cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being scammed by a buyer?

A buyer with a new profile and zero purchase history purchased an item from me for just over $130, including shipping. I printed a shipping label yesterday and was about to take the item to the post office today when I recieved 3 separate messages from the buyer (see below).  Does this sound like a scam? Luckily, I haven't shipped the item out yet, but I'm wondering if I should move forward pursuing a transaction with this person. 

Thanks.

1) 

New message from: latwi1257-yphhdiy (0)

I had a hard time purchasing this item with my pay pal account, so I called pay pal and I had to answer security questions on my account first, then they told me to go back and purchase it, but it should of been purchased as a pay pal credit, I was told wrong by pay pal. They told me this morning to contact you and have you refund payment and re process as a pay pal credit. I would really appreciate it, since it came out of my bank account and I was not expecting it to. Pay pal said they would also be sending you a follow up email

2) I purchased an Verizon IPhone 5S from you and apparently Pay pal customer service told me to click the pay pal button instead of the pay pal credit, because it was having a security problems. 

Now I called pay pal this morning and they said I need to have you refund payment and re process it as pay pal credit.  If you would I would appreciate it.

Thanks

3)Please refund my payment and re process the payment as a pay pal credit – the item I purchased was item #172610980803 verizon Iphone 5S, my email address is twill0819@gmail.com

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I think so, especially since it involves a phone.  I think my buyer's account got hacked and the shipping address was changed at (what I thought) was buyer's request.  Day my iPhone 6s was delivered the buyer contacted me and said it was sent to the wrong city.  Whatever you do, DON'T refund the transaction.  You will not see that money again. 

ninidebra

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you didn't send her the item yet than she can't get it without paying. It could be the buyer is new to the Paypal game. I have also paid for an item with a credit card through Paypal, just to find it the money was deducted from my bank account on file instead. Basically you are risking nothing if you have sent her nothing.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@carleighscloset  How can you "re-process" the Buyer's Payment as PayPal Credit whne you do not have access to their account.  Check your PayPal account ... is there a paid item transaction there?

Were all the messages in eBay Messaging or were they direct emails to you?  While I don't know everything I know I have never heard of this.  Yes, its true the Buyer could be inexpreinced and not realize they have to put $$ in their PP account to use it or perhaps use a credit card ... but to me it is theirs to decide what payment to use.

I think you might want to message the Buyer and suggest they message you in eBay messaging and request a cancellation ... then cancel and work out when you will relist the item for the Buyer in the next 24 hours (you both agree on day and time) and that will let the Buyer get their PayPal account straightened out before proceeding.  You probably know that if you cancel without a request you get a strike on your account.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Maybe you should call PayPal direct and get an answer from them

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

He wants you to refund, so I would cancel the order as buyers request and do the refund.

If he want's to repurchase, he can do it himself.

Happy Easter
Message 6 of 6
latest reply