cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening to my UPC codes?

I have been selling for sometime on eBay. In the last few days my UPC codes have been disappearing at random. We list boots with tons of variations. Each boot size has its own UPC. Lately eBay began removing my listings because the UPC was missing. What!! we have entered each UPC by hand. This kills our sales and the ability to update inventory by UPC code. Also you end up selling items that are not in stock. I  have called eBay but they refuse to let you talk to technical support. And customer support has absolutely no clue what you are talking about. 

Wits end!!!

Bubba

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

This has been going on for us for some time now. It's frustrating as heck. It definitely makes us want to have our own inventory/listing system and only import it into eBay, rather than using eBay as our primary listing source. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I too feel the pain. I enter codes and often the system will not accept it. It must be broken - so, alan@ebaybrian@ebay, @Anonymous, @Anonymous ....

PLEASE add this issue to the ever growing problem list. If eBay is going to require it, then eBay needs to make it function = pronto (or remove the requirement, please). Thanks.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all - This is something that was reported to our tech team and it seems they have since resolved the issue. If any of your items were ended incorrectly, you would need to relist them with the appropriate product identifier. If it happens again after this point, definitely let us know and we can get it reported as a new instance. 

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Oh its' still happening. Just added variations to a new product. Jumped through the necessary hoops. Go back 5 minutes later and the UPC numbers are leaving! I am on eBay Tech work ticket 1-105768823800 and I was assured they would notify me when it was fixed. HAHA ! This happens under variations not single listings. I started putting in the "Does not apply" option so I could get my listing to save. Update my in stock inventory via file exchange, as I have been doing for many months. Go back to the listing and it slowly starts removing UPCs' or the "Does not apply".

Pitiful! Really hurts business.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

By relist do mean end listing and then relist the item? Or do you want us to list everything as a brand new item? The thoughts of starting from scratch on 9000 variations is unthinkable.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sirbubbas wrote:

By relist do mean end listing and then relist the item? Or do you want us to list everything as a brand new item? The thoughts of starting from scratch on 9000 variations is unthinkable.

You wouldn't have to start from scratch and a simple relist should do. You would have to enter the UPC/product identifier information again if it had been removed. Apologies for any trouble and please let me know if the problem persists. 

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Hello Heidi

The site is still playing the UPC tricks. Listed a item just a few moments ago. Put in UPC codes, all 59 of them for the variations. Listed the item yea! Went back to revise the item and it wouldn't let me complete it because the upc were  missing. Just changed it to "does not apply". So it is not fixed by any means. This has been going on a month. What gives!

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Hello Heidi --

I am constantly having this issue when I go in to revise my listings.  It seems to happen to items that are at a zero quantity.   As I revise the variations or quantities in the listings, those particular variations now have no UPC/SKU, no price & no quantity.  The only thing I can do is delete the variation.  This has been happening for quite some time and I have not seen any improvement.  I see other technical issues which are supposedly reported to the technical team and are never resolved.  No one ever gets back to me as I am promised.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

We maintain inventory via file exchange. We had to alter our program to use the sku to identify the product (instead of UPC codes). We use the sku field to make changes to the quantity in the amount field. So far our sku's are holding. We are unable to revise anything to do with the product without re-entering the ups codes or using the famous "does not apply". eBay has already cost me lost business with this foul up. This has been going on for months. Bet the big "hitters" on eBay aren't having this experience. What say you?
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I can confirm that this problem is still happening. It's been ongoing, but it's now an issue since my listings are being removed. It seems the UPC's are wiped out after updating inventory via File Exchange. If anyone has any insight on how to fix this, please let me know. 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@healthteacher wrote:

I can confirm that this problem is still happening. It's been ongoing, but it's now an issue since my listings are being removed. It seems the UPC's are wiped out after updating inventory via File Exchange. If anyone has any insight on how to fix this, please let me know. 

Hi @healthteacher - This is something our Advanced Apps teams has reported to our tech department. They're reviewing the issue now to determine what's causing it and how to resolve it moving forward. I'll add your user ID to the open report as well so they know you're being impacted. 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

I have over 900 listings with 35K variation in them. There is no way I will manually update all of this. And when I re-list the items, all sales history is gone. This is a big issue and a big advantage for other online ecommerce websites. I have called 6 times to ebay and each time they submitted tech report but no response back since the February. Ebay - fix it, or remove UPC requirements.  You are forcing your potential money makers to leave and not look back. There are tons of options around and they don't have that issue at all. You used to have excellent developers. What happened to them? Did they quit or did you outsource you IT department to somewhere else? Bad, really bad.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

eBay keeps telling me they have sent it "upstairs" to engineering. Admitted it was a known issue. Will not message me when repaired, said "they do not do that". Maybe if this issue affects the large China seller along with us mom and pop shops, it will be repaired.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I updated inventory today and my UPC's did not get wiped out. I did have a ton of 'failure' Status on FileExchange Response though. So now File exchange is telling me some products are missing UPC's when they actually aren't. This results in a failure and the inventory not getting updated. I can't add a UPC if it's already there, which means to update inventory on these products I have to do it manually one by one. 

The steps I took:

So before the inventory update I had 29 products missing UPC in My ebay 'Growth' section. Upload inventory file and the FileExchange results came back with about 79 failures due to a missing UPC. OK... At this point I'm so over re-adding these UPC's I decide to instead delete these 29 products and try to re-upload the inventory form to see what happens. So to be clear My ebay 'Growth' is now at 0 for missing UPC's. Re-upload inventory file and this time The FileExchange response returns with 69 Failures due to a missing UPC. If I check the products they have UPC's so there's nothing that can be added. 

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I can't manage inventory like this and my listings have been getting removed for missing UPC's on top of it. Will that keep happening now, who knows. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply