cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I save a search, eBay puts a '+' between each item. When I click 'View Items" - no results

Extremely frustrating.  Does the same thing on Firefox, Chrome, and Chrome on my Android phone.

I type in my search items, and do the search.  Then, I save the search.  However, when I go to My Searches I see that eBay has put plus signs (+) between each word.  When I click View Items, no results appear.

Searches I made in the past are unchanged, and work just fine.  I haven't tried to save a search in a few months.

I've tried all kinds of things, but nothing works.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

When I save a search, eBay puts a '+' between each item. When I click 'View Items" - no results

Same problem here.  Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Same.

If I type or paste my search terms, it can do the search and give me the results no problem. When I save the search though and go back to it, it adds the + signs and tells me "Your query matches a large number of items. Please try searching within one of our categories." and gives me no results.

When I try the saved search on the app, it gives me the alert "Error Type: 243009"  and no results. There's no reference to this error anywhere, until now I guess.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

I'm having the same issue as well !   Hope it gets resolved quickly.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Same.

It started about a week ago.

Frustrating.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for the info.  Same problems.

Should be fixed soon?  Has eBay acknowledged that there is a problem?

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

I just tried it again and it's still messing up.

A temporary workaround is to enter the search terms (I use very long and detailed searches) then bookmark the results in your browser. This doesn't work for the app of course or if you want alerts.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Adding my complaint to extend the list. This needs to be fixed. - Chris

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Yes, same problem here.  Get ZERO results to the search as written with the danged "+" additions.

Have to manually remove all of the +s and then re-search to get results.  Who the heck writes this code and doesn't check it before deploying it? 

Will stop me from using search for buying until fixed.  Too frustrating.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Too late to edit the above, but I'm using Firefox version 59.0.
I'm assuming that the non-functioning code which adds the +s to the search text results in concatenating all of the search words into one large "word" for search purposes making getting any search "hits" impossible.
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Doesn't solve anything, but I just wanted to point out that the plus concatenated format is the form eBay (and some other) searches use for the keyword strings in search URLs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=foo+bar+fo+fum&_sacat=0

It looks like somebody dropped a few bits into the round file and the routines that reformat the URL format to visually present the search terms to you (strip the + concatenators) and maybe for storage, and/or the routines that reverse the process to construct a URL from the stored search terms to send to the search engine.

The flow may not be exactly as descibed above, but that's the general idea.

Basically, a keyword formatting routine is broken or not getting called.
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND.

If you create the search in the eBay app and "follow" it, it doesn't add the + signs and will work as a saved search from your account on the main site. As long as you don't edit the search in the browser, it should stay working. No guarantee but it worked for me.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Same problem and it is driving me to distraction!
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Saving a search using the EBAY app worked for me. I went back to my saved searches on my laptop and it didn't have the "+" between the words. The search worked fine. I didn't get zero results.
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I just called this in - the support person was not aware of this issue and for some reason couldn't find this thread.  She said she reported it to engineering, we will see how long it takes to get resolved.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply