cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know I received a spoof email this morning. If you get one it will be titled; Member complaint, your response is required - Refund case 000-000-000) There will be numbers where I have placed the zeros. Open the email and it will say; Sorry,this message could not be displayed. Display message content.

DO NOT click on anything in the email!! I have reported it to EBay. The easiest way to tell about these if you are not sure is to view the raw message. You will be able to see the senders email and IP address. In this case it came from France.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

I also just got this one below today , I did forward to Spoof@paypal.com
Also same body of message said  Sorry message cannot be displayed
If you forward to above address they wil look into it , here is Paypal response

Thanks for letting us know about the suspicious email you received.
We'll investigate it, and may contact you with additional details. If
you haven't done so already, delete the email from your inbox. If you
clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious
email or website, log into your PayPal account and view your account
activity. If you see any unauthorized transactions, go to the
Resolution Center to report it. It's also a good idea to change your
password.

spoof.JPG

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

I also just got this one below today , I did forward to Spoof@paypal.com
Also same body of message said  Sorry message cannot be displayed
If you forward to above address they wil look into it , here is Paypal response

Thanks for letting us know about the suspicious email you received.
We'll investigate it, and may contact you with additional details. If
you haven't done so already, delete the email from your inbox. If you
clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious
email or website, log into your PayPal account and view your account
activity. If you see any unauthorized transactions, go to the
Resolution Center to report it. It's also a good idea to change your
password.

spoof.JPG

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

I also received it.

It is a phishing email, but there is no malicious payload in it, just some gibberish strings (hidden by using white text on white background), and a very cluttered link (to visually obfuscate) to what looks like a server in Brazil where they would do their phishy businees (and possible drop a malicious payload - so DO NOT CLICK the link.)

I'm not going to try to go down the rabbithole and follow the link because there is no way to do so without leaving it intact and validating my email address/name combo to them.

What IS interesting about it is that my correct name was on it. If this was targeted and sent only to eBay or PayPal email addresses, it's maybe a strong indicator that they are using data from the eBay breach directly,  or have taken it to the next level with data mining of data combined and filtered from other breaches.

If blasted out in general, it could also be either of the above.

Forward it to spoof@paypal.com, and other wise ignore it (and don't click the link*)

*clicking the link in the email is bad, m'kay,  because

• validates you to them as a link clicker and validates that email address+name (there is, I'm sure, info embedded in that long link that specifically identifies you (encoded email address, an index number to you in their database, etc)
  • exposes you to potential drive by malware when you hit the phishing site

For those curious, here is the base64 decoded body of the email I received (all strings were randomized, formatted with line breaks to display here better, and obfuscating whitespace stripped out)

<div style="font-size: 17px; color: #ffffff;">
JpftZZe8JG8jmzI9nodRgfcgniq</div>
<div style="font-size: 17px; color: #ffffff;">
AzMaVlZ5iOsMjSRvUTdMMDyGo2s</div>
<div style="font-size: 17px; color: #000000; text-align: center;">
We sorry,message content could not be displayed.<br><br>
<a style="display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #666666; font-weight: bold;"
href="http://537-222-833.EqgnMByFJl.JXbjExngQsH2dfLg.tk/cgi-bin/_JvsCoktws65ZRP2xwkpY/
W7TOvkcrVs7OXk7uxyHhznBsxHNRvLz7u4SpkOln/tYlNAA0lBOO7bU96I9bFLvy8HVoVSqyqd6oAJNUK.
OJocOBopEF06mmHNtkvJ-Vq8ht2beiy8eV3Tkh2Rv-b22MZmYcL2yU=/57xyz/" target="_blank">
Show original message</a></div> <div style="font-size: 17px; color: #ffffff;"> LT ciXDGe9tligPXENl0M0B bfrh4 wCKxYfs4WpDqfe Za5i5nnXGfgMq5E UTPS8GZpk4hXY hDWGPlc4rs0zwN8 </div>

Nothing there but the white on white gibberish strings and the long link (to the presumed phishing site). No scripts, no hidden payloads. Simplicity - helps get their phishing email past ISP and AV email filters.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

Thanks, I didn't have any links to click in mine & it didn't have my name.
Plus I never ever click links 
Here is mine

spam 2.JPG

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

Mine showed  "Show Original Message" instead of "Display Message Content" as yours does.

ebay_PayPal_case_resolution_spoof_112017_excerpt.gif

The "Show original message" is the link. What happens when you hover over (don't click) "Display Message Content" in yours? Should show the target link (unless whatever you are viewing it in doesn't provide that functionality or your version of the phishing email is more complex and has scripting to prevent mouseover reveal).

Now I'm curious. Apparently there were at least two slightly different versions in the campaign.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

No good on hover over , doesn't do anything execpt let me click which I won't do.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

EMAIL ALERT!!!!!

Are you using a webmail browser view? (I use old Outlook Express Mail client that let's me do things 🙂

Can whatever you are using let you view the raw source of the email somewhere on the menus?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply