cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with shipping labels

hi everyone,

I have noticed that after ebay rolled out the new shipping label page certain things have been acting up. I would click on the options to choose shipping type and weight, etc..  i would click on something on the page and it change the shipping type.  For example: I clicked for expedited shipping and logged in to paypal for payment. When i come back to the label page to complete paying for the label the shipping type changed to parcel shipping.  I noticed this happening on all my sales after the new page was rolled out. It totally messed up one of my shipments. I had  wanted a expedited label but it was actually a parcel shipping label. i didn't catch it and had shipped the item with the wrong type of label. 

Has anyone else noticed this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: problems with shipping labels

As it appears you are not Top Rated it would make more sense for you to use the eBay authorized shipping label provider Pirateship to create your labels. They will give you commercial pricing, $100 insurance and cubic pricing. After becoming Top Rated then eBay labels will give you commercial pricing less a 3% discount; $100 insurance, but not cubic pricing. Cubic pricing for small packages may still be cheaper with Pirateship even with the Top Rated 3% discount. If you have small package then you can easily compare eBay's Top Rated pricing and Pirateship by bookmarking the Pirateship site; having you browser remember your user name and password; and then importing your eBay order with a click of the import button.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

thanks for the reply @anthology-of-treasures , but that's not why i posted my question..  i was wondering if other people had experience the same thing i did when using the ebay shipping thing.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Yes, there have been a multitude of problems with the new system. My main account is still using the older system; however, I have used the new label system with some other newer eBay accounts.

I've immediately noticed these problems:

• Too large of a interface. Even with dual 24" screens I don't want to see such a bloated interface obviously intended for mobile devices. They are suppose to use media screen queries to delivery different interfaces to different devices --- not the one-size-fits all approach to save money.
  • Ineffecient interface. Obviously made by someone who sits behind a desk but does not sell and ship items.
  • Does not remember changes user made.
  • Rates disappears, causing you to refresh the entire webpage. Sometimes your changes are erased again leading to and endless loop.
  • eBay disables Media Mail if you use a category not in books. Yep, eBay has been in business since 1995 and eBay management does not know its beneficial to list books in categories that are related to the subject of the book and not books
  • Does not accept fractional box sizes. Highlights input field in red if a fractional value is entered.

There were also a few problems with the old they never fixed.

• Fractional box sizes.
  • Occasionally does not remember multiple changes when you click the save button - it may only save one change - i.e., save a change in the weight, but not a service change.
  • A series of endless error messages. I've noticed a strong trend with these. If you withdraw your entire payment from PayPal and immediately try to create a label there is a good chance of an error occuring. If you wait 5 or so minutes there is little chance of an error. Using your PayPal balance or eBay/PayPal credit card do not produce errors. PayPal has historically made it difficult to use your credit card - they want you to use your balance or their credit card as it saves them money. Previously one could not even use your credit card without first withdrawing all your funds. I think it may be some legacy code related to these efforts that is causing many of the errors as these only occur after eBay starts interfacing with PayPal. No such errors are seen with Pirateship's interface with eBay.

You can of course avoid all the problems with the new label system, at least until they get it fixed, by using Pirateship, aside from getting more insurance and cubic pricing. You can also enter fractional box sizes and they will not be rounded up or produce an error. A quick and immediately solution.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply