cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay error might cost us our Top-Rated Status

Ebay lists 7 of our items as "Uploaded on time but no carrier scan"

We checked several of these and they were uploaded and scanned on time and in full compliance with our 1-day handing time. One of these items was shipped LESS THAN 2 HOURS after payment!

An 8th item is listed as "Not uploaded at all" even though WE USE EBAY LABELS and this was also scanned on time.

Customer support is reporting this as an issue but they are unable to remove these obvious ebay mistakes. Instead we have to wait until we lose our top-rated status before they can do anything.

If we lose our top-rated status it could take days to get it back. All because ebay's own system isn’t working right.

1) Please fix the problem with incorrectly listing our items not being uploaded on time

2) Please set it up so customer service can delete obvious ebay errors like this.

3) Please find a way to delete these 8 items from our list

This is completely unfair.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Welcome to the new eBay...

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

The new eBay is going to be the death of many sellers, possibly even myself. I have so many glitches in my buying and selling account. My sales are down 85% since the new update. So very sad as eBay was once a wonderful place to buy and sell.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

I just noticed the same thing in my seller account. 2 items are showing "Transactions missing on-time tracking or carrier scan" with reason "Uploaded on time but no carrier scan". Both items were paid for on Sunday October 29, 2017 mailed Monday October 30th and delivered to the buyers on Wednesday November 1, 2017. USPS Priority Postage purchased and tracked through ebay.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Yes I am screwed by ebay’s Inaccuracy as well. Ebay’s Policies and “punishments” ruin the business of a top seller in the blink of an eye. Ebay’s Policies are like a Nazi kindergarten with zero recourse for the seller. 

Ebay could be run like an actual business, rather than a private school. 

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I just checked again and the erroneous information has been removed. I'm back to 100% on time tracking.
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Ditto! I am currently there and it is not fair....
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

I am a buyer only, and from my perspective, nothing I purchased is shipped UNTIL the carrier scans and acknowledges possession. Too many sellers have taken advantage of the loophole for years that when a label is printed, an item is marked as shipped.  That in itself is a glaring error in the ebay system, but dropping your packages in a USPS blue box afterhours or weekends after the last pickup of the day has ocurred is cheating the system as well as only helping you create  the illusion that something was shipped. All buyers know that the post office does NOT open on Sundays, national holidays, or afterhours just to accept your shipment. Neither do any of the other carriers. My rule of thumb "when the carrier scans and acknowledges it, you shipped it but until then I am  waiting on your action regardless of the ebay posted status.  too many sellers abused that hole for way too long.

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Nothing wrong with looking at this that way, but the other way has validity as well. Not everyone lives near a sorting facility, not all PO substations do their own scanning (I think very few do anymore), the seller has no control over when mail gets moved from drop-off to the next step even if they do mail it quickly. There's at least a half-day's uncertainty no matter how you slice it. In short, it's no more accurate to assign time-significance to the 1st carrier scan than it is to assign it to the label-purchase timestamp. If you drop at UPS or FedEx, they will enter it right then - doesn't mean it leaves that facility that day, or even the next or the next, if it's Friday or the weekend.

Of course sellers can game the label timestamping, but at least it comples them to start the process and provides a tracking number so the buyer can thereafter follow the progress. Still better than just the seller's claim that the package has been shipped.
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Amen! Been saying the same thing for years...
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Valid, yes.  I have on many occasions been up and about (retiree) when the local postal carrier picks up and delivers in my neighborhood. Lived here 42 years and when I have seen him/her, they almost always without fail, scan both package delivered to and packages picked up from resident's boxes. The current USPS scanners have gps in them and report within inches of where the carrier picked up the package and the exact time of delivery or pickup. As failsafe as post office is ever gonna get! My carrier will get messaged or called if the truck is sitting at a given coordinate for more than 6 minutes on a single residential delivery. If you look closely at usps (website) delivery record it usually says "in/at mailbox", "on front porch" or "in chair on porch" type info. USPS is tracking the carrier closer than ebay ever tracks shipping performance by a long shot. If via usps, and not scanned in 48 hours, it's probably still in seller's building The alternates: Fedex mail, ups post, dhl mail only serve to ultimately delay the  delivery by at least 2 days over usps, usually longerwith the swapping back and forth between carriers. Takes a calendar week to travel the the 250 miles from Dallas Tx to my house in Tulsa after the INITIAL ups, dhl or fedex scan in those joint excercises......a complete waste of time. Post office regularly does it in 48 to 72 hours from initial receipt by themselves. I usually dont even bid or BIN if the seller clearly states that my package will transition through multiple carriers.  Sellers are generally getting the benefit of any doubt in the timeliness of the shipping act. Assigning a tracking number, postage label, and calling it shipped at 1130 p.m. on Saturday night is not shipping but is marked as such, ebay and buyers too, know that it will go nowhere for at least another 36 hours on Monday a.m. but if  a holiday then longer. I am not a USPS fan as they also have delays, and ship back and forth to the destination city multiple passes before finally delivering, had one last week go through the Tulsa sort center the third time before they kept it in Tulsa and brought it to me.  In 1860 they were promising (and doing)  St Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento in  10 days on the ponies for $5/per letter !!!!!!!!! My point: when postage is printed and a tracking number assigned, give it to the carrier, now. If not during  carrier's work hours, dont "phantom ship" to me.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

As a seller, I go to the post office, stand in line, have my packages scanned, get a receipt and STILL the tracking info may not be uploaded  for at least 12 hours.  Recently I had some packages not show up until a day and a half.  I am not "gaming" the system but yet and still there is always a delay. 

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

I'm retired too and regularly see the USPS vans in my dense residential neighborhood.  The drivers often take breaks up to 30 minutes or longer and nap or eat.  I walk by them on the way to the PO substation, and on the way back.  My guy does this under the tree in front of my house so I see it all the time.  He's here in the mid-AM so unless I want to wait until the following day, I wouldn't be giving a driver my packages.  It also would pretty hard to rely on finding the guy when I had packages to send. I doubt many sellers do that, or would trust leaving their shipments out by the mailbox for pickup.  Also, if you want quick service, I don't think handing packages off to a guy who spends all day driving through the neighborhoods is faster than dropping at the substations, which run mail to the sorting facilities more than once during the day.

I drop them at one of two substations within 1 mile - one of which is the main town PO - neither of which scans packages (except for international packages from what I can tell which for some dumb reason require the agent to manually copy information from the customs form into the PC).  There is a sorting facility a couple of miles away, where I'm told the scanning occurs.  They have a standard mail drop box (which is probably serviced by a truck, not the sorting facility), but no other drop off services.  The next nearest sorting facility north of that is about 15 miles.  Even the giant long-hours facility at San Francisco Intl airport doesn't scan the mail that arrives there from what they've told me.  Mail goes north to the SF sorting facility, then whatever is going out by plane comes right back to the airport.

I don't follow why you are so keen on the hour by hour significance of printing or courier scanning of labels - given that not all sellers or courier locations are in a position to provide uniform information or speed of next-leg service - and see the imperfections in the system as some kind of cheating by sellers. When you buy standard shipping there is a delivery clock that starts from point of payment.  If the package misses that, you are entitled to complain via feedback.  Likewise if the seller indicates a certain turn-around time and the shipment misses that, you are entitled to complain.  Of course the label-purchase timing can be "gamed" (or the courier scan timestamp can be misleading), but so long as the shipment arrives within the window, why do you feel the seller owes you some personalized fastest-time possible package handling?  eBay doesn't count weekends for shipping, and IMO neither should buyers.  Even sellers deserve a weekend, don't you think?

If you've bough expedited service, then I think you have grounds to expect that both the turn-around time and package drop-off should reflect that, including dealing with the Friday or Saturday cut-offs for getting packages moving through the system.  But again, unless the seller has specifically promised something even faster, so long as the expedited window is met, why would you complain about what you *think* you can devine from reading the timestamps?  Why do you feel the sellers should focus on absolutely minimizing transit time, are your purchases so time critical?  If so you have some control over the delivery date via choice of service.

If you're retired you certainly have seen that modern transit times, eBay or not, are much faster than mail or phone order used to be.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Your point is valid, but I grew up in and retired from a fast- paced career in computer hardware service.  My thought process on delivery response is conditioned by decades of meeting stringent requirements. For failures on enterprise systems (mainframes) affecting multiple employees or critical processes, and parts not locally available, overnight shipping/delivery was NEVER fast enough to satisfy contractual requirements/wording. Next flight out sometimes satisfied the need, if delivered the same day. I, then as a field manager of 5 states have on multiple occasions chartered aircraft to fly a single part from places like Atlanta, Houston, L.A. to remote airports in the USA. I do not expect you to meet the expectations that I fulfilled for 35 years prior to retirement, but one calendar week from payment to delivery is not at all an  unreasonable expectation. I have recieved mailed ebay items from Tucson to Tulsa and been using the item in less than 36 hours from payment with standard priority mail flat rate shipping.  I do not sell because of my physical limitations and mobility and CANNOT meet the expectations that I have for sellers....I then buy only so you will not be disappointed in my response to your purchases.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Nope. Do not accept that as an answer. You keep contacting Customer Service until you get a representative who will see to it that those late scans are taken off.  I have the best results when I use email as a way to communicate with eBay CS. 

Message 15 of 41
latest reply