cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I access a thread I have replied to that still sends me emails of replies to mine?

Earlier this evening I replied to a thread positively in favor of the OP.  Since then, I have received three emails notifying me of subsequent replies to mine. Each email links to the thread and all three links open an error message page that says:

Access Denied

Why can't I view this now? I was able to view it earlier when I wanted to.

I also did a manual search for the thread using words from it's title, in multiple ways but always in the same word order within the title. The thread will not show up in the search results, and scrolling through the proper board that the thread is from also does not show the thread is there. If I keep getting emails telling me that replies have been made to it, then it is still there!  I never was able to see any of the replies because of this error page. My reply was not in violation of eBay community policies in any way either, and I only agreed with the OP.

The title of the thread that I no longer can access is: 

When will eBay stop sellers listing BROKEN IPHONES AS NEW/USED?

Can someone help me understand? Otherwise my lack of faith in eBay leads me to believe they bully us by blocking us from being heard when we disagree with them or their tactics, and block us from the threads we agree with. That sounds outlandish, I know, but I have witnessed so much unfair treatment of both small-scale buyers and small-scale sellers for the past six years that it's not that far-fetched at all. Silencing the opposition is the number one tactic in our society and world in this day and age, and if it is happening in this forum community, I would like to know.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why can't I access a thread I have replied to that still sends me emails of replies to mine?

Probably the thread was closed by a moderator after those replies  were posted.  The emails about the replies could have been delayed. Closed threads still exist somewhere in a limbo that only the staff of Lithium and eBay can read.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. There was nothing in the thread that was a violation in any way. Without a reason being given by the moderators, it appears to be unfair information control. They could very well remove/block individual posts if any after mine were inappropriate. But the entire thread? I read all posts before mine and there would be no reason to remove it. 

I guess that means this community silences anyone they feel is a risk to bad press, and now I am left to not trust it at all. Nobody wants to collaborate in an environment that is controlled in such a biased way.  I wonder how many good members the moderators lose doing things like this. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

“I guess that means this community silences anyone they feel is a risk to bad press”

You apparently haven’t done much reading here. Your statement is patently false.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

When the original post in a thread is removed, then the whole thread disappears.  I didn't read that one, but if it included information about specific sellers or listings then it would be a violation of board policy, as explained in the board guidelines.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@teacrumpets

It's baaack!  But this time the mod just took outall references to specific sellers or listings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/When-will-eBay-stop-sellers-listing-BROKEN-IPHONES-AS-N...

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It's back with only 2 posts. There were several replies before mine, and even mine isn't there anymore. I did not reference any specific sellers or auctions, and no other info was in violation of policies. There weren't posts like that before mine either. That's a lot of posts to be deleted. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

It's back with only 2 posts total. There were a lot of replies before I posted mine. I had no reference to specific sellers, IDs, or auctions, and did not violate policy in any other way. None of the posts before mine did either. That's a lot of replies to be reflexively deleted, and it's not right. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I think the new post  is not the original post that was removed.  It has a start time that's about 12 hours after you started this thread.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Well isnt THAT interesting? Thank you for such a good eye on the details! I appreciate that.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@thatsallfolks  I know you feel I am wrong in my concerns about the community having a fair voice, and I have not been around for the past several years to gauge whether or not it is worse now than it was before. However, you can't blame anyone for being suspicious about moderator actions and decisions in this era we live in today of "just silence the opposition or publicly shame them, rather than have constructive debates." There was no logical reason for the entire thread to be deleted, or my reply to it. Without reasonableness, it only leaves purposefully controlling access to information. We all know if something happens to someone, it has already happened to hundreds of others too. Rarely do we experience something that no one else has. As far as you know, there have been thousands of relative and helpful threads deleted that weren't in violation of any policy whatsoever, and you just arent aware of it. If it happened this time, it most surely has happened before. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

“We all know if something happens to someone, it has already happened to hundreds of others too. ”

We know no such thing. You may assume that; you most certainly do not and cannot know it.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

LOL. I'm sorry but I disagree. I'm not so inflated with self-importance to ever assume that I'm the only person anything has happened to. I'm over a half century old and time is my proof that there are always others who have had the same experiences. There is nothing new under the sun. 

Your replies were not helpful to me at all, and are not constructive to the OP issue, but rather have only had the single purpose to hone in on anything to criticize me for. And I don't even know you!  That's not very respectful or friendly at all. I've never had a chance to be very active on this forum, and I can't say your replies are going to make me want to stick around. Maybe that's what you want? Do they pay you to passive-aggressively try to get rid of anyone who shares a complaint? Ignore any part of their concerns that are valid, give no understanding for their feelings, but instead find anything you can in their post to pick on them and try to make them look foolish? Wow.  You're a real peach of an example for what to expect in this community. 

From "Community Guidelines":

"As a Community, we are committed to creating a useful, respectful, and enjoyable destination for all members."  

And From "The Community and You":

Before you dive in, below are tips about joining the conversation...

*Be respectful of others.
*Stay on topic and keep conversations flowing.
*Be collaborative by sharing your ideas and best practices.

From Rules of the Road:

*Be respectful
*Keep conversation constructive
*Stay on topic

Basically, if you have nothing helpful to add, and can't be kind, then move on and read another thread instead of replying rudely or sarcastically. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply