cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this real?

Found this in the back of an old stock book.  At first I thought it was a Postal Card cut square, but the more I look at it the more I think its more of a cartoonish knockoff of something.....  thoughts??!!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is this real?

Hi

For what ever its worth, no idea exactly what this item is.

But, looks like a lot of work went into making it, that assuming its from the mid 19th century.

Dave

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

My thoughts exactly, its very detailed, and someone took the time to cut it out very carefully and mount it...its a puzzle for sure!
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

It's a Taylor.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

Sorry, I do not understand "Its a Taylor".

It appears to be George Washington to me.

Dave T.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

Try,

Samuel Allen Taylor,

David B.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

A notorius producer of bogus issues. Known as the "Master Grafter."  Leader of the "Boston Gang." Fascinating history. A must read.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

Not sure that it is a Taylor, didn't he shy away from using the phrase "US POSTAGE" ?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

Worth looking into. He generally just used "Postage." Still quite a story.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Is this real?

No, I very much doubt that it is "real"  It most resembles Essay No. 11-E12.  It is however very crude compared to the essay noted,  Missing all of the fine  fine detail.  Perhaps it is a rough draft but there is no mention of any such thing in U.S. Scott specialized.   Even though I can't remember any essay being forged, it is my guess that this piece is surely that, a forgery of 11-E12.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply