cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hig postage prices vs. keeping up my top seller rating

Suppose I sell a post card for $1.25.  Frugality dictates that I send it in a envelope with a 49¢ stamp on it.  If I do it this way, my seller rating goes down.  EBay would have me use their label and send it first class at 1 ounce.  That would cost me $2.61 but I wouldn't get penalized as far as my seller rating.  What should I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

are you talking about this selling id because you are not top rated on this account? and i see you are already listing postcards with low shipping cost. you still can be above standard rated with what you are doing. but you would have to make some changes to become top rated. many sellers have at least 2 selling ids. one for top rated and one for above standard. you can research the benifits of being top rated but i think you will find in general that it is more for imagined prestige than for any real tangible benefits now. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

are you talking about this selling id because you are not top rated on this account? and i see you are already listing postcards with low shipping cost. you still can be above standard rated with what you are doing. but you would have to make some changes to become top rated. many sellers have at least 2 selling ids. one for top rated and one for above standard. you can research the benifits of being top rated but i think you will find in general that it is more for imagined prestige than for any real tangible benefits now. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

For me, the only real advantage of being top rated is the commercial PLUS discount on shipping, but I understand ebay will/has taken away that discount, and everyone pays the commercial base discount.  I wouldn't know since I lost my top rated plus badge months ago due to being below the 3% shipping on time metric.  ebay tells me I'm on track to receive the badge this evaluation period since I am currently at 2.97%.  We'll see.  The 10% discount on FVF is minimal since I am a low volume seller.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ok. Stop selling postcards with that account.   OR get a new acct.  and sell the post cards with that acct . where the shipping status doesn't matter.   Or sell the cards in groups of 2- 4 or whatever and charge 2.61.  Actually, I would add something to the shipping since ebay charges fees...   Or do nothing and lose your discount.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

For me, the only real advantage of being top rated is the commercial PLUS discount on shipping, but I understand ebay will/has taken away that discount, and everyone pays the commercial base discount.....

What is the source of your information??  TRS are still paying Commercial Plus rates for Priority Mail, and I haven't seen anything about eBay discontinuing that.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I thought USPS was going to phase it out in the next few years?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Both Commercial Base and Commercial Plus show up in the domestic Priority Mail rates that go into effect in January 2018, so apparently they'll be around for at lesat another year.  Perhaps the plan to consolidate them  has been abandoned.

https://www.prc.gov/docs/102/102017/Notice%20CP2018-8.pdf

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I recall reading that in an eCommerceBytes column recently, but do not recall when it might happen.

Since I recently got back my TRS+ badge, I'm happy we still get the commercial plus discount.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 8
latest reply