cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus signs between words in "Search"

When I enter sveral words in the Search Box Ebay's search engine has started inserting the plus sign (+) between the words (example:   beer+goblets+glasses).  With the plus sign between words it will not do a complete search so I have to manually delete the +'s.  It never used to do that and it just started a couple of days ago.  How do I get it to stop doing that? It's driving me crazy.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Not doing it on my PC desktop, are you on a mobile device?

Plus "+" signs only mean to include the word, so it shouldn't make a difference, but who know what this problem is.

Ebay search hasn't worked correctly in a long time, and is constantly changing to the point of frustration.

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

I'm also seeing this on a Windows desktop in Chrome and Firefox, and it has now broken some of my Saved Searches because I made the mistake of editing them just now.

I know that when you need a space in part of a URL, changing it to a plus sign is one way to "encode" it, but %20 is another way.  I see that they convert commas to %2C and parentheses to %28 and %29, but it seems they decided to be inconsistent and not use the "percent encoding" for spaces, so now they can't tell the difference between actual plus signs and plus signs that used to be spaces.

As if breaking the saved search emails wasn't bad enough, now they've stopped us from even saving searches.  Thanks, eBay.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

I'm having the exact same issue.  It seems to have started today!  Hopefully they fix it soon since i can't create any new searches that will actually work.

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

Same issue here:

(a,b) -c is changed to (a,+b)+-c on saving, rendering search useless. Its been happening to me on ebay.ca, firefox, two verions of explorer on two different computers, Windows & and 8.1.
Message 5 of 82
latest reply

*Correction* - Still broken today

Message 6 of 82
latest reply

Yep.  Add me to the list.  It's happening to me too.  And I just changed a bunch of my regular searches so now they're all corrupted too (not just new searches).  What a mess.  Nice to know as a seller that no one can even effectively search now!!!  That's sarcasm, eBay.

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

I edited a search in advanced and it listed the words to exclude as well as the words to include correctly. THEN, I limited the search to North America. I did the search. It worked correctly. I clicked on "Save" the search. THEN, after that, all my exclude words were moved to the INCLUDE section with plus signs. **bleep**?

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

I think this could be fixed, but only have enough time to redo one serach and post this.  Can anyone else confirm?

Message 9 of 82
latest reply

Arggh. Spoke too soon. I should have fixed all my searches when I had the chance. The one I fixed before is still okay, but I can't fix any more.
Message 10 of 82
latest reply

Yeah, both edit existing and save anew are still (or again) replacing spaces with plus signs.

Message 11 of 82
latest reply

Just for reference, here is the ebay.ca thread I originally started before a helpful user directed me to this one:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Ebay-erroneously-adding-quot-quot-character-to-searches/m...

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

I tried a couple of earches this morning......one showed 4 items, I then saved it and ran the saved search with the +signs in it....now there are 2, one in the search, one matching fewer words! I made another with 1800 items, saved it and got 23 of the original 1800. Ideleted the saved searchs and BOOKMARKED the searches in my browser. they return all of the correct previously found items EVERY time. I have been bookmarking all of my searches in the browser for the past several years since ebay destroyed the search engine usefulness several years ago. I am running 6 to 8 year old "bookmarked" searches every day without problems, but also like you, CANNOT save and run them. It will seem to always work as typed then as soon as saved, never wotk correctly again. BOOKMARK them instead ebay computer savvy is nothing to expect improvement in. I have 2 ebay saved searches from 2017 that still work since no edits have occured since I saved them.
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for letting us know @svsonsie! I've filed a ticket and included anyone on this thread who mentioned having this same issue.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 82
latest reply

I have been having the same issue for at least a week

I found that if you create a Saved Search on the mobile app it works OK (won't replace spaces with plus signs)

But if you do a saved search in Chrome on a desktop it will definetely replace the spaces in your search with +'s

This also leads to less results returning/potential to miss items!

Looking forward to a fix

Thank you

Message 15 of 82
latest reply