cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

RIP to both Bud Obermeyer and Al Rosen.....

I realize Lindy mentioned Bud's passing already.....I appreciated all of his posts as well as all of the messages we exchanged on a variety of topics.   Truly a very knowledgble resource....this board has not been the same since he stopped posting last summer..  

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Thank you for posting that.  The early days of this board were a great resource for so many collectors such as myself.  Bud was always around to help collectors in any way.  Ebay does

not know/or care what they lost when they chose to close down that board. 

I learned so much from Bud and others on this board that really helped me with my collecting.

In fact he got me into type  1 photo's which whas a great dirrection for me.

I never met Bud, but knew him for a number of years and he was never at a lose to try to

help me with my collection.

Glad I knew you sir 🙂 Rest in peace!

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Bud certainly was a great contributor to this board.....His overall knowledge (and willingness to share such) of the vintage side of the hobby was matched by few.....

My condolences to his family.

RIP Bud

Bill

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Bud's knowledge was clearly above most of us that have frequented this board over the years IMO. His willingness help others, and put those in their place that needed to be put in their place (always using his selling ID) earned him much respect. His presence and contributions will be missed and never forgotten.

RIP - Bud Obermeyer

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

To All The Old Chat Room Friends and new ,I tried so hard to post this .I was so upset with this new board.That was not the way I wanted to post. Finally when I saw a name I new I posted.

Sandy didn't we all get help from Bud.In our home he was a house hole name.He was Our Friend Our Brother.We wrote back and forth for so many years .

So many didn't know how smart he really was. He Never would tell anyone.

As I was going through my Sports Baseball Trading Card Digest the one the was 3 or 4 " thick,  

I was trying to learn what all of you already knew.

To my surprise I was looking at the acknowledge Not to read i,it was purely accidental .That book received information to write about those Baseball Cards.From the very Man, RIP Mr Bud. I have been Praying for him since Augest They were seeing some hope until ???

If he was your frind you were very lucky.He would help anyone.

My eyes are to wet so I will stop.

We were lucky to call him friend.He will be missed by many.

To Bud with Love

Lindy Roars  -  1 last time for You

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

I just saw this now, this is terrible news.  I used to on this board a lot and Bud was one of the nicest most helpful guys here, a super nice person.  I even used to email him sometimes to talk and usually i had some card question to ask him.  He was a great guy, and i feel terrible about this.  RIP my friend.

DaBig

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

**bleep**.. this sucks... when I thought about this board... I thought about Bud... you will be misssed my friend... and you were my friend.... from the beginning.. god bless..

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Hi Everyone-- My 1st visit to this Board in many months and just learned about the passing of Bud Obermeyer. What terrible news as I was pretty good friends w/ him--we EM'd quite often back & forth.

I quit visiting here when the changes became unbearable and the day I check in have to hear this--so sad we couldn't keep up our cyber friendship.

I see a few of you are still around & posting---Miss the old Board alot!

Fred---fyoung17

If you are not supposed to stick Q-Tips in your ears, then what in the hell are they for? Ole' Don swears by 'em!
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Smiley Sad

Have not been out here in a long time with a question, but as others have commented, Bud was always great, polite, never made you feel dumb, no matter what the question.

A loss.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Very sad news.  Bud and I used to have it out on the old boards (it was a lot of fun back then) but eventually we settled our differences.  He even made a few deals with me for cards.  I miss the old board, especially Bud (and Fred).  RIP

Pat "Mintacular"

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Haven't visited this board in over a year...but used to visit it very frequently.  Bud was a fixture here, answered many of my questions and helped me complete a few sets.  Very sad to hear this news.

Rob

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

This has not been a good year for those who spent their lifetime involved in the hobby....early this week, Jeff Fritsch, the son of Larry Fritsch, passed away. 

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

Bud was a STOREBOOK of KNOWLEDGE . . . and a GENTLEMAN.  I ALWAYS read his POSTS on E-Bay sites.  WONDERFULLY HELPFUL!  I met Alan Rosen at a CARD SHOW in Brooklyn, NY in the 1980's.  He ENERGIZED and ADVERTISED the hobby for ALL of US just by BEING HIMSELF.  Purchased SEVERAL ITEMs from the FRITSCH FAMILY in the 1980'S as well.  Great to do BUSINESS with and MODEL HOBBY SELLER.  Sad . . . . . They will ALL be MISSED.  

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

I have wanted to post here for a long time. But I was too sad. And it makes me cry. How can one person who was solid, always available if anyone needed help, a considerate and kind man with a wicked humor, and a cutthroat poker player, have a freak accident and then be gone? 

I miss him still. Bud was there for me in 2003 when I accidently found the Trading Card Chat Room. I loved baseball and loved vintage cards and I owned quite a few then. I knew nothing about eBay, nor computers, nor how to even chat on the boards! I had no eBay lingo, certainly no 'puter skills, or knowledge of 'computer speak'.

I should have been laughed out of the community. Some people tried to humiliate me - but BUD wouldn't allow that bull**bleep**. He was fair to everyone and was kind even to those who tried to throw mud or attack his family. I learned how to be a better human being by learning patience and serenity from Bud. 

He also taught me to play poker - good poker! I watched him play 3 tables at a time. He was an excellent player! Tough and smart! I entered a tourney with 2,000 others (using play money) on-line. Bud watched as I slogged through, table by table, inching forward up the leaderboard - until (wholy **bleep**ski!) I made it to the final table! I had never entered any tournament before. I was shocked - yet Bud, the honest and kind man who never gave false praise when you were wrong - said to me: "Nance, you deserved to be at that final table! Don't let anyone make you think differently!

Bud also knew everything about baseball because he had lived and breathed it since being a kid in NYC. He knew it's history, players, owners, coaches, statistics, and every back story to every famous play made on that coveted muddy field.

I miss you, BUD. You are a CLASS ACT.

-- Nance 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

RIP Bud and Mr Mint

There will be many more of these in the upcoming years as the hobby gets older and those that love it do as well. Sadly, there won't be many to take the place of Bud. I met Alan Rosen in 1989 as a 14 year old collector/dealer in New Jersey. If anyone ever screamed bombast, arrogance, excess and greed in the hobby, it was Mr. Mint. He was a true representative of that time. A time we will never, ever see again.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply