cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any scams on buying a travel trailer?

Got a woman who listed on craigs list out of IN. Has moved to ME. Says she has the purchase and shipping arrainged with ebay. Is this fishy smell just paranoia?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Scaaaaaaaaam, no way no how.

If it says eBay anything about eBay foing anything on Craigslist it's a scam.

Did I say IT'S A SCAM
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

And a 2nd opinion,

SCAM
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

In an effort to dissuade a nice man who is in need of a trailer after an accident that destroyed the camper he is living in, I sent an email to the person (scammer) to show him that it was a scam. Here is the email. He was so convinced he was getting a deal. I HATE SCAMMERS!  

------- Original message --------
Date: 6/29/17 03:01 (GMT-08:00)
To: TERRI SANFORD 
Subject: Re: 2012 Jayco travel trailer

Hi Terri,

My 2012 Jayco Jay Flight is still for sale. It has a clear title and have 10 sleeping capacity and 2 slides out. The price was  reduced at $4000 as I need to sell it before July 4th, when I'll be  leaving with my unit Brigade Combat Team back to South Korea replacing  the troops scheduled to come home. The deal includes free delivery as  you may know we can ship a rv/bike/car  etc from home to the base and  back one time in a year for free. The trailer will arrive at your  address in 48hrs so my presence it's not necessary cause I have  everything arranged with eBay. You will have 5 days testing period  before I receive any money and if by any reason you find something you  don't like about, you can send it back on my expense and you will  receive a full refund of your money. It is located in Ft. HOOD, Texas..

If  you're interested in purchasing it, all I need from you is your full  name, phone# and shipping address and eBay will contact you shortly  after I forward them your contact details.
More photos at: http://imgur.com/a/zA1d1

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

I found a dump trailer for $2,000. that was supposedly reduced because she was leaving with her medic team out of the country. same set up as the listed Jayco camper. she didn't have to be there as the shipping was set up with eBay but she needed my full name and address so eBay can send it to me yadda yadda yadda all the same. So I googled dump trailer scams on eBay and I got several examples of almost word for batem. I have not and will not contact her for payment. Thank you for posting. As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

oh NO!!!  I JUST fell for this. 2,000 in ebay cards. balance is gone.  today, the next day. can i dispute with my ccard co.?? or just screwed

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

What's an Ebay card! Sounds like a SCAM!

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Hi all

My mother and I (separately--regarding two separate trailers) received a similar email from a similar supposed military person.  It's a scam.  He says he can't talk via phone because he's on a mission of some sort. In a follow up email he says he will have the trailer delivered at no charge via ebay for a 5 day review.   SCAM.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

I had similar experience. Beware of any deals that come from supposedly military personnel. Dante’s inferno has a nice place for these people. Not only are they trying to scam people’s hopes and dreams, but posing as military personnel will surely get them to the lowest level!
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

You usually have protection with your CC company. If goods delivered are not as expected or not delivered at all you dispute the charge 

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

I've been looking for a vintage trailer...found one on Craigslist, beautiful condition, only 1200. I offered to come see it, but it was already wrapped for shipment thru ebay. I could inspect it for 5 days....it wouldn't cost me a dime if I didn't like it. I jumped at it!! I received an official looking email from eBay. It said the camper was being delivered but I had to pay the 1200, as a refundable deposit , with  ebay gift cards.

I was so excited... but it seemed too good to be true. I did a little googling, thankfully.  YES, ITS A SCAM!! Totally disappointed but very thankful not to be a victim of this despicable scum bag.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

4/18/2019

They are still using this scam. Beware of it. Check the email I got today.

Forwarded email: 

Hi again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Billings, Montana. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the trailer. It is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered.
The shipping cost is included in the selling price of the trailer! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you: full name, address and a phone number.

Once I got all the details I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They will email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.Thank you.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Yes! They are still using this scam. I woke up to this message:
The 2008 Forest River Cherokee is still available. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been involved in any kind of accidents. It has length 31, sleep up to 8 people, 1 air conditioners, 1 awnings , 2 slide outs, dual axles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES at all and I have the clean title in hand. I'm selling it at this final price $1,300 because my husband passed away 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job, moved back to my hometown, and many other things have priority now, so, this travel trailer has to go. If you are interested in buying my travel trailer, feel free to email me.

I also attached more pictures.Best regards, Brenda Potts
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Also the person who lists this trailer on Facebook Marketplace claims to be trailer owner’s sister. She then asked for my email, which I gave last night. The listing was marked as sold and the “sister’s account was deleted. Weird, huh? The seller can use eBay, but has no idea how to sell on FB. Hmmmm....
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

This guy is still out there and he cannot be stopped????

Message 15 of 46
latest reply