cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Baseball NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY

I have a REACH BASEBALL which appears to be very old and I am tryin to identify as much about it as I can.  The first mystery is about the League Name on the ball:  Official Special League.  I cannot find anything on the net about "Special League"  or which league may have used this ball.  Also it is signed by a lot of players and some of the signatures can be made out and some are more faded due to the age of the ball.  I am attaching photos of this ball so any feedback on Special League and or any Players at all that can be itentified so that I can track down the team for this ball - that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks -   S      (PS:  Have MORE PICS - SPACE IS LIMITED HERE)

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Sven, please wait for opinions far more expert than ours to contribute to this thread, but we can get you started just a bit... 

First, that's not a major league baseball -- possibly minor leagues, probably just a ball you'd pick up in any sporting goods store for amateur use.  Major league balls are designated "Official American League" or "Official National League" in the stamping and include a facsimile signature of the league president. 

Depending on your definition of "very old," we wouldn't think it is -- almost certainly post-WWII and possibly much more recent than even that, based on the color of the stitching and the Reach logo.  

We can't make out any of the autographs on the ball except possibly the last one, which looks like an excruciatingly bad attempt to fake a Babe Ruth auto, and if that's what it is, it devalues whatever premium any authentic signatures above it would add.  Best guesses we can make as to those other sigs are "Leon" something at the top and "Carl" or maybe "Chet" as the third one.  

Sorry we don't have happier news for you, but like we said, more knowledeable collectors may be along to provide better information, so hang in there.   We stand ready to be corrected.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks Butch - I didn't think this was a MLB Ball as I have done a lot of research and saw that the AL and NL balls are clearly marked that way.  I was thinking this ball was a minor league ball or even Negro League ball.  I do not think the signatures on this ball are bogus.  They seem very authentic even if from a smaller league.  Yes I noticed the one that resembled Ruth but I reserved any judgement on that until any further authentication.  The one signature that stands out is of Jackson and I cannot quite make out first name but it looks like Gray.  I would like to positively identify some signatures on this ball and find out what team this came from.  Also I am still wanting to get to the bottom of SPECIAL LEAGUE.   Thanks for yout input and I will reply again if I think of anything else from your comments and thank you again for your input and time -  Sven

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Another quick reply that I saw some 1920's Reach Baseballs just now that very much resembled this Ball I have.  The stitching is the same - all Red and the marks seem to be very close.  I am not making any sort of conclusions but I do think it is possible this ball is much older than post WWII.  I am keeping an open view until I can get more concrete conclusions.  Again than you for your input and any other information you find I greatly appreciate it.  Sven

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well, weeks have passed without any fresh input from our sources about the origins of your baseballs.  Your guess is probably as good as ours, but we'd recommend you contact Spalding (makers of the Reach brand of equipment) and ask if they can put a date of production to what you have there.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply