cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start? Quick rules of thumb for Card Collection

I have about 10,000 cards (mostly Baseball) that were purchased  randomly over an 8 year peroid in the 90's, for my children by their Uncle everytime he came to visit. He would buy the best brands, special editions packs, etc and never removed any, in fact he would at times put them in sleeves and say "That's a good one".  Well the Children are grown and have No intrest (now anyway), the Uncle has long passed and I want these boxes out from under the bed.  I really dont want to sell the whole lot without going through them to some degree.  I am a huge Baseball fan but cards not so much.  I am looking for some good rules of thumb I can follow in quickly seperating these cards out into ones that need a closer look and ones that can go.  I understand there is little market for cards in the 90's but for my kids and the efforts of their Uncle I just cant not save them some  I  was told that refractors and signature cards would be a quick place to start. Is that correct? Because there is ALOT of them.

Any advice would be Greatly appreciated....

Thanks so much

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The good news is that you are a huge Baseball fan and that you realize cards from that era have little value.  I see Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Stadium Club, etc.  The fact that these cards were so drastically over produced means you probably have very few cards of any value.  There really isn't  a quick way to find out.  I would start by sorting the cards by brand, then year, and finally numerically.  This will take some time.  With your knowledge of Baseball, you can then pull cards of superstars.  However, even superstars, from that era, might only have a value of $1.00, and would be a tough sell.   When you mention a LOT of signature cards, I would caution you that many cards were issued with a preprinted facsimile autograph.  Those have no increased value.  You probably have very few, if any, actual autographed cards.  Congratulations to your uncle for buying these gifts for your children and for trying to spark an interest in the hobby in them.  Sadly, the vast majority of what you have is nothing more than kindling.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Just been reading about eyecandy91 and her baseball card collection. And the response from a Sports Cards Dealer

I been a coin collector for 70+ years. People ask us questions like this quite often.

In the coin industry we are able to buy a Red Book Of Coins, Coin World Magazines etc. all over Ebay

Each of them helps somewhat in finding out how many of certain coins were made. And lots of other educational information about collections people inherit.

In the Sports Cards Industry:
What are your suggested books and magazines someone like eyecandy91  asking for help may find use of. ... I realize the values the magazines and books are not very accurate. But at the same time they may help her

Ebay thank you for making this group available

DWB

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Based on my first impression, you have nothing more than a 10,000 count box that I see dropped off every year at the local thrift shop. Conveniently, these always show up right around tax time.

As was mentioned there is no quick way other than to start going through them. I would start thumbing through and see how long it takes to find a star, or an insert card. An unsearched box of that size would have plenty of stars. Simply set aside any cards you feel might have value and do a completed search.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There are monthly Beckett Price magazines for each sport.  Beckett also puts out large annual Price Guide books.   As mentioned, relating to coins, the prices are not true market values.  In my opinion, these guides are mostly valuable as a checklist of the sets and the various inserts, shorter issued parallels, game used memorabilia cards, etc.  For real life price expectations, eBay rules.  Check the sold listings to get an accurate picture of values.  And of course, condition is a very important aspect, when determining value.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Unfortunately, from viewing the photos you posted in regards to your baseball card collection, it appears that the collection is made up of run of the mill, 1990's cards that were produced in such quantity that their value is almost nill.

You might be better off donating them to Goodwill or a Children's Hospital and take the write oiff on your taxes, rather than trying to sell them for next to nothing on here.

Hope that helps

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank You for the kindness
Message 7 of 7
latest reply