cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argentine stamp on pre-printed paper?

Anyone have any information about this stamp from Argentina? From the front it looks like a normal San Martin stamp from 1945/6 (Scott 537-549). I flipped it over to check the watermark and was surprised to find that it was on printed paper. I don’t recall any mention in the catalogue about pre-printed paper but we all know Scott isn't always the most thorough reference.  Any insights from someone who knows more about Argentine stamps?

Joe

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The Guillermo Jalil catalog has a lot of fun with this stamp design. Issued from 1942 to 1952, first with "sol redondo (O) (rayos ondulados) filigrana [I poorly translate that to mean the watermark is a round sun with wavy rays coming off]. The next issue is on "Papel mate nacional" or National Matte Paper. [I'm thinking this may be yours, but there's no image of the back]. Next up is "Filigrana sol con rayos rectos" which means the sun watermark, but with straight rays. Next up si "Papel Tizado", or tinted paper, these were typographed. Next up is an unwatermarked version, both offset and typographed. Catalog numbers and 2009 prices (in US $) for these are:

871 0,40 - wavy rays

878 0,20 - matte paper

882 120,00 - straight rays

887 0,20 - tinted

890 0,30 - offset

891 1,50 - typo

Mr. Jalil is very willing to answer questions, so perhaps a visit to his company site is in order: https://jalilstamps.com/index.php

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks Billsey,

I've checked out his site and perused through his listings to try and find something similar but no luck. So, as you suggested, I've reached out to him directly. If I get an answer I'll report back to close the loop for anyone interested.

Joe

Message 3 of 3
latest reply