cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum machined chess set-anyone know this designer or have seen this set before? and

Hi-

I just bought this set at auction and thought it was really cool. I tried to research it, but cannot find another like it. The pieces fit perfectly in the wood box. The wood box is a piece of art itself and have locking miter joinery.

The king is 3 3/8" tall, queen 2 7/8", bishop 2 3/4", knight 2 1/4" rook 2" and pawns are 1 7/8".

I was wondering if anyone has seen this set before or knows who they designer may be? Also, would anyone have an idea of the age? I am guessing 60's based on the machining and style.

Thanks so much!

Carrie

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Aluminum machined chess set-anyone know this designer or have seen this set before? and

In cases like this I go to Google Image (http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en) and enter the search phrase "aluminum chess set." Up pops a gazillion photos of aluminum chess sets, but not this one. Are the black pieces also aluminum? And are you sure it's aluminum? Maybe the phrase "metal chess set" will turn up more images. I have an Austin Cox set from the 60s but not so Man Ray futuristic as yours. I can only say that as mediums go, aluminum is one of the easier metals to work. Someone with proper equipment, metalworking skills, and an abiding interest in chess sculpture could turn this set in a garage setting. In that case it would be a one off piece of work, which might make it more valuable or less valuable. Just don't know. But it does have exquisite design and the hinged form-fit casket makes the whole set a superior work of art. Matching board? Possible clue... check the undersides of every piece and see if the custom-fit interiors lift out. There might be a logo or signature somewhere.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's defintely aluminum, including the black ones.

The bottoms are all felted otherwise I would check up inside. I don't think I should remove the felt?

I am leaning towards one off, but it seems like a ton of work just to produce the "casket". Do they make those "casket" inserts to order or are they standard?

It is a beautiful set with great lines...

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I would be reluctant to remove the baize or felt. I would guess that somebody with a home metalshop might work wood as well. In the retail marketplace, a leading vendor like House of Staunton will offer "generic" caskets which accommodate a range of Staunton-style sets (and could hold others with similar heights and base diameters). If the recessed areas that hold the pieces are snug fits that appear to be shaped expressly for those pieces, then its doubtless a matched package. Go here – http://www.houseofstaunton.com/house-of-staunton-chess-boxes.html – to see a selection of HoS coffers designed to keep pieces from rubbing and bumping against one another when stored.

It wouldn't surprise me to eventually conclude that it's a one-off. Hobbyists produce countless personalized chess sets and have done so for centuries. After all, the game dates back to the 6th century. The only older living board game is backgammon, which goes back to the 2nd century. There are remote tribes that carve a special set fresh for every chess game! Possibly the broadest division of the chess world is that of collectors versus players. I'm sure that all collectors are also players but the reverse is definitely not the case. FIDE (the World Chess Federation) has over 180 member nations, all of whom subscribe to the specifications of Staunton-style set design. The common chess pieces were designed by Nathaniel Cooke who registered his patent 1 March 1849. His designs (now familiar to the entire world) were inspired by the Parthenon Frieze in the Elgin Marbles, and were considered a highly modernistic design solution to a serious problem in international play. Each country had at least one (and sometimes several) popular chess set designs. Players from one country would often find sets from another country confusing. Much rancor resulted as players argued over which set would be used. By standardizing one pattern for the entire global playing community, all the confusion was obviated.

Your beautiful set would be admired but not allowed in any tournament, as it definitely falls into the category of a collector set. I've attached a JPEG of one side of my Austin Cox set, designed by him for Alcoa in the 60s. My AC set was discovered a few years ago by friends poking around in a yard sale who thought of me when they were told the boxes contained chess pieces. They paid $5 for it! It's the only collector set I own. These AC sets auction between $500 and $600 dollars. Your set seems to my sensibilities to be overall a much more pleasing rendering in the modern art sculpture genre. That said, I really haven't a clue as to how to value it.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

By the way, you can check out the good company you're in by going to Google Image here – http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en – and enter the search phrase modern art chess set. You'll get a slightly different selection if you enter the search phrase aluminum chess set.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Again, thank you so much for all of the good and interesting information. I really appreciate it.

I never knew that there were such beautiful chess sets available! They are truly works of art.

Congratulations on that amazing garage sale find. I definitely would have paid $4.00 for it(:

I will most likely list the set but, I'm still not sure of the pricing. I also hope to get some response since it's doesn't seem to be a branded piece.

Best regards,

Carrie

Message 6 of 6
latest reply