cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay shipping scam2

ebay has decided if they think a package is overweight at delivery they can come and take the difference out of your account. Trying to use the purchase agreement with PayPal to say this is legal. I read the full agreement even the small print. Nowhere does it say they can do this.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: ebay shipping scam2

@arlingtontxjunkshop 

If it was shipped using USPS, USPS will charge you if the postage paid wasn't enough to cover the shipping.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Well, you've written this post twice, so it must be important to you... but you need to give us details if you want some ideas, support, solutions, etc. 

Did the buyer say they were charged more for shipping at delivery?

Did the buyer file a claim against you for the difference?

I don't understand how Ebay would of gotten involved in something like this at delivery, or post delivery.  Please give more details.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

eBay charged me. No message just a surprise charge.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

and the shipping cost was more than covered by original label.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Did you re-weigh the box after it was packed and taped up?  A couple ounces of newsprint, foam and tape can make a difference, especially likely on bigger heavier items.   It's called cost adjustments for shipping labels and it's from the Automated Package Verification System at the PO.  They use it to ensure the postage is correct.  If not they charge your account but they also credit if you've overpaid.   It's easier for them to collect postage due now because printed labels have an electronic trail.   If you buy postage at the counter there is no trail.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@arlingtontxjunkshop wrote:

eBay charged me. No message just a surprise charge.

as posted by toysaver, this is a charge from USPS not eBay.

When USPS determines that a package does not have the correct postage they will do a chargeback via the method used to pay for the label.

Sometimes the charges are in error. There is a procedure provided to contest the charge.

Errors can be from an incorrect barcode on the package. There was some of that reported last year where some Priority boxes were coded incorrectly by the manufacturer.

Sometimes things can piggyback on the scanner(rarely) that checks the items causing an incorrect weight.

Packaging may not meet the Class selected when shipping.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

When you buy a shipping label on eBay, they are taking your word for the weight and size of the package. When the carrier, PO or FedEx,  gets the package if it is heavier or bigger than you specified, they will charge eBay for the difference. eBay then passes this extra cost to you, charging your account, or adding the cost to your invoice.

FedEx is notorious for adding charges to packages where the seller miscalculated size or weight.  If you have any doubt about the cost of mailing something, have it checked out by the carrier before turning it over.

Whenever the postal service's APV needs to make an adjustment, I get a message from ebay.  My latest adjustment states:

We’ve attempted to charge or refund your account

Some of your shipping labels have cost adjustments

Hi xxxx,

The US Postal Service has let us know that some of your recent shipping labels required a cost adjustment. That means you paid too much or too little for the actual cost of shipping. You can see some of your adjustments below or view all shipping label cost adjustments in your eBay account.

We’ve attempted to charge or credit your account. If we were unable to successfully charge your account, you may see the charge on your invoice.

What you need to get right when shipping your item:

• Package weight
  • Package dimensions
  • Shipping service

If you think these adjustments are incorrect, you can contact USPS Customer Care at 1-844-819-5187 or verifypostagehelp@usps.gov to open a dispute. USPS will respond within 5-15 business days.

--

I received a refund of $2.07.  I paid for a 2 pound package (It weighed 17-18 ounces) but it sounds like the package weighed 16 ounces when it arrived at the distribution center).

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Last summer I shipped dozens of small flat rate boxes that were older and lacked QR scan codes on them and for each I was charged a medium flat rate via cost adjustments.  I was able to appeal and win on all of them by showing what was shipped, usually a handful of spoons or forks and stating if there would be 95% void space in a MFR box.   I had the items stored in the older boxes but now make sure only new boxes are used for shipping.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply