we often have a slow start. Keep the momentum!

Sheryll

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

A5 - Stamp before 1940 designed by a woman

In 1922, Jamaica solicited stamp designs for a Child Welfare semi-postal issue.  The idea for a semi-postal issue was inspired by the Swiss "ProJuventute" stamps.  Several designs were submitted, but it was a woman, Violet Taylor, who nailed the design best reflecting Jamaica's children.  Below are a couple of pages from my Jamaica collection showing signed photographs taken by Miss Taylor that were used as models to engrave the vignettes of the issued stamps.

Does anyone have A4 - postal forgery?

A5a.jpg

A5b.jpg

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Hi Jim, it was late last night, Ha Ha Harrar. You're correct.

Here's a crop of the lower stamps plus an individual showing the same retouch. Let's see if this works.

You should be able to see engraving lines across the top right of the shield, and also across the white oval on the right. Then comapre the background within the oval and see there is no detail remaining of the fine lattice work on the right of the pair. It's especially obvious to the left of the spear.

73e_major_retouch_block copy.jpg73e_major_oval_retouch.jpg

Message 15 of 28
latest reply