cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Global Shipping Program

philatel
Adventurer

Postal rates have gone up - yes, but eBay is sticking it to buyers. I find their global shipping rates exorbitant. If one uses USPS the price is about one-half to one-third. of the eBay prices. Additionally e-Bay also takes a cut on the postage so they are making off everyone

Is any one finding this to be a concern?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: eBay Global Shipping Program

I recently made a purchase for a advert out of a magazine which fit into a med envelope. $5.99 + $4.00 shipping. Oh yes he was on the Global Program........... add $13.65 for import = $23.64

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

But they can opt out after the bid, as long as it is not yet paid for.
Message 32 of 40
latest reply

This issue  is a real money winner for eBay.

eBay charges for auction items won are based on  a) the price of the winning bid and b) postal charges the purchaser has to pay. Thus the higher the postal charges the more money that comes to eBay.

There does not seem to be any concern that eBay is taking a percent of the postal charges. They are quite open and clear about this.

Does anyone know whether eBay declares this portion of their earnings to the various postal authorities? Also have there been any legal actions brought against this policy of charging for a service they do  not provide?

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

@toysntiques wrote:
But they can opt out after the bid, as long as it is not yet paid for.

No. The GSP is locked into the listing. If the seller opts out while the auction is running, the item still ships through the GSP. The seller would have to end the listing and then opt out and then relist in order to avoid using the GSP.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@philatel wrote:

They are quite open and clear about this.

Does anyone know whether eBay declares this portion of their earnings to the various postal authorities? 

You might not be quite clear on this.

The various postal authorities merely charge for postage; there is no comprehensible reason to report any earnings to the postal authorities.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@philatel wrote:

eBay charges for auction items won are based on  a) the price of the winning bid and b) postal charges the purchaser has to pay. Thus the higher the postal charges the more money that comes to eBay.

There does not seem to be any concern that eBay is taking a percent of the postal charges. They are quite open and clear about this.

Does anyone know whether eBay declares this portion of their earnings to the various postal authorities? Also have there been any legal actions brought against this policy of charging for a service they do  not provide?

You were told six months ago that you were wrong about this, and you're still wrong. Shipping FVF for international sales is charged on the lowest domestic rate quoted in the listing, not the full amount the international buyer pays.

And why on Earth would eBay have to report this portion of their earnings to anyone besides the IRS and their shareholders? No, there hasn't been any legal action, because there's no basis for any.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

I avoid sellers who are using the Global Shipping program. The cost is too high and the speed of delivery non existent! I bought an item last Thursday week, paid for Fed ex delivery, it was in my hands the following Monday. US to Australia AND it had been through Customs. An item I purchased 8 days earlier, according to GSP tracking, hasn't even left the US yet! So 2 weeks and it still hasn't left the US.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

The Global shipping Program is rediculously priced. The cost of this service is fleeced off buyers like us.  Everything I buy on ebay I have to buy in American Dollars, so I am already paying 25% more for my item, and then, I have to pay for Global shipping, which I am certain is at least twice or more the cost if the seller went to the Post Office themselves. I often pay more for shipping, than I do for an item. Sometimes I have to pay Duties on that too, not an Ebay issue, but still an added cost.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

I have been hearing so many negative responses about the Global Shipping program over the last year and a half! Yet, I have only had one customer complain.

I am trying to provide the best complete buying experince foe all my customers... So, I added alternative shipping options to my listings for international shipping.

During the first 3 months or so every International sale was GSP  until one customer asked if I could do better on the shipping price.  I asked them which shipping price where they refering to? There reply: "The one thats to high." Really?

So, being pragmatic, I took global shipping away as an option and let them know to check again.

There response: "Oh! That's better!" 

They then purchsed the item and all was well!

I sent them a message asking them if they had been able to see multiple options for the shipping?  And how much had they been?

No response...

Over the years when I've had International customers ask for a lower price or lower shipping cost (GSP), I have asked how much is ebay charging?  And I've never had a direct answer!!!

Maybe someone in this conversation could answer the main question:

When I select GSP and other shipping options, do you see the optional direct shipping at all?

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

When I select GSP and other shipping options, do you see the optional direct shipping at all?

No.  Buyers only see the gsp option.  

If you want to see what buyers see, go into one of your listings, click on the shipping tab, change the location and click on get rates. 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply