cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website slow to use

I have a relatively capable computer running Firefox 58. Ebay has some of the slowest loading pages of any website that I frequently use. This is really kind of disappointing because there is such a big market place for buyers and sellers of just about everything. In particular the pages in MyEbay are difficult to use. Last week I wanted to look at my purchase history (about 100 items) over the past two months. It took me more than an hour just to open and print to file all the "Item details" for each purchase entry. That is ridiculous. Just make a list and better yet make it exportable to CSV. Between having to wade through several layers of menus to access basic functions and pages that routinely choke on javascript using my ebay is really frustrating. Basic tasks take much longer than they should because the user is continually loading and reloading pages. Less javascript and more static content may be desirable.

Also, the shopping experience is frustrating because of the slow search engine configuration pannel response. The search engine itself is relatively quick (by eBay standards) but if you want to filter your results by parameters like "US Only" or "Lowest Price First" be prepared to wait 30 seconds for the page to reload.

Studies have shown that a major way for e-commerce platforms to loose potential buyers is to have a slow / cumbersome shopping interface. How would shopping at Macy's be like if their racks were really high and the customer had to climbe a ladder to examine merchandise at the top of each rack?

Despite the slow speed in recent years / over the past year that I have been using eBay frequently the search engine seems to have greatly improved in terms of returning relevant results, at least in the categories I am interested. This is very good. It is nice for a shopper to be able to find directly what they are looking for through search...even if they have have to wait a while for the page to load.

It seems that often eBay text fields have to "phone home" as the user enters each letter. This seems to really slow things down and sometimes, may be, is responsible for a typing lag. It is really disconcerting when you type and nothing appears on the screen.

Please make the interface faster!

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Website slow to use

I use firefox and don't experience the same things.......  Lots of things can slow pages down, first thing I would do is clear cache and restart......that clears out old links that may be corrupted somehow.   Also using an adblocker can shut off that interference.  At one point, we had our internet provider check our line as was fast one hour and slow the next......  They found several problems that, when fixed, smoothed out our acess....... 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

Here is a post I make occasionally for issues like yours. Sometimes it helps an eBay user. You might want to try some or all of what I am posting. Perhaps you have. If you still have issues, please post back with more details on your computer like Windows Version, browser make and version, using a desktop computer or laptop or mobile device like an tablet or smartphone, or any other details that might be relevant so that others can try to help.

To minimize issues with ebay and any on the fly code changes, clear your browser cache and cookies each day or after each browser session. Old code may be in the browser cache and not cleared with the new code so ebay may not work properly because of this.

Clean your browser cache and cookies using CTRL SHIFT DELETE? Make sure you are logged out of eBay and any site and follow the popup box to clean your browser.

Warning: Clearing cookies might lose cookies for some sites that are used to store preferences for that site. I do not care since nothing is critical and prefer to not have any cookies left on my computer so I have my browsers set to remove cookies and cache upon exit from my browser session.

Do you have another browser installed? I find it is best to have another browser installed to see if a recent browser or eBay update makes my browser not work properly. I use FireFox browser as my main browser (FF works well for the past 5 years) with Google Chrome and Opera browsers as backup.

Also, I find these tools handy to clean up my Windows computer on a regular basis.

I would suggest getting free CCleaner and set to run on startup to clean your computer. Install the free version. Make sure to set it to clean all files including those within the past 24 hours (an option to set).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Install free AdBlockPlus to block most ads in your browser. I have used it for years and many eBay members too. It works for eBay and other web sites. This tool speeds up working on eBay a lot without all the moving ads.

www.adblockplus.org

I would also suggest installing free malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware. This program is for malware only and catches many things that virus programs do not. Run once a month or so to check your computer. Install the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

I have had all three installed for years as well as a internet suite for anti-virus and have had minimal issues. I still managed to get a virus in the past 10 years a couple of times (from Photobucket through their banner ads that ran Adobe Flash, I disable flash now and only turn on when I want for a site. You may want to disable Adobe Flash as well and enable only when needed). Adobe Flash is not recommended to use any more by many browsers (Google, FireFox) as it is so prone for malicious software hidden in it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

It works fine for me. on pc using Firefox latest version.

Don't bother with adblock plus, Use UBlock Origin. Adblock plus lets ad companies buy their way onto it's whitelist so you still see thier ads.

Other than that, do what poco says.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

It don't use Windows. I am pretty sure that I don't have any malware. I think clearing the cache / cookies is an interesting idea.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

@zirkni wrote:

It don't use Windows. I am pretty sure that I don't have any malware. I think clearing the cache / cookies is an interesting idea.

What operating system do you use? Mac?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

Facepalm... Clearing your browser cache when in fact their servers just suck ass. I hate reading such uneducated advice by people who know nothing about IT.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

eBay is streaming too many ads, dynamic ads and affiliate/sponsored links and the updates and patches seem to hinder performance, not help.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Website slow to use

Totally agree. Saw another post with people recommending you defrag your disk and install a Norton utility haha. It's a Web site, you should not need to do any of this to access a site. eBay needs to improve its infrastructure ASAP.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply