cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refused to sell after auction

What to do if seller refunds my payment instead of the item won in auction because they didnt get what they wanted
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

This happened to me, years ago, when I was new to ebay. I remember thinking at the time, well what's the point? I came to ebay looking for a bargain, did what I thought I was meant to do, and now I can't get what I bought? It wasn't a great introduction to ebay.

Now, years later, as a seller, it would never occur to me to refuse to sell an item just because it didn't achieve the price I was hoping for. When that happens (and it does!) I figure it was basically my error. I should have started bids at a price that was closer to whatever I needed to, at minimum, to come out of it financially okay. It's tempting, sometimes, particularly if it's a 'one-off' item, to start really low in the hope of attracting more bidders. And sometimes it works, but if it doesn't, then the seller chose to assume the risk and has to accept the consequences.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that I've answered the question! No doubt someone who knows the rules better than me will give you a more definitive answer. The seller (imho) definitely deserves a 'ding' on his/her record from ebay, but if it's a casual seller, even that probably wouldn't have much impact. Regardless, I'd definitely give ebay a call. In practical terms, though, I think you're just going to have to suck this one up, which is a pity. You can't 'make' someone sell you something. I'm sorry that you had to experience it, though. It's not what ebay is all about, and decent sellers would never have considered reneging on what is essentially a contract to sell.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@gtgeiger504 wrote:
What to do if seller refunds my payment instead of the item won in auction because they didnt get what they wanted

I am sorry this happened to you. It sounds like a newbie issue. I know eBay likes bidding, but for sellers, there are no guarantees that a low starting bid does not become the only bid and the sale price. I can relate to that pain of a losing business experience. So, although I empathize with the seller, I also feel the disappointment you, as the buyer experienced.

I have been on both sides of the issue. As a seller, setting bids low only to see my products sold at a loss, and as a buyer, buying and not receiving what I ordered. Thankfully, my money and yours was refunded. Still, it was something I really wanted and paid the price they asked. 

As as you can imagine, a seller selling at a loss can not stay in business for long. I thought of my experiences as a learning curve, and not a long one. It took a couple to readjust my strategies. Still, I sold, packaged my products just like I do for the products that earned a profit. I thanked the buyer for their business and invited them to buy again. I made an agreement to sell. I sold, and delivered a quality product and service. 

I don't think I'm unique. I think we all learn lessons here and some find the ones that work. Others leave.

eBay asks sellers to refund within 10 days if they are not going to ship. At least, the seller did that. I don't know of other options you have other than feedback and never buying from them again. If anyone else knows of something, I would like to hear, but personally, I would let this experience go and move on. I would not want to spend another unproductive moment (for me) thinking about it, or the seller. 

I hope you find what you are looking for in the near future and the experience is a positive one. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Very well said! 

Btw, thepearlyqueen, I checked out your products. I really think you have a gift in choosing, product styling and photographing your products. Great job! 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@thepearlyqueen wrote:

This happened to me, years ago, when I was new to ebay. I remember thinking at the time, well what's the point? I came to ebay looking for a bargain, did what I thought I was meant to do, and now I can't get what I bought? It wasn't a great introduction to ebay.

Now, years later, as a seller, it would never occur to me to refuse to sell an item just because it didn't achieve the price I was hoping for. When that happens (and it does!) I figure it was basically my error. I should have started bids at a price that was closer to whatever I needed to, at minimum, to come out of it financially okay. It's tempting, sometimes, particularly if it's a 'one-off' item, to start really low in the hope of attracting more bidders. And sometimes it works, but if it doesn't, then the seller chose to assume the risk and has to accept the consequences.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that I've answered the question! No doubt someone who knows the rules better than me will give you a more definitive answer. The seller (imho) definitely deserves a 'ding' on his/her record from ebay, but if it's a casual seller, even that probably wouldn't have much impact. Regardless, I'd definitely give ebay a call. In practical terms, though, I think you're just going to have to suck this one up, which is a pity. You can't 'make' someone sell you something. I'm sorry that you had to experience it, though. It's not what ebay is all about, and decent sellers would never have considered reneging on what is essentially a contract to sell.

Very well said!

Btw, thepearlyqueen, I checked out your products. I really think you have a gift in choosing, product styling and photographing your products. Great job! 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply