cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay won't let me close my account

I have been trying to close my Ebay account for over 3 months, but it won't let me due to suspicous account activity. So I call in and tell them its me, close my account. Sorry, I can't see any reason why you can't close your account. So I walk them through me closing it again, same messgae. Ok, let me transfer you to the trust and safety team.......... thats who I clicked to call me in the first place. I have now been sitting on hold for 30mins, just close my account. I have had it since 1999 and have finally decided that Ebay sucks, now close it. Idiots.

HAHA awesome I just got someone who is now saying I removed my payment methond as a seller so my account have been suspended, I don't owe ebay or anyone else any money and it has been 4 months since my last sale.

Now I am being told I have to call paypal to be sure my paypal account is still active. I told them it is I used it today.

Now I am being told I have to link my paypal and ebay accounts back together before I can close my account. 

This is just a sad attempt to keep long time registered users to make the numbers look good at board meetings so sad.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Maybe it's different for sellers as opposed to buyers?  Years ago I closed my buying account, with regret, and had no problems whatsoever.  My PayPal stayed intact.

Perhaps you could try disconnecting your PayPal account from the eBay ID you wish to remove?  Hope you figure it out.

"Oh, Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet." St. Augustine (354-430)
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I am not surprised.  If members were voluntarily allowed to close their accounts it would reflect negatively on eBay.

Sorry you're being harassed for something that should be your right and privilege.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hey?

You're on a player on this team.

The eBay team.

This team don't quit.

It's players don't quit.

Now get back in line.

And pull for the team.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

passline
Scout

No surprises, they are PATHETIC.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

stw123,

you are an unregistered user, so you got your wish.

And by the way, if you owe money to ebay, they will keep at it until you pay them.

I am surprised you were even able to post here.

Even when I am telling a lie I am truthful. 🙂 Rick
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I can't close my eBay account , eBay won't let me so I filled a complaint with federal trade commission , there toll free number is 1-877-382-4357
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

just go and change your information. make a new email adress for that account , then close the email adress. first change the user id to a series of #'s.

once you info is accepted as change i'd just forget about it,

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@pkusa1 wrote:
I can't close my eBay account , eBay won't let me so I filled a complaint with federal trade commission , there toll free number is 1-877-382-4357

You can't just close an account on ebay instantly, even an account in good standing takes a while before it is closed by ebay. .  If ebay is not allowing you to do so, it is probably because you owe money or there are outstanding issues of some kind.

People try to do this all the time. Some folks think they can run up a bill and then close the account. 

The easiest thing to do is to change the passwords etc. and then not use it ever again. 

If you owe ebay anything they will keep after you until they get their money.

Filing with the FTC only costs the taxpayers money.   

Even when I am telling a lie I am truthful. 🙂 Rick
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I agree and am having the same issue. Ebay and Paypal are terrible companies. Both of them use automated systems, have **bleep**ty customer service and use trick tactics to keep customers. They are dishonest and unhelpful. 

I've tried to cancel my Ebay account twice now. Both times it says I have unresolved listings. I am selling nothing and have a 0 balance. This is a bunch of **bleep**. I spent two hours on hold with Paypal today to resolve an issue of identity theft. Someone opened a paypal account in my name, ran a few scams and deleted it. Now, collections is coming after me for something I didn't buy. 

I just can't believe how terrible these companies are! No accountability. No customer service. Why are they still in business? Amazon puts them to shame. I hope they both go bankrupt. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Can’t close my account. It says the reason is that I have made a payment which I have not made, balance £0, no logical or just reason at all.
i don’t see why you need to have a PayPal account to close an EBay one??? These are two separate companies aren’t they? What a rubbish, shirking excuse. Both of these companies and PayPal in particular are behaving somewhat like despots; even when you do get a human response instead of a robotic automated response, the people are rude and speak as though they are doing you a favour responding in person.
one even describes ‘their’ company as a financial institution.... 😱🤭😂 Oh the pomp & conceit...

Paypal now hold the monies for all eBay sales for 21 days, and monies withdrawals for 72 hours, claiming it as ‘security checks’
quite appaling really, like a state being policed by an over-inflated over-lord, they’ll be attempting to claim their prima nicer rights soon, like a bunch of deluded Pratt’s.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Financial Prima Nocte, Are they powered by Lithium indeed
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

You're full of it. Unless you have personally closed your account~~or at least, TRIED to close your account~~you should remain mute.
I am having problems closing two accounts. I owe nothing. They will not let me close the accounts because the rules are: If your account has gone into 'below average status', you have to raise the status level before closing the account. But E-Bay permanently suspended my account due to poor seller status!
I stepped into a clockwork orange!

Now I can't close my charity account because it's linked to that suspended account! The charity account has never gotten into 'below average' status.
E-Bay's just trying to boot out the puny sellers to make room for the, hopefully, more profitable ones. BUT E-Bay wants to appear to be a growing company at shareholder meetings.
So it's win/win for them.
I'm going to call that Fair Trade number to see about getting my accounts closed.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

We had the exact same problems, my wife wanted her own eBay account in her name, she completed the forms and at the end of form one, got a message stating it had NOT gone through,  not to worry, she started all over again and filled it in a second time using the same details, this time it went through and the account was opened, she never used it for some months then got a weird message that her account had been linked to terrorist activity, money laundering, crime syndicates and presumably Murder inc, and the dreaded EBAY Boy Scouts were on the job and had ready to spring into action.  What on earth had happened  By completing the two forms mentioned - it seems she unwittingly had opened two accounts?

Anyone whose phoned eBay knows it’s not straightforward, in fact it’s a Zombie Kingdom of pass-the buck, over the telephone my wife carefully explained she was an English white woman, a retired book keeper for an opticians, was age 68+, had no convictions and had  never left the country for years, nevertheless she was asked to send them a birth certificate, a recent photo of her and various I.D documents which we fools did, weeks later they said they'd not received them so we resent them again? In the end we said: "Just close the account, but hard to believe we were told it could not be closed and it could not be used. The account is still registered to us, it’s still listed as active but unused. eBay is full of such limbo land accounts, it’s been a nightmare organisation run by the patients for many years?   

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Why is this hard to close, i'm trying for 2 months now........**bleep**

Message 15 of 18
latest reply