Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DESIGNER Anri chess sets

This the thread for discussions about ANRI chess sets
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: DESIGNER Anri chess sets

Baron, Sorry but your transparent ploy to get me to sell you my Anri's won't work. 😛 My three sets: Monsalvat, mini-Monsalvat, Far West and Universum. Er, I mean my four, yes, that's it FOUR Anri's: Monsalvat, mini-Monsalvat, Far West and Universum will be staying put for now. (Have I bragged on my Anri's enough already?) John VT, Don't have nothing to comment on the current Anri's other than I can't believe that one guy that paid a queen's ransom for that set with the chewed up rook. I'm sure it wasn't lsarios as he's taken my advice. For now I'm in the same boat as the Baron ... no moola for some serious Anri bidding. But that may change after I hold up a bank (they got all the TARP money just sitting there doing nothing. I can certainly use it to add that Carribean set to my Anri Collection). B-) Cheers! dwolf350something
Message 106 of 120
latest reply

Sell?? Who said anything about sell?
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 107 of 120
latest reply

Hiya, Dan Dwolf (357 pat pat) ;-) I restrained myself on the emoticons; I wanted to use a lot more, but thought better of it! On a serious note, though, I like your collection of wooden ANRIs - and I am glad you let us know what you have (and/but I do not consider your mentioning of those sets as bragging.) Telling us what you have can add for further discussion. Question: Can you tell me more of your "mini-Monsalvat"? (I would like some details... I like details...) Might it be similar or the same as the following? http://www.eosef.com/chesscollector09/main/tblitems.php?a=VIEW&m=Search criteria: chess +sold&p=1&v=L&id=155&n4=chess&n5=sold&n7=on&n8=on& Duncan D-baron (and Dan Dwolf). Yes, I do have that catalogue somewhere... got it from Floyd (as you had suggested) many moons and sun revolutions ago. Now, if I can only find that catalogue and even read it! Regardless, you give good advice to fans of Wooden and Toriat ANRIs. John. PS: I have an extra, extremely large, folding (into 4 rectangular sections) ANRI board that (as I recall) has 4 inch squares. It needs some repair (mainly at the folding areas, where piano hinge-like metal devices are/would be). Anyone interested in some type of barter or monetary exchange arrangement? If so, I will go and make accurate measurements as well as a better assessment as to condition...
Message 108 of 120
latest reply

I cannot claim to have any interest in Anri sets, and have zero expertese. However this Album put together by Robert is to be commended. http://picasaweb.google.com/thechesscollectors/ANRI What a fine looking construction for Collectors of these Chessmen. The Moro site is equally impressive, withholding text omissions. 😉
Message 109 of 120
latest reply

Guy Chesspurr, Thanks for the link to Robert's photo album. I agree; it is outstanding! (Every once in a while, when I go to such Picasa Photo Albums, I see very high quality of pictures and good information and/or discussion about chess sets. No wonder why you often urge folks to have such a photo album.) Thanks again! Should I assume, (Dan Dwolf or Robert Van Der), that the last ANRI set shown in Robert's photo album (which he calls "Camelot" and has a 3 1/4 tall king) is the "Mini-Montsalvat" to which you (Dan) referred a few postings ago? Unless I have missed it, I do not see in that photo album, any "Mini-Montsalvat" chess set. John. PS: Or maybe I should just finally dig out the ANRI catalog and see if one with such a title exists there?
Message 110 of 120
latest reply

John VT, Sorry your Anri catalog is "way in the back". No need to hurt yourself attempting to get it if such an endeavour proves perilous. I can tell you that the Monsalvat Miniature is model no. 71813. It is not the last Anri shown in Robert's excellent album. Look at photos nos. 235-252 instead. That's the Monsalvat Miniature. For some unknown reason they are listed on Robert's album as being 7" tall. The Anri catalog itself lists this set as 3" tall. The king in my set stands 3.5". Since I have only one set in my collection as reference it's possible that sets with 3" kings exist. However, am less inclined to accept that such a pedestal style as this was done with a 7" king. Methinks this was just an innocous mis-labelling in Robert's album. Dan P.S. You caught me red-handed, Johnny V. You knew I'm very inclined to make up fake Anri sets and then claim that I own them. ]:) So double check your Anri catlog. Just don't blame me if you break an arm or leg tyring to dig it out of that closet with the 300 chess sets! Oy! :^O
Message 111 of 120
latest reply

John, I have changed the titles. Now you can find the miniature Monsalvat sets (painted and not painted). Dan, My email is robert@thechesscollectors.com
Message 112 of 120
latest reply

Robert, Have sent you photos of what I think may be a 71005. Feel free to share them by posting to your Anri album. Let me know what do you think about this set? Dan
Message 113 of 120
latest reply

Dan, Thank you for the photos. I have placed them in my ANRI album. It's for me the first time to see this set. I love the presentation box. The chess pieces are maybe not wood but genuine ivory and ebony. Something ANRI also used for number 91800. Who has more information? Do you agree photos 253 - 264 are number 71006? Robert
Message 114 of 120
latest reply

Robert, Yes, I agree that album photos 253-264 are most likely Anri catalog no. 71006. The 7-inch old style Monsalvat painted. I have to admit that I did a re-think on the three photos I submitted. They cannot be 71005. Here's why. (1) The gold deluxe fancy box is identical to that of no. 81801. (2) The design is also similar to the 81801. These two key points are shown on the front page of the Anri catalog. So the photos of the black and white Monsalvat that I sent you may be an unlisted variety. But they do belong in the "new" version of this branch. Have noticed that the pawns of the "old" version of the Monsalvat (nos. 71005 white/black and 71006 painted) are completely different that those of the "new" version. My mistake was that the catalog mentions "white/black" for no. 71005. So automatically I thought that was what they were. But this is not correct. Until additional information comes to light, my belief is that this set is an unlisted Anri belonging to the 71801 / 81801 family. The king would have to be 5.75-inch. Cheers! Dan
Message 115 of 120
latest reply

Hi, Dan. Thanks for the added info - and your detailed discussions (including with Robert) on the ANRIs. I have to admit that you have appropriately shamed me :_| into (at least) opening my closet door in search of the Anri catalog. I have been laughing so much at your tongue-in-cheek comments to me (which I actually appreciate and which is usually reserved for our British cousins rather than our American brothers) that I just managed to crawl to the correct chess room! 😉 There is a saying, "one day at a time". In my case, it is an agonizingly slow, "one step at a time". I will keep you posted as to my endeavors, "in search of the missing treasure"... which I wonder if could be found in this evening's TV "Survivor" series show. (Watching that show will indeed come first, since I do have my priorities!) :^O "Johnny V".
Message 116 of 120
latest reply

It seems like it's been quite a while since this thread topic has been utilized. Maybe it's time to revive it?

I suspect that the following set up for bid (at a hefty price, too) is not an ANRI. The seller does not describe it an ANRI; the boxboard does not look all that ANRI-ish; and I don't see any little related stickers that often accompany ANRIs.

BUT the pieces are from carved wood, and seem relatively well carved at that. It is also, reportedly made in Italy. Perhaps one of the other Italian, small woodcarving companies?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380359311267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts? Clay (Noybear)? Floyd (Lichess)? Dan (dwolf)? Robert (Van der)? Where is co-leader Robert these days, anyway? Other ANRI fans?

John (sleepless in Vermont).

-- Edited by knight_knight_zzz at 02/28/2012 12:46 AM PST
Message 117 of 120
latest reply

John,

This set that you noticed being listed is most certainly NOT by Anri !

The figures appear to have excellent detail but at the same time the pictures indicate, to me, that the figures are also very flat, similar to the myriad lesser oriental bone sets. The opposing themes also put me at a loss as the white side pawns appear very Roman-esque altho the queen and other "royalty" pieces almost seem Helenic. The dark side is more Islamic from several centuries later. On the plus side is that the figures all seem to go well in overall composition.

Just using my eyes, which are very prone to defect, and based on his height numbers (which I think he got reversed), I am guessing the bases at close to 2" in diameter but it also would indicate that the pieces are of approximately 1/8" material but certainly no greater than 3/16". The detail difference is something that I know very little about but on a wild guess only, I am thinking that it may be a case of pyrography (wood burning) as some of the tips and so forth these days is way beyond what I was used to as a child. We can only assume that the backs of pieces are equally detailed but I did not see one picture that shows even a partial back altho I guess that this assumption (for backs being done also) could be made on the basis of the knights facing opposite directions ?

Based on the myriad facts that I have made assumptions about, my best guess is that it was made by using a laser to cut the detail , profiles and so forth which would also explain the detail "coloring" and particularly the exactness of figure duplication.

The box/ case could be of Italian manufacture but could just as well have been done in India and retrofitted with material to hold the pieces so I cannot offer any opinion on it.

The seller does not indicate that it might be OOAK but I am prone to think that it might very well be exactly that. Despite that fact, I really do not believe that a price of 1/4th the current asking price will ever be realized and probably less than that, but who knows ?

Clay Neubert

Message 118 of 120
latest reply

Clay, You are right on point. NOT ANRI, and I agree with all of your comments.on this set. Floyd

Message 119 of 120
latest reply

I have a set of Chessman I believe may be an ANRI Knights of the Round Table set. Where could I send/post photos to find out more about it? My mother purchased the set in Morocco in 1957.
Message 120 of 120
latest reply