cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jaques London knight

Hi guys!

I have the Alan Fersht Jaques London guide and i like it so much!

I have recently seen in an ebay auction a pattern of knight i've never seen before.

The auction has in the subject: ANTIQUE JAQUES 1862 WEIGHTED CHESS SET

(i don't know if it's allow to put an url here... if allow said to me and i will paste it)

Could someone let me know the 'name' of this pattern chess set?

I'm not able to recognize it using the guide...

thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Jaques London knight

The auction finished in 1000 GBP !!!

The auction's number was 121031665066.

Could someone recognize the Jaques pattern and share the 'name'?

thank you guys

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Jaques London knight

Item numbers are ok to post. I searched for it by description before and didn't find it or I would have tried to answer (though my answer now is not terribly helpful; it's just no one else seems to be responding.) I can't say I've seen these knights before... are they "megamouth?" If so that's a rare (if ugly, IMO) pattern, though they don't look quite like other megamouth sets I've seen. Maybe someone who's more Jaques expert will fill in here.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Jaques London knight

There is a certain problem with this sale listed as private item... it has been getting two similar bids of 1000 GBP and now item is re-listed under the number 121047120883 ... I think it has to do with a shield bidding or with the attempt to push the price up in the searches. d4_colle has bought something for this seller, possibly he can tell us more about?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Jaques London knight

Hi!

I finally buy one of this Jaques set but without box. The auction was 121034466192. I don't still know the name of this set. I have it at home and I can make some photos to show you to identified it. I like very much.

The auction you have written I think it's for a different Jaques set. It seems to me a Anderssen drop jaw, it doesn't seem to the 'unknow' set.

I was comparing the first and the secod Alan Ferst guide and i have found some differences in dating chess set between two editions. If i have time i will post it to speak about it tonight.

And talking about relisting... I have bought a jaques chess set last week in a 'buy it now' (drop jaw but with two black knights bad replacements) and after payment seller said to me that he can't sell the chess set because he hasn't  family permission to sell and gave me back the money... and a day after his message he put the set again and a very known chess dealer purchased it in the 'buy it now' for 100GBP more than my first price... I guess the seller offered it to him and didn't say that the set was already sold...

😉

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Jaques London knight

Hi,

I finally took the pics... 

Do someone know the name and the period of this jaques knight? 

thanks folks!

cab.JPG

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Jaques London knight

Hi,

current ebay auction :  141081205006

is for the same Jaques knight and it say: Circa 1870-75 "Tarrasch" type Knight

I suposse it's right... 

regards

Message 7 of 7
latest reply