cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix PROBLEMS!!!! Ongoing for months. Calculated Shipping - Discount, Promotional Offers Markdown

It is becoming very difficult to do business on eBay when you have so many technical problems and don't fix them.

Problem 1: 
Customers don't know an item is on sale when the item is shown on the search results page and the item is shown much lower down in search results when one sorts by price + shipping from lowest to highest, because the original / regular price is shown and not the sale price.

I have listed multiple items on sale using the Sale event + markdown manager. I currently have a 5% off applied to a set of items.  However, no one knows any item is on sale until they click on it! When on searches through all my items or the items comes up in a search result, as I said previously, you don't know it's on sale because no message whatsoever is displayed and the lower price is not shown!  Only after you click on it is when you see a message at the top of "Extra 5% Off" and then a link to the right of it with the words of "See all eligible items". This, first of all, is not clear that the item one is looking at is applicable for the 5% off. To know for sure, one has to look at the item's title or item number, click on the "See all eligible items" link and look for the item there and compare it with the item's title or the item number that shows up in the URL when one hovers over the item. Alternatively, one could add the item to one's shopping cart to see the discount. Why isn't the original price crossed out and the sale price shown along with a counter like I have seen in the past? Why does the potential customer have to do the math and or go through the steps I outlined above? A few months ago the discounted pricing won't show up in the search results also, which is why I would still use the old Markdown manager as it had that effect of letting customers know an item is on sale (a common sense thing to do). However, all it does now is direct one to the new markdown system.

When I spoke to a rep about this, she tells me this is the way it's supposed to be after doing research and then sends me an email telling me that eBay decides which offers gets shown in the search results pages. Here is some of the wording from that email: "eBay is testing the rollout of a new capability that displays certain seller promotions on the search result page. Items selected for display includes many factors including promotion quality, item value/price, and item relevance. To increase your chances for this additional exposure, please follow eBay promotion best practices of creating compelling promotional offers that include:

Compelling promotional discounts

Curated, and relevant items logically grouped together from a buyer's perspective at reasonable prices"

This sounds absurd to me. What's the point of having a sale if it's a secret sale?

Problem 2A:

Carrier-specific discounts passed on to buyers is not reflected on the search results pages, resulting in our items being shown lower down in the search results pages when one sorts by pricing from lowest to highest and also in confusion for the customers, as they see one price in the search results page and then another when they click on the listing.

I have been complaining about this for about 4 to 5 months now, and nothing has been done!

I have enabled the option of "Offer carrier-specific discounts to buyers" via Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences and clicking on the Edit link. On the page that comes up, titled " Shipping rate preferences", I have the second option enabled of "Offer cheaper online/discounted shipping rates for your listings checked, and then I have the "FedEx eBay discounted" option checked, which states below it "These rates are discounted rates available through eBay label flow". I have only passed on the discount for the FedEx rates as it seems to be the most accurate when I looked into this months ago, but I won't be surprised if this problem also exists for USPS and UPS.

As I said though, the discounted rate is not shown on the search results page. So, one would see $103.10 for shipping for an item on the search results page and if they happen to click on the item, they then see it's $52.47. If any eBay rep is actually looking at this, I am tired of explaining this simple procedure to verify what I am speaking about: On any item that doesn't offer free shipping and has no pending offer, 1. click on the Revise your item link, 2. Scroll down to the bottom until you reach the Shipping details section and click on the Calculate Shipping link, 3. Enter the same zip code you used previously when looking at the item and click on the FedEx tab and look at the "FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery" option below. You should see a price in green because the "eBay Rates' radio button above should have been checked by default. That's the same price you saw on the listing page. Now, click on the "In-store rates" option above and you will see a price in black font--that price is the one shown in the search results page.

This is the new SR number for this issue, which I had the rep create a new one because the reps mixed it up with a related issue, which I will mention further down for reference: 1-133724236087

Now, I know I can offer free shipping, but I prefer not to as there is extra time involved in researching shipping rates and determining how much the final price should be, but also, those customers nearer to our state would have to pay more for shipping because the item would have to be priced with the assumption it's always being shipped to the states farthest away from me in order not to lose money on sales from those states.

This is the previous SR number that I received on July 8th, which when I called back to check on it, the rep was describing the other related issue, which I will mention below: 1-120943045370

eBay --- PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Problem 2B: 

This related problem has been resolved, after months of it existing, upsetting customers and making us look bad! It was finally fixed about a month ago. However, I gave the rep the SR number just to see if the case had been marked solved or to see if any updates were applied, which unfortunately, none of them had occurred: 1-119023684277.

Here is what the problem was:

Whenever a Best Offer was accepted by either party (the buyer or the seller), the shipping amount shown to the buyer on the invoice would be the In-Store rate (the higher shipping amount). So, the customer would see $52 and change for the listing, make the offer expecting that to be the final shipping price, only to see almost double that price when the offer was accepted. We had to warn customers about this every time a counteroffer was being made, telling them please don't be alarmed at the higher shipping price, it's an eBay bug and we will send you a revised invoice if you accept the offer. At other times, we had to calm customers down who would think we were trying to pull a fast one on them. So, every time we accepted an offer, I would immediately have to send the customer a revised invoice with the shipping corrected to prevent them from sending me an angry email about this and to ensure they follow through on purchasing the item. When we would counter offer, I would have to be checking the orders page frequently to see if they accepted so I can send them that revised invoice as quickly as possible.

I am glad this is finally fixed, but it shouldn't have taken so long and there was never any communication about it.

I read all the time about sellers leaving eBay and going elsewhere and I am beginning to understand why.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Fix PROBLEMS!!!! Ongoing for months. Calculated Shipping - Discount, Promotional Offers Markdown

Problem 2A:

Carrier-specific discounts passed on to buyers is not reflected on the search results pages, resulting in our items being shown lower down in the search results pages when one sorts by pricing from lowest to highest and also in confusion for the customers, as they see one price in the search results page and then another when they click on the listing.

Has been an issue on and off for some sellers sometimes since at least Feb 2016 when I first noticed it for FedEx Smartpost shipping on one of mine. Haven't paid much attention to it since then other than in relation to looking at the issue when other sellers complain about it, but did have a couple a few weeks back.

See here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Search-results-show-inaccurate-amp-HIGH-calculated-sh...

I wasn't able to fix the 2 in question trying dcintennessee's procedure and after trying all sorts of other things. One sold and was no longer a problem, and I relisted the other one by doing a sell similar from another listing that DID NOT HAVE  ISSUES by doing a cut/paste of the description.

My point is that once something goes wrong with the displayed shipping amount for one of those listings it appears it stays broken somewhere deep inside eBay and can't be fixed. Relisting or doing a sell similar just continues the issue.

So, are all the listings you are having this issue with listings with FedEx shipping? Smartpost or ground? Are they GTC or listings you relist by doing relist or sell similar?

Have you tried redoing one of them from scratch (or near scratch from another similar listing without the problem) to see if the issue goes away?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Putting up an item from scratch does not help. This occurs with all my FedEx shipping options, because that's the first choice I have specified as the ship to method, and that's therefore the option eBay shows on the search results pages and on the listing, even if there is another cheaper option--a poor, logical implementation -- but in my case it's often the cheapest option, only because I am not passing on any UPS discounts.

So, in a few days it will be 3 months since I posted this. In about 4 to 5 months, it will be one year since I reported this, and still no resolution.  No update or anything from eBay.

My listings show lower in search results because a higher shipping price is shown . For example, $65 is shown as the shipping cost on the search results pages and when one clicks on the listing, they are then shown $37. If my item is priced at $162, and one is sorting by price plus shipping from lowest to highest, instead of my item being shown along with the other items below $200 ($162 + 37 = $199), it's shown lower down on the list because it's sorting it based on $227 ($162 + $65) price.

P.S. I now discovered that though I have Global shipping enabled and applied to all my listings, it's not working. The rep I spoke with couldn't give me any confirmation number for reporting the problem. She said she will let them know so that they can fix it. I don't have much faith in it, or anything for that matter, being fixed.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I can confirm the shipping cost discrepancy by looking at your list of items and then clicking into the listing.....which shows less.......

@Anonymous

can you give any help..........

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I see the discrepancies - item# 322832421494 shows $91.45 in the search results and $47.04 in the listing. Pretty big difference.

What are the weight and shipped dimensions of that item? Is it boxed, wrapped in plastic, or sent "raw"? Handling charge, insurance, any other addons? I'd like to see if I can nail it down to "passing on discount" or not with the actual numbers, and see if some other glitch might be working here.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I can confirm the shipping cost discrepancy by looking at your list of items and then clicking into the listing.....which shows less.......

@Anonymous

can you give any help..........

Hi @dhbookds, I've checked over some of the OP's listings and am not able to replicate this issue. @tiremaxintl, do you have any current promotions/sales active right now? If you can give me some examples I'm happy to get this investigated by the right teams!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Trinton this is what I'm seeing:

image.png

image.png

The $121 versus $67 in the listing

@Anonymous

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Hello. Based on the prices you gave I was able to determine that you are on the West Coast of the US. Please do see the image below which will show you the exact source of those numbers and hence, the problem.

eBay Shipping Problem.jpg

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I am immensely grateful to you for your help thus far in this.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I am referring to Problem 2A and not Problem 1. I haven't ran any sales in a while, as there is always a problem. The last time I had to edit the picture for each listing for the start of the sale and then at the end of it so that the public could see that an item is on sale. A lot of time and work due to things not working right, and it produced very little results in the end.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Your screenshot answers most of my questions, and yes, it's obvious from that that the listings are showing discounted rates, while the search results are showing full retail counter rates.

Not directly related to this issue, but unless you are boxing those tires, you would/should be incurring an Additional Handling Surcharge of $12 on your eBay invoice after the fact (because shrinkwrapped or not wrapped at all). eBay labels can't handle that scenario so it's an added surcharge when billed by FedEx. (If boxed and second side of box > 30" - such as for larger tires - you will also hit the surcharge, but eBay calc handles that scenario)

Is that the case, or are they 26"x26" and boxed in corrugated?
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

I am immensely grateful to you for your help thus far in this.

Thanks.

I'm hoping it actually gets you some help.....  I believe Trinton has seen the screen shots and perhaps he's contacted you.  At least he left a helpful on that post......

If you get no where with it here, the other avenue may be the the ebay for business blog or their facebook page......they answer complaints on both places I believe.  It's just a matter of finding the one person who will follow thru on the problems.......they do need to be able to replicate or see the problem as he indicates.    You can find the blog from the seller news link at the top of this page.

Please post when you get it straigtened out.....lol, that's the best thanks......

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Regarding all that you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph, I will simply say that I am fully aware of all that you mentioned.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Thank you for the additional info. Now let's see how many more months go by before this is fixed, if ever.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tiremaxintl wrote:

It is becoming very difficult to do business on eBay when you have so many technical problems and don't fix them.

Problem 1: 
Customers don't know an item is on sale when the item is shown on the search results page and the item is shown much lower down in search results when one sorts by price + shipping from lowest to highest, because the original / regular price is shown and not the sale price.

I have listed multiple items on sale using the Sale event + markdown manager. I currently have a 5% off applied to a set of items.  However, no one knows any item is on sale until they click on it! When on searches through all my items or the items comes up in a search result, as I said previously, you don't know it's on sale because no message whatsoever is displayed and the lower price is not shown!  Only after you click on it is when you see a message at the top of "Extra 5% Off" and then a link to the right of it with the words of "See all eligible items". This, first of all, is not clear that the item one is looking at is applicable for the 5% off. To know for sure, one has to look at the item's title or item number, click on the "See all eligible items" link and look for the item there and compare it with the item's title or the item number that shows up in the URL when one hovers over the item. Alternatively, one could add the item to one's shopping cart to see the discount. Why isn't the original price crossed out and the sale price shown along with a counter like I have seen in the past? Why does the potential customer have to do the math and or go through the steps I outlined above? A few months ago the discounted pricing won't show up in the search results also, which is why I would still use the old Markdown manager as it had that effect of letting customers know an item is on sale (a common sense thing to do). However, all it does now is direct one to the new markdown system.

When I spoke to a rep about this, she tells me this is the way it's supposed to be after doing research and then sends me an email telling me that eBay decides which offers gets shown in the search results pages. Here is some of the wording from that email: "eBay is testing the rollout of a new capability that displays certain seller promotions on the search result page. Items selected for display includes many factors including promotion quality, item value/price, and item relevance. To increase your chances for this additional exposure, please follow eBay promotion best practices of creating compelling promotional offers that include:

Compelling promotional discounts

Curated, and relevant items logically grouped together from a buyer's perspective at reasonable prices"

This sounds absurd to me. What's the point of having a sale if it's a secret sale?

Problem 2A:

I have been complaining about this for about 4 to 5 months now, and nothing has been done!

I have enabled the option of "Offer carrier-specific discounts to buyers" via Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences and clicking on the Edit link. On the page that comes up, titled " Shipping rate preferences", I have the second option enabled of "Offer cheaper online/discounted shipping rates for your listings checked, and then I have the "FedEx eBay discounted" option checked, which states below it "These rates are discounted rates available through eBay label flow". I have only passed on the discount for the FedEx rates as it seems to be the most accurate when I looked into this months ago, but I won't be surprised if this problem also exists for USPS and UPS.

As I said though, the discounted rate is not shown on the search results page. So, one would see $103.10 for shipping for an item on the search results page and if they happen to click on the item, they then see it's $52.47. If any eBay rep is actually looking at this, I am tired of explaining this simple procedure to verify what I am speaking about: On any item that doesn't offer free shipping and has no pending offer, 1. click on the Revise your item link, 2. Scroll down to the bottom until you reach the Shipping details section and click on the Calculate Shipping link, 3. Enter the same zip code you used previously when looking at the item and click on the FedEx tab and look at the "FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery" option below. You should see a price in green because the "eBay Rates' radio button above should have been checked by default. That's the same price you saw on the listing page. Now, click on the "In-store rates" option above and you will see a price in black font--that price is the one shown in the search results page.

This is the new SR number for this issue, which I had the rep create a new one because the reps mixed it up with a related issue, which I will mention further down for reference: 1-133724236087

Now, I know I can offer free shipping, but I prefer not to as there is extra time involved in researching shipping rates and determining how much the final price should be, but also, those customers nearer to our state would have to pay more for shipping because the item would have to be priced with the assumption it's always being shipped to the states farthest away from me in order not to lose money on sales from those states.

This is the previous SR number that I received on July 8th, which when I called back to check on it, the rep was describing the other related issue, which I will mention below: 1-120943045370

eBay --- PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Problem 2B: 

This related problem has been resolved, after months of it existing, upsetting customers and making us look bad! It was finally fixed about a month ago. However, I gave the rep the SR number just to see if the case had been marked solved or to see if any updates were applied, which unfortunately, none of them had occurred: 1-119023684277.

Here is what the problem was:

Whenever a Best Offer was accepted by either party (the buyer or the seller), the shipping amount shown to the buyer on the invoice would be the In-Store rate (the higher shipping amount). So, the customer would see $52 and change for the listing, make the offer expecting that to be the final shipping price, only to see almost double that price when the offer was accepted. We had to warn customers about this every time a counteroffer was being made, telling them please don't be alarmed at the higher shipping price, it's an eBay bug and we will send you a revised invoice if you accept the offer. At other times, we had to calm customers down who would think we were trying to pull a fast one on them. So, every time we accepted an offer, I would immediately have to send the customer a revised invoice with the shipping corrected to prevent them from sending me an angry email about this and to ensure they follow through on purchasing the item. When we would counter offer, I would have to be checking the orders page frequently to see if they accepted so I can send them that revised invoice as quickly as possible.

I am glad this is finally fixed, but it shouldn't have taken so long and there was never any communication about it.

I read all the time about sellers leaving eBay and going elsewhere and I am beginning to understand why.

Hi @tiremaxintl, thank you for your patience while we work on this investigation. I believe we may have found the root of the issue and while we work on improvements to prevent this from happening, I do have some advice to try out for a fix in the interim.

It is likely that when this occurs, a seller's shipping preferences regarding passing along discounts to their customers has been updated since the listing was initially created. While we absolutely will work on fixing this gap (and appreciate you bringing this to our attention!), I believe making an edit to the listing will update our system and begin to display the shipping amount correctly in search. Think of it is as when a website doesn't load with updated information and you have to clear your cache & cookies to stop it from accessing archived information. This is similar, as the listing is accurate but our search is accessing the initial settings when the listing was created. 

Give editing the listing in some way a shot and if that doesn't resolve the issue, relist the item. Let me know if this resolves the problem for now and I will be sure to update our tech teams as they work on improvements to avoid this altogether.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply