cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay NOT helping with Industry Shipping delays

Now with every sale I am sending the following message to Buyers. 

"Dear ________,

First and foremost, thank you for the purchase and your business.  Second, you will have to disregard eBay’s estimated delivery date. They are out of touch with what is actually happening with carriers.  Normally I don’t message like this after a sale but with all the late deliveries from USPS under staffing (from Covid-19) and increased volume from Holiday shopping deliveries are running behind in many areas.  Numerous customers have messaged me about this issue in the last few weeks.  The situation is out of Sellers’ control and out of eBay’s control and we are doing our best to deal with it.  Therefore, please do not hesitate to message me if your item runs late so I am aware of it.

Best regards,

Mr. L "

For weeks I have been asking eBay to push back the window for Buyers to process INR claims because carriers are overloaded PLUS under staffed in many areas because of Covid-19 quarantines.  eBay's unwillingness to adjust to what is happening in the real world and the shipping industry is irresponsible.  eBay should be adjusting Buyer expectations with banner messages alerting them of industry delays on the site as well as the cart and purchasing process.  Sellers on the front line know what's going on, eBay's failure to listen and take action is irresponsible.

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Hi Mr. L 😁

You know why eBay is not gonna push the ETA back...b/c if they did, many buyers may just go onto another online site...floating on the river...that has a similar or the same ETA that eBay is currently showing.

I have been lucky and haven't suffered much wrath from my buyers - most of my packages have been a little late but not overly so.

I'm sorry that you are having larger issues with shipping delays...USPS is charging us all a wee bit more during the holiday season for extra help (from what I heard).  Let's hope that they follow through with that "extra help" thing...🙄

Message 2 of 83
latest reply

I've had a few packages that I've had to open an inquiry with through USPS.

Thankfully all of the buyers have been very understanding.

All got to their destination eventually, some later rather than sooner though.

Message 3 of 83
latest reply

I got a similar message with my LL Bean order confirmation and again with the tracking info. 

Message 4 of 83
latest reply

@mr_lincoln 

Yep, eBay has lost it's mind.  All of my First Class packages going out today are showing the buyer's estimated delivery dates of Monday the 7th or Tuesday the 8th and all are in Zones 6-8.  Will see I guess...maybe Santa's reindeer have come down from the North Pole to help with the mail.

Message 5 of 83
latest reply

Best to just put 5/10 days 'handling' on your items; then the 'estimated delivery date' will be pushed out to 'real times'...but more times than not (9 out of 10) item will get to customer 'early' and you don't have to send an 'excuse' email. Besides, sending that message may not be the case with most shipments and now you are alarming your customer for no reason.

Message 6 of 83
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

I got a similar message with my LL Bean order confirmation and again with the tracking info. 

@kathieskorner   Thanks so much for sharing that from a Buyer's perspective ... give that Seller credit, they KNOW what's going on.  The vast majority of Sellers just want to run their business servicing their customers and earning some money.  eBay's inability to help them at times is very frustrating (in case you can't tell I am frustrated with them on this issue LOL?!?).

Regards,
Message 7 of 83
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Best to just put 5/10 days 'handling' on your items; then the 'estimated delivery date' will be pushed out to 'real times'...but more times than not (9 out of 10) item will get to customer 'early' and you don't have to send an 'excuse' email. Besides, sending that message may not be the case with most shipments and now you are alarming your customer for no reason.

@corvettestainless   No, if memory serves eBay takes the ACTUAL time a Seller ships in to consideration when they generate the estimated delivery dates, they stated that on a Weekly Chat a while back if memory serves.  The other issue is I offer 1 day handling as part of the TRS Plus status to earn the 10% FVF discount (oh yeh, that used to be 20% but that's for another day).

I should NOT have to adjust what I do because eBay is unwilling to make a "global" adjustment on the venue.

Regards,
Message 8 of 83
latest reply

You shouldn't have to, but you have to. This time of year with this CV19 on top of it, not sure the 10% is really worth it..but that is up to each individual. 10% of 10% is 1%....

Message 9 of 83
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

You shouldn't have to, but you have to. This time of year with this CV19 on top of it, not sure the 10% is really worth it..but that is up to each individual. 10% of 10% is 1%....

@corvettestainless   Yes, they disguise the FVF 1% Discount as something really big like 10% ... thank you and I get the math.  To me it's a discount off my Store Subscription ... and prior to Covid it was upwards of 2/3s the monthly Store Subscription ... now it's less than half ...

Regards,
Message 10 of 83
latest reply

I have 10 day handling times and have found that does not help.  Eb still will update the EDD shown to buyers once the package is scanned by USPS.  So I can offer 10, 15, 30 days handling times and Eb will update the estimated delivery dates and my buyers can file INR cases based on the updated times, not the times that were shown in the original listings.  I send an e-mail to buyers with each purchase to please allow 7-10 days for delivery.  Privately, I am begging the buyers to wait 7-10 days before filing INR's.  I am stunned that Eb does not help us with this issue.  And not all of us can afford to use other, more expensive carriers with our lower cost items.  I depend on USPS FC with my 10-20 dollar items.

Message 11 of 83
latest reply

@oldold-timer wrote:

I have 10 day handling times and have found that does not help.  Eb still will update the EDD shown to buyers once the package is scanned by USPS.  So I can offer 10, 15, 30 days handling times and Eb will update the estimated delivery dates and my buyers can file INR cases based on the updated times, not the times that were shown in the original listings.  I send an e-mail to buyers with each purchase to please allow 7-10 days for delivery.  Privately, I am begging the buyers to wait 7-10 days before filing INR's.  I am stunned that Eb does not help us with this issue.  And not all of us can afford to use other, more expensive carriers with our lower cost items.  I depend on USPS FC with my 10-20 dollar items.

@oldold-timer   This is EXACTLY what I am talking about.  The FIX is as I have posted here, the Weekly Chat AND BEFORE THANKSGIVING!  Anybody with half a brain could figure this out and make the necessary changes for INR processing ... I never hesitate to give eBay credit where credit is due but likewise, when they need to change an obvious problem and drag their feet then they get ZERO credit.

Am I beating this one to death?  You BET I am and for good reason ... this week if I don't get an extension of the INR claim and/or the item delivered its a $ 68 dollar reason ...

Regards,
Message 12 of 83
latest reply

There is only so much they can do with these estimated delivery dates. They probably cannot go on to extend these WAY WAY OUT FOR ALL of the shipments. This entire fiasco is USPS fault. I had to send two packages this week Priority instead of Fed Ex becuase one was a military base purchase and FED ex wont go there. The other was a PO BOX. BOTH have completely screwed up tracking, late, one looks like it dropped off into nowhere . Completely disgusting service. NO problems for me with FED EX-everything gets there quick.

Message 13 of 83
latest reply

People at Fed Ex do not go on extended leaves, decide they do not want to work and then get paid anyway like the USPS workers. FED EX runs their business like clockwork and is a real business. USPS is probably loosing a lot of folks becuase they just do not want to work in this pandemic and they cannot hire enough people. Fed Ex seems to have their act together.

Message 14 of 83
latest reply

Every single purchase I have made on Amazon prime gets to me yesterday. Good job Jeff B.

Message 15 of 83
latest reply