Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DESIGNER Anri chess sets

This the thread for discussions about ANRI chess sets
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: DESIGNER Anri chess sets

Hi John, I have almost the same (350368352541) set in my collection. I think it is collectable! But I don't have a "standard" chess set collection 😉
Message 91 of 120
latest reply

John, Relax. Take a few deep breaths. Drink some nice cold lemonade or frosty alcoholic beverage of your choice. Clear your mind and head out to do some summer frolicking in the sunlight. Forget about the FAKE Anri. Even I can whittle a better looking set with one hand tied behind my back. It's worth more like $11.49 and $1,149.00. So, stop obsessing over a set that is not even worthy of a "dime a dozen" Mexican tourist set. :^O Now get out there and enjoy the day! Dan P.S. Actually, I'm waiting for the auction to end (which I know won't sell) so I can offer him $800! 😉
Message 92 of 120
latest reply

Hey, Dan. Thanks for the good thoughts. I took your advice, and (after I did outside chores until about 2:30 p.m.), I rested (napped for 1 1/4 hours), then cleaned up just enough to go to a homemade pizza get-together, "refreshments" and a dyingly slow game of chess (still not finished). As for the "FAKE ANRI" (we shouldn't say that too loudly, since our coleader Robert seems to have such a set - though I certainly agree it is "collectible"), are you really serious in your thoughts of it having a market value of $800? If so, (and not to be competitive or anything...), but I could whittle it with TWO hands tied behind my back... ;-) John.
Message 93 of 120
latest reply

John, A put some pictures in a new photo album for you 😉
Message 94 of 120
latest reply

Robert, thanks for the personal pictures of your own large ANRI "wannabe". Actually, is it my imagination, or is the facial carving of yours better than that of the item up for current bid on ebay (350368352541)...? In addition, 350368352541 has a 5 inch tall king. Your king appears to be about 8-9 inches in height? (That is, assuming that the true nearby ANRI you pictured is between 4 inches and 4 1/2 inches tall...) I think that yours pictured (the fake anri) is better than the one in 350368352541. In this case, I think that size does (did) matter. So, Dan, I could see how you'd possibly be willing to pay a few hundred bucks if you saw one like Robert's... but the set in 350368352541 ??? Are you "pulling my leg"? Or are you serious? (Can't tell on that one.) Relaxed John. 😉
Message 95 of 120
latest reply

John, the king is almost 9 inches and I agree the carving is better then 350368352541.
Message 96 of 120
latest reply

ANRI fans... Price is getting right up there, eh? 180542814509. I like it - much more than the space-age anri. But I am feeling somewhat chinsy (chinsey? chinzey? Spellcheck does not seem to be working here, or is that word too localized?) with my wallet. I am not bidding, FYI... John.
Message 97 of 120
latest reply

Hi John, My auto search mist this one (only shipping in the U.S.). This set appears to be not that common. Not like the space age.
Message 98 of 120
latest reply

Well, at least the shipping seems reasonable. Space age? Price up to the moon? "Space cadet" asking price? As the saying goes... "whatever the market will bear" (but it does seem to be a bear of a price!) 160475600814. You decide. For your convenience, click onto: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160475600814&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:wa... John.
Message 99 of 120
latest reply

Dan (Dwolf35), Robert (Van Der), and Clay (Noybear)... ok, and you too, Duncan (d-baron)! 😉 (Plastic People are more than welcome in this very select thread! Hey, I have a few plastic sets myself; my very first travel set as a child was a nice knight-on-the-cover plastic set, and I cherish it!) ;-) This ANRI realized price was actually not all that bad. (But I would have had to sell my wife to afford it - if I had bid and if I had had the winning bid). 130428926897 Nicely sized King (at 5 1/2 inches or so, if my short term memory is functioning.) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130428926897&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Seller has a feedback of only (2), so buyer is taking a chance? Well, I guess everyone has to start somewhere, eh? John. PS: Happy Sun Day in Cloudy Vermont!
Message 100 of 120
latest reply

I like ANRIs. (So what else is new?) Well, what also is not new is that the (financial) value of these sets, for some reason, continues to climb. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120624423628 This particular set had gone for about $450 just a few years ago. Now, even with damage to chess pieces, it is going for over $500. (Maybe not all that much of a difference, but it still did climb, and not all chess sets climb in financial value, as many of you already know...) Granted, they are finely carved. They have been referred to as "...the antiques of the future..." (though that will certainly be after I kick the bucket!) and I believe (but am not sure) that the ANRI company is still making just one s tyle figural set.) The rest of the myriad s tyles have been "retired". BTW, I still think that some chess collectors do not see or appreciate the fine carving and coloration of these figural ANRIs. Then again, "to each his own." However, I really do think that the prices, which many if not most of the sellers of these ANRIs have been asking (and which they have generally been going for), are way out of line. I suspect that as time goes on, the asking and realized prices will likely settle down to more realistic, long-term prices. One s tyle of ANRI that seems to have exceptionally (and unreasonably) skyrocketed... and please pardon the unintended pun... is the "Space Age" set. John, VT. PS: Dan Dwolf... you do know that I was only joking around and teasing you and others in my previous posting on this thread, right? 😉
Message 101 of 120
latest reply

John VT, Speaking for all plastic folks I got one thing to say to you, "I got your wooden Anri right here, buddy!" :^O dwolf357 magnum P.S. Well maybe not exactly "here" but somewhere in storage way in the back. I got three of them and I don't mean Lowe plastics or Toriart junk either! Just don't like to brag on them like some ktkt guy. But they're there, lurking. ]:)
Message 102 of 120
latest reply

:O ?:| :^O
Message 103 of 120
latest reply

Whoa! I've reduced John VT to three mere emoticons? Gotta pat myself on the back! (pat, pat) Setting aside my silliness for a while, if you're an Anri lover, do try to get the Anri catalog from Floyd Sarisohn. Excellent guide to sets from this fine company (including Toriart). Dan P.S. My apologies to Toriart aficionados out there, they're not junk. Just the more affordable end of the Anri spectrum. Enjoy!
Message 104 of 120
latest reply

Hmm, Dan, anytime you need my address...... I'm not always home to receive packages but I can always make arrangements. ]:) I did get that ANRI publication from Floyd and it is indeed an excellent guide. Now if I could only afford more ANRI than just the catalog......
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 105 of 120
latest reply