cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Policy

My wife and I have been doing our ebay store for several years now and sometimes, we receive something about item being defective and for the most part, we have not asked for item back in spite of listing stating Buyer will pay for return shipping.

A week ago I sent an incorrect memory card to a buyer and they notified me and it was true.  I said to the buyer that I would send the correct one immediately and inside of the envelope I put another envelope with postage and addressed to me in return.  The applicant today stated that the other item was sent back to me and I will have to trust individual on that one.  Today I received word that item did not work for another item that we sold to buyer for a lot of money.  The applicant had paid for part of the shipping and we paid the remainder.  Due to the size of the box and I did not want to receive negative feedback, I just put their money back to buyer and left item where I had sent it.  There was some items that were brand new but if I wanted the buyer to send it all back, they would have paid more than what we sold it for and so I did not think buyer would do that.

I need to change my policy about how I handle these situations though.  My Dad, who has sold a lot of items on eBay in the past did enforce the practice of asking person to send back the items.  He did other practices of marking invisible ink on items sold and looking at items under black light to see if they are his items.  I have not gone that far in my listings but he has used that in order to verify that items are the original items tthat he did sell.

I think for future items that people claim are defective, I need to ask the people to send them back.  I need to change my policy of how I handle returns or else I will run out of money.  When we first started selling items, we had spider earrings and people claimed that items were broken when they received them.  I just refunded their money, when the first 6 of them stated that the price for shipping was greater than the price, I had originally charged.  I think part of that is due to my store receiving the USPS Discount and the average buyer is not a premium Top Rated Seller, like I have been for a long time.

I am afraid of receiving negative comment or feedback.  My dad did say that if I ask the person to return the item and that I will refund their money, once I receive the item, then that should not be the instance to allow them to give feedback that is negative.  Recently I did lose my top rated status, due to defect counts and sales I had to cancel, due to not being able to find a few items and so that makes me more afraid of receiving negative feedback.  I value the keeping positive greatly because I want to save the money that the top rated status gives you on premium store charges from eBay.  I do want to save the 20% for the top rated status and if I upset one person, I am afraid of losing that $20 sue to the $4 sale that I had to hold my ground on.

I worry alot and sometimes, that controls me.  I will close for now.  I put this up because I want to hear feedback.  I will not be upset if you target me.  I will have to learn well so that I will do what is best.  What have you all done with returns and stuff like that with some of your customers in the past.  Take care.

CEO EBay Store: Little_Useful_Delights

I operate this store primarily in the evenings and I am always looking and looking for very useful sales, discounts and Bargains.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Return Policy

Hi everyone,

This topic has been locked at the request of the OP.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Varia
Community Moderator
Message 2 of 2
latest reply