cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Misdescribed chess sets on ebay!

Use this thread to notify group members about misdescribed chess sets on ebay.
Message 1 of 498
latest reply
497 REPLIES 497

worldwide509
Enthusiast
Not trying to be a "Chess Cop" I would however like to point out what I feel may be a problem with a current listing. Item Nr. 180051401808 listed as a 1854 Jaques Anderssen style Staunton set. The seller was questioned by someone in the Netherlands about whether of not the Knights were all matching and original to the set. The reply was that they are. In my humble opinion there does seem to be the following problems with the black knights. 1. in the detailed knights photo's, the 1st black knight on the left seems to have a mane thats a bit higher. 2. The cut of the chest on the black knight to the right is more pronounced 3. The nose of the two white knights are the same. On the two black knights, each are slightly different. 4. The base bevel of the knight on the far right is different. I've been wrong before but I believe both black knights are from different sets. If you are of a mind to bid on this item, please do NOT let me guide you. It's only my uneducated opinion.
Message 2 of 498
latest reply

Indeed I was a bit suspicious. However I thought only the black knight at the left was a bit different, it looks more slender and nose down; but it is also turned left a little bit (look at ear-tips). And small differences are not uncommon. Further the images give too less detail and one should ask for better ones to be sure. But what also bothered me is that the style (at least of pieces other than knights) seem to me not Andersson Dropped-Jaw style (see www.houseofstaunton.com) and the knights seem to me to be at the short side!? At last: why is the yellow label missing? At least that's a pity. PS: I do not know who has invented the nomenclature for the Jaques sets. I have been told these are not from Jaques. Who can help me with that?
Message 3 of 498
latest reply

i agree the black knight looks a little different , and also a little taller. however it is the fact that the seller is now been using another name ,that is very interesting to me. why does such a well informed seller change his selling name ? to the best of my knowledge the previous name had over 500 feedback !!!!!!!!!
Message 4 of 498
latest reply

la200o
Enthusiast
What was the previous selling name? Bill
Message 5 of 498
latest reply

"Old English" pattern: 170052600895 Aarghhh...
Message 6 of 498
latest reply

In response to the earlier query, I believe this person selling the Jaques set was originally known as ‘colormagic’ and while I don’t know what might have motivated him to change his Ebay identity, I do know that it is all too easy to build up a new positive feedback track record by buying a lot of low cost items before moving on to become a seller of expensive items. In these type of cases I think it would be prudent for potential buyers to carefully check the new feedback ratings and also try to make contact with other experienced collectors who may have had dealings with the seller in the past.In the case of this particular seller, I am more than happy to share my experience of dealing with him, which to say the least was very bad.
Message 7 of 498
latest reply

i agree 100 % dermot , on this issue. changing user names for selling purposes ,when one has a considerable existing feedback , cannot possibly be for the benefit of the buyer.
Message 8 of 498
latest reply

whilst this st george set is not an important one ,the seller seems to offer the usual high praise for their item. 140056973251 melsden2 is the seller with a low start bid. when i mailed this seller to explain the knights heads were not correct ... i received a curt reply ... we are selling the set for a third party. another example of misleading selling ,clearly this set is being sold by a most ill informed party. why do such sellers state having knowledge ,then when questioned on their knowledge , plead ignorance .
Message 9 of 498
latest reply

e bay executives help please help ... now the chiniese are offering jaques sets .... please please make even sellers private ... secure our safety .... these sets are well listed not copies of previous auctions . excellent feedback of zero in many cases, perfect english information offered from very english named chiniese sellers. collectors in the group are most afraid in bidding for these non existing sets in china . make sure pay pal is removed as we charge down the insecure banking route to pay for these non existing sets. WE ARE ALL VERY STUPID COLLECTORS .
Message 10 of 498
latest reply

i wonder what we should do in the group ,if a member has made an error in the description or an omission on his listing . an idea i have is to mail robert with an opinion and he then offers a message to the group member seller. this way we can assume it was a genuine accident and he will amend his description. it also of course might stop group ,members from getting upset with each other.
Message 11 of 498
latest reply

worldwide509
Enthusiast
talk about a dealer that doesn't have a clue about what they are selling... check this out! what is the - UTH - Century? See expired item 270068214444 and read the heading for the chess set! I give up...
Message 12 of 498
latest reply

Hello Worldwide509, No need to go to pieces on this inexpensive plastic set. The dealer not only prices to sell but most likely writes VERY brief and FAST descriptions as well. The UTH Century is of course 11th Century. The Old English(?) font used on the box most likely threw him off. This is rather innocuous and no harm really done to either buyer or seller. dwolf359
Message 13 of 498
latest reply

I agree in this case. It is very clearly stated that the set is a replica. UTH century is just a funny mistake. IMHO it even gives us a hint that seller has no ill will or desire to cheat.
Message 14 of 498
latest reply

the seller top - antiques in the usa has a set well worth looking at. item 290062270459.... he has two others but this is a beauty .... description ???????? lund fisher !!!! they appear to have had a drunken knight in making this set ,as the quality seems low. age ... 1750-1800 ??? i agree jon .... material bone , this looks correct , but ... the kings dont match. one red bishop looks odd. one red rook looks a little different. the queens even look a little different ,and one knight seems a trite odd too. even allowing for some variations , its a set that i would pass on anyway. its the seller calling himself top -antiques that is far more worrying. all it takes is a few bidders ,and this turkey may have a darned good christmas... the buyer sure wont if the reserve is on the high side .
Message 15 of 498
latest reply