cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see description

Hi anybody else having problems seeing the full description on Ebay UK today workd fine on the Android App but on my PC only get this message vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com sent an invalid response I have tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers all the same.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Cannot see description

This is the US Board.

I don't see your listings, but I wouldn't unless you ship to the US..........

Suggest you post on the UK board........

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

They all look like this....

See Image.

I thought it was just mine but anything i search seems to have a broken description.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

Same issue U.S. Also...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

Having the same problem on my PC, contacted eBay support they are looing into it

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

I just noticed this yesterday and it recurred today.

Did anyone provide you with a solution?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

I talked to a Ebay support rep and he suggested I go to a eye doctor to get a vision test. He said perhaps I need a new set of glasses to view the image properly. He also suggested I buy a monitor that supports braille while I wait on my new glasses. He said with a braille monitor would be easier as I would only have to run my hand across the screen to feel the image.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

I talk to eBay service tec and they are clueless, stating make sure your network software has been up dated. 

I have tried 3 different Browsers.  My wife laptop going through the same router no problem.  

It is related to a specific device. Even my network security people have no idea.  

I am going to try Chrome & Fire fox support.

This sucks!

Ray D

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

Is it a specific item with the issue or all listings? @rayd60

Same error as OP (vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com sent an invalid response) or blank as in the screenshot in post#3?

Both Firefox and Chrome? On what OS?

Post an item number for one or more of the listings with no description.

(If it's what I think it may be, probably no solution, but maybe an explanation.)
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

I see the same AW SNAP in the description area. A lot of sellers are complaining about sales lately. Can this be the problem? How many eBay users around the world see the gray area instead of a description? This is the problem only on one of my Macs and only using a Chrome browser. Safari and Firefox show the description right. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Cannot see description

Have never personally seen that specifically happen, but I don't use Chrome (ever), and you are the only one who stated what browser is in use when it fails.

Google just implemented the next stage in their quest to declare the entire internet insecure in Chrome 68 that rolled out on 7/24/18, but I don't think that is the direct cause of the gray panel issue (assuming it is a Chrome browser caused issue)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/todays-the-day-that-chrome-brands-plain-old-http-as-not-secu...

Chrome may not be flagging eBay pages as insecure directly in the browser address bar, but there may be blocked mixed content, etc issues going on due to lingering HTTP content in listing descriptions. (I assume that "oh snap: icon is a Chrome and not an eBay thing.)

Since it seems to not be a widespread issue, and based on a very small dataset appears to be a Chrome issue, I wouldn't expect anything to get fixed any time soon given all the other more major broken things on the eBay website.

I found the page you screenshot and it displays fine in Firefox 31.

It is however, a relatively complex description section using lots of embedded CSS, faked frames, looks like a bunch of Microsoft Office (Word?) embedded XML garbage, and looks like it was run through GarageSale listing software.

I suspect the nature of that mess is what is causing the problem, and that most "clean" eBay listing descriptions are fine. As to what issue Chrome has with it - I don't know. Doesn't look like mixed-content problem as I speculated above. Maybe the MS XML stuff, or maybe it's choking on the CSS. [ calling an expert ----> @shipscript item# 123274406078 ]

eBay user: "Doctor, Doctor!"
WebDoctor: "What?"
eBay user: "eBay often sucks when I use Chrome"
WebDoctor: "Then don't use Chrome."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply