cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacation setting does not update handling time = shipping defect :(

I used the vacation setting recently, yet still received a shipping defect because I did not ship the item within my two-day handling time. Who knew that you also have to change your handling time to ensure you do not get a shipping defect? I certainly didn't. The girl said that I am not the first person to have this issue. I briefly searched the discussion board and found the same issue from 2015. I quit looking after I saw that. I think the vacation setting needs to include this tidbit of information, so sellers understand that vacation mode does not mean anything unless you also change the handling time. I thought that the vacation setting was my "one stop shop" to tell buyers that I was on vacation. None of the buyers were upset that I shipped the items the day after I returned. Somehow eBay still hands out shipping defects for being on vacation and using the vacation setting option that they set up. Sounds like a technical problem that could easily be fixed. For sellers who want to do the right thing, and think they are doing the right thing, it certainly could be fixed with adding a statement on the vacation setting screen that "you still need to update your handling time to avoid shipping defects..." Who would think that vacation mode would not take care of this? It is like setting up your work email to "out of office" yet still being responsible for emails because you did not turn your computer off in your office. A silly technicality that seems too silly to be true.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mrbeatty

Yes vacation settings still allows for purchases unless you hide fixed price & cancel all auctions ( Which I do)

If you want to keep items up for sale you do have to extend handling times.
It's not very clear in the ebay help pages & many sellers do the exact same thing that you just did.
Sorry it happened to you

They don't really say to extend handling, seems they prefer us to hide them 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/placing-store-vacation.html

Making your fixed price listings unavailable

What it does: This option hides all of your fixed price listings so buyers don't see them in your eBay Store, in search results, in cross-promotions (where other items are promoted in your listing), or on any other eBay pages. Using this option prevents buyers from buying items and waiting longer than expected to receive them from you. This feature also lowers your risk of receiving negative Feedback and transaction defects for items not received, and reduces late shipments by providing more accurate shipping & handling expectations.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@mrbeatty

Yes vacation settings still allows for purchases unless you hide fixed price & cancel all auctions ( Which I do)

If you want to keep items up for sale you do have to extend handling times.
It's not very clear in the ebay help pages & many sellers do the exact same thing that you just did.
Sorry it happened to you

They don't really say to extend handling, seems they prefer us to hide them 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/placing-store-vacation.html

Making your fixed price listings unavailable

What it does: This option hides all of your fixed price listings so buyers don't see them in your eBay Store, in search results, in cross-promotions (where other items are promoted in your listing), or on any other eBay pages. Using this option prevents buyers from buying items and waiting longer than expected to receive them from you. This feature also lowers your risk of receiving negative Feedback and transaction defects for items not received, and reduces late shipments by providing more accurate shipping & handling expectations.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It is exactly as @labs118 says.  But there is also the matter of Best Offers.  Even if you hide your listings, if a potential buyer has your items save to their Watchlist, they can still send you a Best Offer while you are away.  Happened to me; I was quite surprised since I'd done all I was supposed to do--fortunately I got back before time expired on the Offer.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@Anonymous

Weren't you going to look into making the vacation explanation more clear to sellers? 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

brian_burke@ebay should be notified, too.  

There are posts about this issue EVERY DAY, with Store sellers being penalized despite their best efforts to comply with ebay procedures, due to eBay not updating the basic Help page about vacation settings.

Vacation settings and the Help page about them date back to a time before shipping time was used to evaluate seller status.  So it's time for eBay to either (1) do as many sellers assume, and adjust the listings' handling time to reflect the sellers' return date; or (2) at least update the Help page to explain that handling time is NOT affected by the basic vacation setting.  The basic vacation setting is nothing more than an "Away" message.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Same here, I was dumfounded when they told me that --and really really angry!
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Now I'm angry all over again, it has always felt like a deliberate way to take us down a peg.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Spoiler
What is the point of vacation settings ,when I have to change shipping time ? It seems just change your shipping time  ,lose your top rated selling  ,wait three months to have reinstated ?  Sorry vacation  setting should just prevent all buying and vacation setting   should be on some list @ Ebay to prevent late shipping ding .Also it would have been nice of ebay to inform sellers that  this is happening . So top rated  only goes to sellers  selling 24 /7  365 days a year  .Not small business friendly at all. 
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

1-day handling is not required for TRS status, though it is required for getting the TRS-Plus badge on your listings and for getting the 10% final value fee credit.

But you can retain your TRS status with ANY handling  time that you choose. The basic TRS requirement is that you must upload tracking within your stated handling time.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

This just happened to me, I had my vacation settings on and i will I be penalized for not shipping the item within the time listed, and eBay is removing my Top Rated status, which took years to get to. Thanks a lot 😞

Message 10 of 10
latest reply