cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Redemption Sports Cards

I see an awful lot of redemption sports cards for sale and I was wondering - are there benefits to selling unclaimed redemption cards vs the actual card (besides the wait to get it back). I know there are as many people who do not want to wait to sell a redemption card as there are who do not want to buy an unscratched card, send it in and wait themselves. Are there other pros/cons?

Would like some experienced opinions, I have unclaimed redemptions and do not know which way to go with them.

Thanks all for your opinions - I appreciate them

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As Always I would first find out how they sold on eBay by doing a search for them than seeing how they did when I chose the option for complete and seen for the date (the earliest, if any) and highest winning bid.

If eBay did not work I would search for a sports auction site and do the same there.

Michael

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@georgcrabtre-0 wrote:

I see an awful lot of redemption sports cards for sale and I was wondering - are there benefits to selling unclaimed redemption cards vs the actual card (besides the wait to get it back). I know there are as many people who do not want to wait to sell a redemption card as there are who do not want to buy an unscratched card, send it in and wait themselves. Are there other pros/cons?

Would like some experienced opinions, I have unclaimed redemptions and do not know which way to go with them.

Thanks all for your opinions - I appreciate them

Often times the value of the card is at it's highest point when the product is new. Many resellers just want to flip the card as fast as they can. Sometimes redemptions are never available delaying the process even longer, and you end up settling for a replacement.

I know a few case buyers that just search for the hits and everything else goes as fast as they bust it. Unless the player is a superstar on the horizon the value almost certainly drops as more product becomes available. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

After my last round of dealing with Topps on my redemption card submissions i will NEVER again make a submission.  All of my redemption cards will be sold as redemptions because Topps is so full of it.  

They sent my autos to me in October 2017 via Fed Ex but of course there was no warning they were coming and required a signature so I received a door tag that they would be delivered the next day.  The next day I got up and was waiting for them when the truck stopped outside my house, sat there for 5 minutes and then drove off.  I contacted Fed Ex and was told they must have been put on another truck that would come later that day.  I waited until much later that day and when nothing happened called again and Fed Ex put a trace on the package.  Long Story short - the package wound up being lost and never showed up in their system again.  It took a month for this to finally be confirmed to Fed Ex and Topps Satisfaction and the claim was processed for $450 ( a combination of Beckett pricing or Ebay if there was no Beckett pricing).  Two of the cards were for my PC and the rest were going to be sold, so I figured I would just be happy with the $450 insurance money.  However Topps finally informed me that they get that money and I would get replacement cards.  Although not thrilled I was okay since I still really wanted those 2 cards only to be told that since my redemptions had been filled and delivered (they consider lost to be delivered because it left their facility) I would have to accept replacement cards from their inventory, which of course only consisted of leftovers from 2016 and before.  They asked for a list of players who I might be interested in and i gave them a list of 25 names and the response was they had none of those so I would have to try again.  

After months of useless going back and forth where they were trying to only give me cards that were overpriced in Beckett while selling or 20-25% of that amount we came up with a list of items that I felt I could sell for enough to purchase the 2 cards I really wanted.  Five weeks later they send them and i get them only to find that the most expensive card in the bunch is not included in those cards that I received.  Instead of a Dansby Swanson Bowman Draft Green REfractor auto i receive a Miguel Sano Gold Refractor auto that sells for about $40 where the Swanson was selling for about $150.  When I contacted Topps i was told that the Swanson card was no longer available so they substituted and equal value card in its place.  Luckily for me the Sano booked lower than the Swanson so they had to allow me to return it for a different card.  We were now already into February and every card I chose after that suddenly was not available when they went to send it to me.  What it was is that every card I chose was selling for at least its book value and Topps Customer Service Manager evidently will not approve anything like that as a replacement, you have to get screwed over in order to get what you should have, even though they got $450 in cash.  Numerous times I said just replace the 2 cards I wanted and we could call the entire thing even, but that is impossible for them.

So I finally threatend to contact Topps CEO with how ridiculous his staff makes it to get what  his company is promising and how stupid it is that supposedly only the Customer Service Manager, who is never in the office from what I have determined, has access to determine if the card that they have offered you is actually available to be mailed.  So the CSR can look in the system and make offers of cards that they supposedly have but ONLY the CSR Manager can see for sure if that card really exists??  One day after making that threat, I was notified that my latest selection (that had already been held up for 3 weeks) was available and shipping that day.  I finally got a purple Topps Chrome (although they referred to it as a Blue one and told me that they knew more about their cards than I did - even when the card was #'d to 250) Schwarber RC which does sell for close to the $120 BV that it is given.

I still would rather have gotten these 2 cards though:

2017 Heritage Real One Auto Francisco Lindor

2017 Stadium Club Foil Board Jason Varitek auto #'d to 10 as he rarely signs things.

But instead wound up with a couple of autos of really good players but value wise not worth much and sentiment wise or PC wise not worth a thing to me:

2011 Gypsy Queen Brooks Robinson auto

2016 Legacies of Baseball Johnny Bench auto

2016 Legacies of Baseball Barry larkin auto

Everything else is not even worth mentioning.  So redeem at your own risk knowing that you might get what you are supposed to quickly (happens sometime), you might have to wait a few months during which time the value can and usually does drop, might have to wait 2+ years like I did for my Koufax Finest Mystery Redemption Auto (after it was announced) or as some, be waiting for 5+ years and get zero response from Topps when you inquire.  Then you might get the complete shaft like I did where their delivery agent loses the package, pays them the value of the package and they then give you something that is worth less than half of what they got paid.

I would always sell them as soon as i get them now, PERIOD !!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Wow! Very unfortunate situation. It doesn't surprise me that Topps handled it this way. I myself would have been in contact with a Fed Ex supervisor on the second day and demanded the name of the driver who left the notice on your door. Something very fishy going on. There should have been some accountability in what happened with that package. Things just don't vanish into thin air.  

Anytime you are forced to settle for replacements it is almost an automatic disappointment. I have never been made whole when dealing with Topps on a replacement. The only time I had a positive experience was with Panini on a football card. I actually got a much better card than the redemption. Only problem is I waited a long, long time before contacting them. I eventually called and got a very professional rep who worked with me and gave me what I asked for.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What was the most disappointing was that the CSR would come up with a replacement that i could live with and then the card would suddenly not be available when they go to ship it 5 weeks later,  It was frustrating as all heck.

I was in contact with the Fed Ex manager the next day and they supposedly searched high and low for the package but it just never showed up again.  It was a new driver so for all I know he left it at another delivery by accident or just decided to take it home when he realized what Topps was.  I am hoping that he lost his job over it but of course they cannot ever reveal that information. 

But I was most upset that they would not just replace the cards I was supposed to get since I never received them and it was their agen who in fact lost them.  If I had designated the delivery service to use it would have been one thing, but I had no control over it and Topps just pocketed the insurance money and laughed all the way to the bank.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks- after this, that's the way I am leaning too.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply