DESIGNER Anri chess sets

This the thread for discussions about ANRI chess sets
Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: DESIGNER Anri chess sets

rascasso
Enthusiast
John, what is there to discuss on ANRI chess pieces? I understand somebody published a book on ANRI collectibles - available on ebay - but I do not know whether the chess sets are listed. Otherwise - one colectors may like them, another tolerate them, a third consider them vulgar, a fourth painted poppets for glass cases. While we do not know in which numbers they were made, we may surmise in pretty good numbers - after all , most are made with machine-aided multiplication (pantograph etc.). Stan, there is a lot about ANRI in books - and on the net - start with www.anri.it ANRI is Anton Rifesser SPA, a traditional family-owned carving business in the Val Gardena which used to live off carving - now it is tourism. but woodcarving mainly of religious content is still an important part of life up the valley. ANRI chess sets were plentyful, lots of designs /check the collectors database and the appropriate photalbum in this forum), yes they were - and are blood y expensive (check ANRI in a search machine) - and they are special because they became a major fad in ANRI's principal export market, the US of A. As witnessed by the special ANRI category on ebay.com.. cheers rascasso
Message 31 of 120
latest reply

stanpkerr
Enthusiast
rascasso I see, they are what Europeans regards as tourist tat and Americans lap up. thanx for the heads up Stan
Message 32 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
...no, that is not correct - nor what I meant....ANRI sets do have an inherent design and production quality...otherwise they wouldnt be copied so much ... even next door in Val Gardena... you have to distinguish between - handwhittled ANRI sets - very few (the very early sets), - carved wood sets with machine aid (almost everything after the 60ies), - Toriart imitations in resin/woodudst mixtures (eyecathcing and cheap looking), - plastic copies from Taiwan or even endorsed by ANRI itself (good honest c r a p). Also, far, far be it from me to typify american preferences in chess sets or anything else vz. European sophistication - some of he greatest and most knowledgeable chess collectors or chess lore experts are or have been - American.... rascasso
Message 33 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
also, it is worth meditating on the fact that the overwhelming part fo chess sts fe to be seen on ebay are basically travel souvenirs ... the rest is, rejected presents, authentic antiques, artists one or two offs - and an indefinable hodgepodge of stuff that is neither here nor there...
Message 34 of 120
latest reply

Stan,Nich: Nich summarizes well, esp types (materials). 3 lines: Focus on wooden carved; some (esp faces) are exceptionally/finely carved & much better than 350022192913. Don't care for modern design "Universum". Some ANRIs overpriced. Prices: $200-$2,500(?) Simple clean design travel boxes. John.
Message 35 of 120
latest reply

Stan, and anyone else interested in Anri sets. I have published a small booklet on Anri sets showing almost all Anri sets ever made and the details as to when they were made. I have a few copies left. They are considered the finest of wood carved figural sets made over the past 50 years, and many (not only Americans) collectors have one or more in their collection. I have personally visited the Anri factory in Val Gardenia, Italy, over the past 15 years. The sets will be more collectable in the future since Anri stopped making all but the montsalvat design set, a few years ago. Although in recent years they were rough carved via machine and pantograph, all wood carved sets were hand finished by master carvers and painted by highly skilled workers. There will be an exhibit of Anri sets at the Chess Collectors International Convention in Boca Raton, Florida April 29 to May 4, 2008. Floyd Lichess@aol.com
Message 36 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
John, very succinct - almost steno crypt - next step is morse - then telepathy.. salve Nick
Message 37 of 120
latest reply

Hi, Nick. Congrats winning bid: 350022192913; good price (due to large size & despite mismatched box & damaged knight). Intend to have songing sparring partner, Alan D. Chessspy, repair it? John. PS: "Stan" (I think I know who you are!), another ANRI up for bid: (UK) 330210494411 starting at $970+ US.
Message 38 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Yep, very good price, but pieces probably splotched - that is why wise people like you abstained. I like fixing things - gives a chess set a more personal touch. As for fixing a broken knight, I will have to see. In any case, this is probably the most copied design worldwide, after the jaques desing, naturally. Cheers Nick PS 330210494411 is the small size, ungilded Monsalvat - kind of the economy model - You'll note the seller does not give dimesnions, here the kings is 90 mm instead of 125 mm in the large size Monsalvat, stands polehihg on the turned bases. See Knowledge base. Seller is a bit optimistic in my opinion, but we will know for sure at the close of the auction.
Message 39 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Hello all, an intersting question for me is how at ANRI they contrived to downsize the origanl large design of the Montsalvat - it is very similar after all, not a completly new design. Will a pantograph por a CNC-operated machine help in doing so? In any case, I notice the bases on the smaller version are so grotesquely high in order to enable the pieces to fit into the same box as conceived for the larger pieces.... rascasso
Message 40 of 120
latest reply

Anri did use pantograph to downsize or increase size of the montsalvat set. I have been there and watched them use pantograph and machine to "rough carve". However, they use "master carvers" with years of experience, to put the fine finishing touches to each set. Machine first, hand work second. Finished product is a real work of art from a woodcarvers point of view. Since they have stopped making all but the montsalvat set, prices will continue to increase. Floyd Lichess@aol.com
Message 41 of 120
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Floyd, two comments: if ANRI have stopped all chess sets apart from the rather rather magnificient LARGE model Montsalvat, that would mean it is not worth their while any more - they make their money on bottle stoppers and creche figurines, and chess as marketable item is decreasing. On the other hand, other carving houses in the Grödner Tal/Val Gardena still do chess sets. As for price rises on ANNI, only time will tell - they did turn out quite a lot of them, which will be cropping up again and again. After all, nobody plays chess with them, so they are generally well preserved in their custom-built boxes - and may well lastinto the fourth millennium.... nick
Message 42 of 120
latest reply

For all ANRI style lovers. I found a German site where they sell hand carved hand painted high quality wooden chess sets. Have a look at
Message 43 of 120
latest reply

Robert (Van Der...), Sorry for the delay in responding; just saw your post yesterday. Thanks for the info! 4 Questions: 1.) Do you know if this site has an English version? 2.) Pictures are small for the chess sets; any way to enlarge them? 3.) Any idea of the size of the pieces? 4.) Do you know the asking prices for the sets? John, Vt.
Message 44 of 120
latest reply

For Floyd Floyd, Do you still have the Anri catalogs you put together? Am interested in obtaining one. For Any Member Are there any special tips on caring for Anri wood sets? i.e. Can you put lemon oil on it without damaging the color? What steps should be taken to prevent the chessmen from drying out and perhaps cracking or splitting? Lastly, I recently acquired an Anri Monsalvat set. But the base does not look "normal". All of the examples I've seen on ebay or in catalogs show the pieces standing on a small riser which is attached to the pedestal. The pieces in my set have no riser and stand right on top of the pedestal itself. Is this because mine is an older model or perhaps a fake? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan Here's a link to the photo: http://picasaweb.google.com/dwolf359/Miscellany#5311257029738892194
Message 45 of 120
latest reply