cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus threat message

When I sign into eBay, I receive the following message:

We’ve safely aborted connection on www.ebay.com because it was infected with

JS:Redirector-BMU [Trj].

Clearing cookies does not solve the issue.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Virus threat message

theslimer3
Adventurer

Yeah, I'm having that issue too. It happens whenever I try to log in on any browser

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Me Too!!

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Same here. I cleared cookies, ran virus scan, and antimalware. None of it worked. It's either a real problem with the site or my securtity program (avast) is throwing false positives. It would be great if someone from ebay could tell which it is.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

>>It would be great if someone from ebay could tell which it is.

Would be the easiest thing, but that isn't going to happen.

Avast again. King of false positives.

Find out if the others are using Avast, and draw your own conclusions from that data:
Avast has a history of false positives, especially with heuristic trojan redirector detections
Possibly only Avast users have the issue.
If so, likely as soon as Avast pushes out another update the problem will go away.

Check supposedly "infested" eBay pages out using online antivirus/malware meta engines like VirusTotal.com, Hybrid-Analysis.com, etc where multiple engines look at the page and render judgement.

Look through these threads:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Website-blocked-by-Malwarebytes/m-p/29010894#M49325
https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=authorId&q=avast&sort_by=-topicPo...
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>It would be great if someone from ebay could tell which it is.

Would be the easiest thing, but that isn't going to happen.

Avast again. King of false positives.

Find out if the others are using Avast, and draw your own conclusions from that data:
Avast has a history of false positives, especially with heuristic trojan redirector detections
Possibly only Avast users have the issue.
If so, likely as soon as Avast pushes out another update the problem will go away.

Check supposedly "infested" eBay pages out using online antivirus/malware meta engines like VirusTotal.com, Hybrid-Analysis.com, etc where multiple engines look at the page and render judgement.

Look through these threads:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Website-blocked-by-Malwarebytes/m-p/29010894#M49325
https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=authorId&q=avast&sort_by=-topicPo...

Yes it is back again. It has to be a false positive. I had this happen last year around this time and it was on both my computers (home and work) both using AVG/Avast.

This time it is only showing up on the home computer which has AVG/Avast, my work computer has no redirect probably since I am no longer using AVG/Avast on it.

Seems to me it is an AVG/Avast problem.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Hello,

I'm new here been using Firefox for a number of years. I have a computer with Windows 7 using Firefox Quantum 63.0.3 (64-bit). I use free home version of Avast.

This happens only at ebay.com when I click on the 'login' from the main site (www.ebay.com) Avast sometimes comes up with the message 'Threat secured We safely aborted connection to www.ebay.com because it was infected.

However i can indeed signin and use ebay normally.

I've tried everything including a complete restore of my computer. I tried another new computer and it gives same message on firefox with Avast.

Do you think this is a false positive with Avast?

I called Ebay support they said to stop using Firefox! I want to continue using Firefox so please someone with knowledge or experience with this please respond. I did a lot of research on this and it appears people who use Avast or AVG seem to have had the same problems with ebay over the years with this JS: redirect in one variation or another.

I've attached a pic of the Avast message when I get when I login to ebay.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Hello Everyone:

I'm replying to my own post because I took the url listed by Avast (https://www.ebay.com/rdr/js/s/rrbundle.flat.min.js) and put it into VirusTotal.com and the attached response is what I got.

...does that mean it is something only peculiar to Avast and AVG as those 2 are not listed as scanning this but no negative results from the 70 or so other scan engines?

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Hello Everyone:

I'm replying to my own post because I took the url listed by Avast (https://www.ebay.com/rdr/js/s/rrbundle.flat.min.js) and put it into VirusTotal.com and the attached response is what I got.

...does that mean it is something only peculiar to Avast and AVG as those 2 are not listed as scanning this but no negative results from the 70 or so other scan engines?

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

@leftovers4me wrote:

I called Ebay support they said to stop using Firefox!

I also use Firefox, have been using it for years, it worked fine on the eBay site until today, so them telling you to use a different browser is not a solution, it's just a work around, a "don't bother us" answer?

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

I am using the same windows 7 version as you on my home computer with the free version of Avast and using firefox Quantum 63.0.3 (64-bit).

I can get on eBay after the the Avast threat message same as you.  The same thing happened to me last year and for some reason it went away.

Based on previous discussions on these boards and running other virus software I believe it to be a false positive. It does not happen on my work computer running firefox Quantum 63.0.3 with windows 7, BUT....I do not have AVG/Avast on that computer and I do not get the message.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Fortunately I have AVG, the paid subscription of an anti-virus program.  Mine says,

"We've safely aborted connection on www.ebay.com because it was infected

with JS:Redirector-BMU[Trj].    

Seems to me eBay should be tracking this down and handle it on their end.

They don't have any problem having their programmers constantly changing the my eBay pages, including selling ad nauseum.

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

I use Windows 10 and Chrome.     

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

Hello:

I called ebay customer support again and told them of this thread on their community forum.  They said anyone that wants to write to them should click on 'Summary' on their account page and to the right 'Tell us what you think'.  You will be limited to 500 words but I think we should all send them a message and at least let their tech support check out if they do have an infection.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

Virus threat message

@monkeyboy1-5 wrote:

@leftovers4me wrote:

I called Ebay support they said to stop using Firefox!

I also use Firefox, have been using it for years, it worked fine on the eBay site until today, so them telling you to use a different browser is not a solution, it's just a work around, a "don't bother us" answer?

Yes sounds like it but I called back ...see my reply to dollzone.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply